Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

The Ultimate Ranger Build

---THIS IS A BOW BUILD---

This is my first post... I believe my build allows the ranger ,which is commonly seen as an underpowered class, to inflict large amounts of damage while staying alive. This build is mainly a DEXTERITY-based, so for all of you strength rangers, this may not be the build for you.

STATS (Level 138) : Strength 75 (150)
Dexterity 365 (485)
Focus: 15
Vitality: 260

These are the stats I use. So basically, have a little strength, enough to make your auto attacks do a decent amount of damage. Put in AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN in dexterity. For focus, use as many points as you need, but don't waste too many; it depends if you have regen items or not. For vitality, you will not need too much, since a ranger has built in survivability skills, like bolas.

So, as a summary for stats, VITALITY and FOCUS levels are your choice, but for this build put in tons of points in dexterity and the rest in strength.

SKILLS: ('+' means worth thinking about using, '++' means MUST use, '-' means not recommended.)

---SKILLS IN ITALICS ARE JUST 'THE REST' WHICH I DON'T RECOMMEND USING, SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING, SKIP THOSE.---

Longshot ++ : This skill is key for dex rangers. It provides massive damage, especially when its level is boosted with rings, and the pin is a nice addition. While you are using bolas this will provied constant high damage.

Sharp shot ++ : This skill is also key for dex rangers. Many rangers argue that its damage is too low, but when maxed and combined with high dex it provides high damage.

Light heal ++ : A MUST USE SKILL. High, consistent healing to keep you alive while fighting. Just a great skill.

Rapid shot ++ : A good skill, I do not put any points in it but it is still a good skill at level 1 to allow a quick burst of auto attacks. I do not recommend levelling it up for this build since it relies on auto attacks which rely on strength.

Bolas ++ : A MUST USE SKILL. An amazing skill to keep your opponents at range and to keep being able to use longshot on them. Helps damage (since you can keep longshotting) AND survivability. Upgrade it as much as you need to to keep it's effect able to effect around 10-15 levels higher than you are.

Double shot + : This skill is alright since you have points in strength, and even at level 1 can be used as a guaranteed auto attack. I wouldn't highly recommend it for this build though.

Sharpen Weapons + : A nice skill to boost damage. PERSONALLY I prefer steady aim, but I think it is fine to use either sharpen weapons OR steady aim in this build.

Steady aim + : This is a nice skill to make your auto attacks and chance to hit higher, so your auto attacks do nice damage while you wait for your skills to reload. I would recommend EITHER using sharpen weapons OR steady aim for this build, not both.

Entangle + : Could be useful, but I think bolas is better for protecting yourself. If you want to be more of a support ranger, use this.

Barbed shot - : I strongly recommend NOT to use this skill. Its damage is low and unreliable.

Camoflauge - : Not recommended since it is not a combat skill.

Conceal - : Definetly not recommended since it is a bad version of camoflauge which lasts less, even if it is for a group.

Bandage Wounds - : Since you have light heal which is a much higher heal, do not use this skill.

Defensive Spikes - : Low damage and overall not very helpful.

Explosive Arrow - : Low damage and the AOE could get more mobs than you want on you. Only recommended for farming.

GEAR:

ARMOUR: For armour, just use what is available to you. Upgrade your armour as much as you can, try to get ancient gear from the shalemont trader and stonevale trader. From 60 onwards, ALWAYS try to get warden gear, and then at level 80, try to get meteoric and then at 105 try to get frozen meteoric gear. I would not recommend buying adamant, topaz or flint armour since it is expensive and not much better than warden gear.
At higher levels, buy the armour which is best for your level.

WEAPON & OFFHAND: Use whatever bow is best for you level. Stick to warden, meteoric and frozen meteoric bows from level 80 to 130. Buy an adamant bow if you have the money and go on from there. Buy the best bows you can at higher levels and use the dragonlord bow when you have it...
For offhands, buy quivers at different level checkpoints. From 1-50, if you have the money buy a quiver from Quigley, mostly for the regeneration. Then, buy a quiver from the otherworld lux shop. From there keep upgrading throughout the lux shops. I DO NOT recommend the quivers which have low damage but a haste bonus. They are more for pure strength rangers.

JEWELLERY:

NECK: Aim for 20 health and 20 energy regen amulet at lower levels, and at higher levels, aim for event amulets, for example the spectral amulet of midnight which adds 100 magic damage to your attacks. Always try to get the amulets which give you EITHER lots of dexterity OR both strength AND dexterity.

