Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: In defense of rolling

I agree it's less effective for those and other reasons vulture, however the math shows beyond any doubt the dps is highest with all gear evenly spread out.
there are far too many variables to make such a generalized statement, especially in MMOs where you can't guarantee the same players on every raid.

But I'd rather have 100 items on 20 people instead of putting it on 100 people. Its like building an elite task force, having a powerful smaller team is better than hundreds of mediocre or subpar personnel. Also why championship teams, like in basketball, usually have 2-3 superstars, and they win more frequently than a team of scrubs.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

I agree it's less effective for those and other reasons vulture, however the math shows beyond any doubt the dps is highest with all gear evenly spread out.
out of curiosity would you mind posting the math here?
I fear I'd bore people with the math so I'll give the tl;dr. All skills from focus str or dex and auto damage from str scale as the square root. Direct add like elemental and direct add to skills don't. Set bonuses complicate this a bit, but there are too few to tip the balance and matter overall.

Most people are too lazy to hotbar so if gear is spread out its much more likely to be equipped than sit idol for no dps.

The optimal solution is to use all the gear but minimize str, focus and dex gear among the respective toons who use it. Complete sets without disturbing this as much as possible. Elemental and direct add can go on anyone.

That's only the math of it, it's true giving out DG gloves is more dps than DG sets even. There is already a thread on this. However the problem is not simple math as many have said.

When you have highly active people who always show and casuals who show maybe 20% at best it's not going to be optimal to spread gear evenly.

When you are locking bosses diffusing your gear is not going to get you a lock. Basketball teams need to win locks, if you wanted the most baskets you would put all spectators into games and get thousands more than a few pros could do. But you obviously won't win against a pro team.

When you distribute gear and have an inequality in work done to reward given its going to cause motivation issues and dissent.

When it's on people who can't work together and can't implement strategy it's not going to be as effective as if it's on competent people.

If you have the best gear on loyal clanmates who log for nearly every raid it can get you can kill bosses without help from more people netting you more drops.

Etc etc etc. However it's pretty clear that in the most general sense diffusing your gear provides the most dps.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

But I'd rather have 100 items on 20 people instead of putting it on 100 people. Its like building an elite task force, having a powerful smaller team is better than hundreds of mediocre or subpar personnel. Also why championship teams, like in basketball, usually have 2-3 superstars, and they win more frequently than a team of scrubs.

The vietcong and the zulus to name just a couple would disagree there.

Rolling for drops is basically a lottery.
If I buy a lottery ticket every week for 1000 weeks and another guy buys one every 3-4 weeks and he wins millions is he any less deserving?
If you turn up to a raid where rolling is how loot is distributed that is your lottery ticket. Every fight is a fresh ticket with all players on an even footing every time.
Characters (In order of creation)

Nigel-rogue
Gettafix-druid
MaidMarrion-ranger
BrianBlessed-warrior
NoelEdmonds-mage

Perhaps if you had the same 40 people show up for every boss and evenly distribute everything sure. That's obviously not the case when it comes to servers with 80+ people coming on whenever they feel like it, and 20 others actively camping and killing and then gambling for drops. Seems you've already said this just a couple posts above though.

Lugh
[list][*]Vulture - Level 220 Rogue
[*]Venus - Level 195 Druid[/list][/color]

Reading through this thread and noticed loot council was criticized. Criminal mentioned me in his post as an example of how a server can do loot council and it works great. And he's right, fingal uses a loot council system and the players for the most part are happy. Occasionally a player does get upset because they felt more entitled to a drop than another player, but for the most part it goes smoothly.

We tried rolls at the very beginning and it ended up with a lot of mad players. So the loot council was the system the players agreed they wanted to use.

That being said, typically aggy stuff is rolled on and a lot of hrung stuff is rolled on. The exception to this is skulls and heal helms. These go to loot council
Zyz 220 Druid
Noah Fences 220 Rogue

I'm not bashing Epona, I'm just curious as I'm a competitive player and haven't played on other servers.
For those competitive players in Epona, what is your motivation or how do you challenge yourself in playing a fighting game without competition? Why will you use combo lix or rainbow lix when you see others just doing less effort than you.
Why will you strive to be better? What are clans for if you can join all raids?
World: Epona
Clan: Enigma
Gabee/war
Fpj/druid

World:ARAWN
Gabee/Rogue
BeastKing/Ranger
FPJ/Druid