Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Mages should be able to train at same speed as other cla

not to bash you but no class can level past 110 without pots efficiently, resto pots wwork best for all classes as they heal 1000 vit/mana
Rangers, warriors, and some Druids can.
I will occasionly browse the forums, but for the most part im done.

If you wish to contact me, please feel free to message, as my E-mail is hooked up with the messages :D

Thank you everyone, for making this a special game.

As a Mage.

I've never had to use elix or regen potion till lvl 115.

And that's because i'm impatient. With no elix or regen you can easily get 2500 xp per kill. With Elix it jumps up to a whopping 10,000.
I can do it slowly but as mentioned just don't want to spend the time to do it slowly.

And to people who think Mages have all these cool skills. Most of them suck. Not to mention with a limited number of skill points one needs to put into attack spells, with more points wasted in lures so those attack spells don't give you 200 damage.

Who ever said he has seen mages quit for these reasons:
O boo hoo they only quit becuz 1 not a good build cuz they don't know how to use a Mage or 2 they were not skilled at the game. My best friend is a mage and she loves it. She doesn't even use any sigils or anything. Lvl 79 on epona.

Ok well a lot of us have lvl 120+ mages so we have tried many builds. Don't assume we dont know what we are talking about.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a class where skills cost more than other classes for same damage?
Why play a class with no auto attack?
Why play a class with 1/3 the armor?
Why play a caster?

Copy this sig! :)

Wiki: http://www.wisdomunderground.com/wiki

There is are multiple threads about how each class is broken and neglected. It is useful, for me at least, read those and consider what is true across all those threads and why. I assume people are talking about something real and do know what they are talking about.

My Mage has some sigils and is not 30/30 or anything yet. Sigils make no difference at all in combat and only effect the downtime between fights. Running out of energy in a fight is an entirely different matter and completely unaffected by sigils. So there are two different conversations. In combat energy and how to manage that, and leveling your Mage and how to handle that.

The main theme I notice across classes has to do with the OW plateau that occurs. Mages discovered (mancandy, mdimarco, etc.) that we begin to experience diminishing returns for stat investment at about 180 and a more noticeable plateau at 350. This means that builds heavily investing in a single skill prior to OW experience a much larger positive effect. Essentially up to Eyes in OW we are still pretty powerful compared to mobs, in PvE. After that it seems as if the mobs continue to scale the same way, but the player builds, particularly those focusing on a single stat, do not. I do not think this means the classes are broken. I think it is intentional.

The result is that it is quite easy to solo this game up until eyes. After that point a completely different play style is required. After that point the effectiveness of builds is greater from builds that invest in multiple stats, because you can really hit 350 in some single stat and still have some vit around 100-ish. Grouping beckmes more or less required, or at least certainly much more effective, when you think across classes in a collaborative way. This is a main difference. Is my class competing with other classes or collaborating with other classes? Your answer to that question has a great effect on how you feel about your class.

For example, instead of thinking of my toon as a stand alone, i must begin to think in terms of a team dynamic. This allows for continued soecialization, even with the plateua, or for generalized builds meant to work in a team. My own feeling is that many people fail to recognize what is happening and adjust accordingly. I see no reason why people would assume that we should be able to play through the entire game, including leveling, using the same builds and styles that work up until OW. Players get 'trained' into a solo play style. Consider if the game required grouping from the very beginning, as has been the case in many mmo's, then players would have a very different set of expectations and so a very different set of complaints.

Personally I like that this happens, but I am apparently in the minority on this. I enjoy games that require me to think about more complex dynamics beyond straight dps, etc. in order to get good at the game. No big deal. People have been talking about getting 'locked into' or being forced to play some build or another. In my experience this one of the most flexible build systems I have ever seen. There are many things you can do with all the classes, mages most of all, IMO. It is my feeling that OTM has dropped in some 'fixes' that are not meant to address or change underlying dynamics leading to all these complaint threads. An example is the embermane horses in the Lava.

Anyway, just one voice as I said.

Thanks caliban,

I read your whole post and agree with your findings.
I would love that progression to grouping at higher levels too.

However certain problems manifest themselves at high levels.

1. not many high levels (120+) are on at once in a server (at least beleneus)
2.of those that are on, not everyone wants to level.
3. Of the ones that want to level, not all want to group.
4. Of the ones that group, most want the group to be as small as possible, so they want just a druid.
So you have to be pretty darn lucky to find a group as a mage.

How to fix this:

1. improve grouping xp bonus the more players you get
2. Make mages able to solo as well as rogues, warriors, or rangers at high levels with a build made for soloing.
3. Support more players per server.

That said I am taking a step out on a limb and making my mage lvl 121 pure support. I am taking a risk since I won't even be able to kill a tree, that I will make demand for myself based on selling my amazing lure ability. We will see how it goes.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a class where skills cost more than other classes for same damage?
Why play a class with no auto attack?
Why play a class with 1/3 the armor?
Why play a caster?

Copy this sig! :)

Wiki: http://www.wisdomunderground.com/wiki

Yes, it is difficult because of the solo culture. The clan I am part of has regular leveling teams. This helps greatly.

That said, leveling a tank spec is pretty slow going and is best done in a group. Leveling a heal Druid can only be done in a group. I would guess it could take a while for people to understand the benefits and for you to establish even a mini culture of group leveling.

I like your suggestions.