BRACELETS: Any you can get your hands on. At levels 100+ try to get the regen bracelets from the carrowmore luxury trader, since this will allow you to put less points in focus and more in dexterity and/or strength. At 150+, you can try to buy regen bracelets from the 150 luxury shop, for the same reason, OR , if you are rich enough, buy event bracelets with unique effects.

RINGS: Try to buy, or find skill rings, I like having two +5 longshot rings for massive damage, and a light heal ring, and a bolas ring. If you get bolas rings you will be free to add more points into different skills, thus increasing your damage.

CHARMS: I use a shrink charm! I know, it is useless for damage, BUT I LOVE IT. But for this build, I recommend charms that add to stats. They are very effective.

FIGHTING:
Now finally, how to conduct an effective fight on mobs to kill them as fast as you can. This is the way I do it and I do A LOT of damage:
Leveling:
1. Steady Aim
2. LONGSHOT , lots of damage and the enemy is pinned in place.
3. While the enemy is pinned in place, BOLAS. They will not have time to run to you quickly.
4. SHARP SHOT, some high damage.
5. RAPID SHOT, high burst of damage.
6. If the mob isn't dead yet, run around to make it further away through BOLAS
7. If you need to, re cast BOLAS.
8. LIGHT HEAL whenever you are low health.
9. REPEAT

Bosses:
This is more simple. Just stay far away and cast all your skills to damage the boss as much as you can. IF NEEDED, bolas the boss to allow someone to kite it.

Thank you for reading.

Re: The Ultimate Ranger Build

---THIS IS A BOW BUILD---

This is my first post... I believe my build allows the ranger ,which is commonly seen as an underpowered class, to inflict large amounts of damage while staying alive. This build is mainly a DEXTERITY-based, so for all of you strength rangers, this may not be the build for you.

STATS (Level 138) : Strength 75 (150)
Dexterity 365 (485)
Focus: 15
Vitality: 260

These are the stats I use. So basically, have a little strength, enough to make your auto attacks do a decent amount of damage. Put in AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN in dexterity. For focus, use as many points as you need, but don't waste too many; it depends if you have regen items or not. For vitality, you will not need too much, since a ranger has built in survivability skills, like bolas.

So, as a summary for stats, VITALITY and FOCUS levels are your choice, but for this build put in tons of points in dexterity and the rest in strength.

SKILLS: ('+' means worth thinking about using, '++' means MUST use, '-' means not recommended.)

---SKILLS IN ITALICS ARE JUST 'THE REST' WHICH I DON'T RECOMMEND USING, SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING, SKIP THOSE.---

Longshot ++ : This skill is key for dex rangers. It provides massive damage, especially when its level is boosted with rings, and the pin is a nice addition. While you are using bolas this will provied constant high damage.

Sharp shot ++ : This skill is also key for dex rangers. Many rangers argue that its damage is too low, but when maxed and combined with high dex it provides high damage.

Light heal ++ : A MUST USE SKILL. High, consistent healing to keep you alive while fighting. Just a great skill.

Rapid shot ++ : A good skill, I do not put any points in it but it is still a good skill at level 1 to allow a quick burst of auto attacks. I do not recommend levelling it up for this build since it relies on auto attacks which rely on strength.

Bolas ++ : A MUST USE SKILL. An amazing skill to keep your opponents at range and to keep being able to use longshot on them. Helps damage (since you can keep longshotting) AND survivability. Upgrade it as much as you need to to keep it's effect able to effect around 10-15 levels higher than you are.

Double shot + : This skill is alright since you have points in strength, and even at level 1 can be used as a guaranteed auto attack. I wouldn't highly recommend it for this build though.

Sharpen Weapons + : A nice skill to boost damage. PERSONALLY I prefer steady aim, but I think it is fine to use either sharpen weapons OR steady aim in this build.

Steady aim + : This is a nice skill to make your auto attacks and chance to hit higher, so your auto attacks do nice damage while you wait for your skills to reload. I would recommend EITHER using sharpen weapons OR steady aim for this build, not both.

Entangle + : Could be useful, but I think bolas is better for protecting yourself. If you want to be more of a support ranger, use this.

Barbed shot - : I strongly recommend NOT to use this skill. Its damage is low and unreliable.

Camoflauge - : Not recommended since it is not a combat skill.

Conceal - : Definetly not recommended since it is a bad version of camoflauge which lasts less, even if it is for a group.

Bandage Wounds - : Since you have light heal which is a much higher heal, do not use this skill.

