Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Server status update 3.6

Heroes!

The last update we gave you was a week ago. We know that since then you have not seen any significant improvements. The Team is working hard on a solution for this terrible situation. We will keep the current EXP Boost active for now.

In order to give you a better understanding of the situation and where we stand, our technical director has prepared a message for all of you.

Hello! I am the technical director on Celtic Heroes and I want to offer a little bit of insight into the server issues we have had due to the ongoing attacks. Firstly I want to assure you that we are doing what we can to resolve the issues. The situation is not acceptable and it pains us to see the game being in this state. It continues to be our main priority, but unfortunately, there are no easy fixes.

Server attacks can take many forms and in our case, the attacks have continued to both evolve and grow in size as we have been making improvements and plugging existing holes. Celtic Heroes is an old game and the server-side was not built with any attack mitigation in mind, which creates difficulties on our side. Standard DDOS protection does not protect us from the type of UDP floods that are targeting the vulnerabilities in the game code.

We have put in place several layers of protection and some of them have prevented a certain type of attack, but nothing so far has given us the mitigation we need. We are in discussions with several solution providers to see if they can offer us the type of protection we require. We are also exploring in-house solutions to put in custom-made firewalls as well as investigating how to refactor the game code to prevent the root cause. However, this kind of refactoring is not quick, so we continue to make progress on all possible solutions at the same time.

We understand the frustration this is causing and the impact is no less on myself and our team either. While at this point it might not mean much, we do offer our sincerest apologies for this and thank you for your continued patience.

Hopefully, this gives you a better understanding of the current situation. We all want to once again thank you for your patience with us so far. We also highly recommend you to have an eye on our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, and the forum) in the next few days for updates and small giveaways.