Defensive Spikes - : Low damage and overall not very helpful.

Explosive Arrow - : Low damage and the AOE could get more mobs than you want on you. Only recommended for farming.

GEAR:

ARMOUR: For armour, just use what is available to you. Upgrade your armour as much as you can, try to get ancient gear from the shalemont trader and stonevale trader. From 60 onwards, ALWAYS try to get warden gear, and then at level 80, try to get meteoric and then at 105 try to get frozen meteoric gear. I would not recommend buying adamant, topaz or flint armour since it is expensive and not much better than warden gear.
At higher levels, buy the armour which is best for your level.

WEAPON & OFFHAND: Use whatever bow is best for you level. Stick to warden, meteoric and frozen meteoric bows from level 80 to 130. Buy an adamant bow if you have the money and go on from there. Buy the best bows you can at higher levels and use the dragonlord bow when you have it...
For offhands, buy quivers at different level checkpoints. From 1-50, if you have the money buy a quiver from Quigley, mostly for the regeneration. Then, buy a quiver from the otherworld lux shop. From there keep upgrading throughout the lux shops. I DO NOT recommend the quivers which have low damage but a haste bonus. They are more for pure strength rangers.

JEWELLERY:

NECK: Aim for 20 health and 20 energy regen amulet at lower levels, and at higher levels, aim for event amulets, for example the spectral amulet of midnight which adds 100 magic damage to your attacks. Always try to get the amulets which give you EITHER lots of dexterity OR both strength AND dexterity.

BRACELETS: Any you can get your hands on. At levels 100+ try to get the regen bracelets from the carrowmore luxury trader, since this will allow you to put less points in focus and more in dexterity and/or strength. At 150+, you can try to buy regen bracelets from the 150 luxury shop, for the same reason, OR , if you are rich enough, buy event bracelets with unique effects.

RINGS: Try to buy, or find skill rings, I like having two +5 longshot rings for massive damage, and a light heal ring, and a bolas ring. If you get bolas rings you will be free to add more points into different skills, thus increasing your damage.

CHARMS: I use a shrink charm! I know, it is useless for damage, BUT I LOVE IT. But for this build, I recommend charms that add to stats. They are very effective.

FIGHTING:
Now finally, how to conduct an effective fight on mobs to kill them as fast as you can. This is the way I do it and I do A LOT of damage:
Leveling:
1. Steady Aim
2. LONGSHOT , lots of damage and the enemy is pinned in place.
3. While the enemy is pinned in place, BOLAS. They will not have time to run to you quickly.
4. SHARP SHOT, some high damage.
5. RAPID SHOT, high burst of damage.
6. If the mob isn't dead yet, run around to make it further away through BOLAS
7. If you need to, re cast BOLAS.
8. LIGHT HEAL whenever you are low health.
9. REPEAT

Bosses:
This is more simple. Just stay far away and cast all your skills to damage the boss as much as you can. IF NEEDED, bolas the boss to allow someone to kite it.

Thank you for reading.
Not trying to be rude, appreciate the effort and all, but your only 138, you haven't seen the full spectrum of the game yet. Gain some wise miles before attempting, but nice try! Love it!
Sulis

BlueExorsist

For a level 138 he's on the right track. A full dex build is very beneficial, much more than str nowadays. However, I would advice against using rapid unless U can't find any scs or heroic hastes for leveling. To maximize damage I would consider using sharpshot, longshot, double shot, while still keeping bolas and heal for a sort of defense mechanism.

You're not doing bad for a 138, and ur on the right track, just keep leveling up and changing up the build as u see fit. No certain build will work for all rangers.
All chicken we're created equal
U disrespect chicken I disrespect u

Lightchamp
- chieftain of lazy drunks
- 223 Dg ranger

._.

Light heal shouldnt be a must use and same with bolas. They are both nice skills but not really required. Its easy to lix and kill bosses without it. Ive actually tried barbed shot out too and its not a bad skill. No rangers actually max it but its like a rogues rend. Also mostly dext is not the best or viably source of dps to me. You need str to do dmg and dropping so much str for dext can be a nuisance. Even them out varying on your gear. Once you have all your skills on cooldown or if you run out of energy, whatll you do then? You have to auto, so boost it a little more than that. It also depends for lixing what you use. Dont stick to one set up, because to me that kinda sucks when you change it up such as lixing with a group or solo lixing. It all also depends on your gear and what lvl you are as to what skills to use. Everything changes once you hit endgame(190ish-220 ). Mid-game(100-150) is consistent till you start to get dl.
Whats better then Celtic? Something called life I heard....
Epona
225 Ranger
217 Rogue
220 Druid
216 Mage
216 Warrior
Real life is more important

Good guide, but I would change one thing. The best ratio I have found leveling up is 2 dex 1 str 2 vit. Keep enough focus to use your skills and when mob is killed let the sigils regenerate you. I'm a 187 ranger. About 150ish I switch all my stat points to str still keeping the dex gear, so now i'm about 2 str 1 dex ish. i found to my surprise that the drop in skill damage is minimal when switching the ratio to str 2 dex 1. but the Auto now doubled. Auto is your friend too. and should be used wisely. My pattern is:

Longshot, bola, sharpshot, auto until sharp again, after second sharp decide on rapid or rebola longshot. Depends on the HP of the mob. Having mount and pet damage added to this helps a great deal and I can usually kill the mob with one round of skills (2 rounds for 3 stars and 4 rounds for 4 stars). Most mobs are one-third alive by the time they reach me (or worse) and will die in a few shots.

Note: Going full str or full dex is a bad idea. full strength you have plenty of auto damage ability but lack the attack to land the hit. So most shots will miss. And since the skills require dex, you will be handicapped severely for that. Str also boosts defense so the hits you receive will be less but you will receive more of them than if you had dex. On the other hand, going full skill setup (dex) means that your skills will be strong and you will evade allot but your mob will still take longer to kill and your energy will run out (especially with mobs like the ghosts that drain energy). And any hit you take will hit harder because of the low defense.

After I read up on Rogue setup I found the ratio of 2:1 works best. If you like up close action go 2 str 1 dex, if you like long range action go 2 dex 1 str. But don't discount the need for str in your skill setup.
"Do or do not, there is no try"....

Level 191 Ranger
Level 90 Mage
Level 138 Rogue
Level 29 Druid bank character

Good guide, but I would change one thing. The best ratio I have found leveling up is 2 dex 1 str 2 vit. Keep enough focus to use your skills and when mob is killed let the sigils regenerate you. I'm a 187 ranger. About 150ish I switch all my stat points to str still keeping the dex gear, so now i'm about 2 str 1 dex ish. i found to my surprise that the drop in skill damage is minimal when switching the ratio to str 2 dex 1. but the Auto now doubled. Auto is your friend too. and should be used wisely. My pattern is:

Longshot, bola, sharpshot, auto until sharp again, after second sharp decide on rapid or rebola longshot. Depends on the HP of the mob. Having mount and pet damage added to this helps a great deal and I can usually kill the mob with one round of skills (2 rounds for 3 stars and 4 rounds for 4 stars). Most mobs are one-third alive by the time they reach me (or worse) and will die in a few shots.

Note: Going full str or full dex is a bad idea. full strength you have plenty of auto damage ability but lack the attack to land the hit. So most shots will miss. And since the skills require dex, you will be handicapped severely for that. Str also boosts defense so the hits you receive will be less but you will receive more of them than if you had dex. On the other hand, going full skill setup (dex) means that your skills will be strong and you will evade allot but your mob will still take longer to kill and your energy will run out (especially with mobs like the ghosts that drain energy). And any hit you take will hit harder because of the low defense.

After I read up on Rogue setup I found the ratio of 2:1 works best. If you like up close action go 2 str 1 dex, if you like long range action go 2 dex 1 str. But don't discount the need for str in your skill setup.
Yes

You misunderstand some of the buffs that strength and dexterity give. Strength only boosts a rangers auto damage. It has 0 affect on any skills and does not boost defence. Dexterity however, boosts skills as well as attack and defence. Each point of defence you have adds 1 attack and 2 defence (example: 100 dex = 100 attack and 200 defence).

On a side note, defence does not lower the damage that you take. Only armour and resistances to fire/ice/magic/poison/chaos reduce the amount of damage taken. What defence actually does is boosts your chance of dodging a mobs auto attacks.
Arawn
Ventius - level 227 ranger of dawn
Epona
Ventius - level 222 noob ranger of Enigma
Belenus
Ventius - level 163 druid

RIP badabing

Your newest blue name who has dreams to one day be purple

Very nice thanks for the tips, will test out
Danu
E3: Rogue (223)
Annihilate: Rogue (200)

Shadow9: Warrior (222)
36O: Ranger (220)
On Ice: Ice Mage (220)
On Fire: Ice Fire (220)

Instagram: @celtic_tavern (I do daily uploads, feel free to come say hi)