Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Beginner. Please help. How to play Ranger?

Heya there!

The Ranger is one of the most versatile classes - they can be played in a lot of different ways, depending on what you want, and have. Someone with lots of gold will probably play with a different build than someone with very little gold - there isn't really a single right build for all occasions.

Stats
You can choose whether you want to focus on Str or Dex - neither is way better than the other, but they have different benefits depending on what skills you will use. Ranger skills like Longshot, Sharp Shot, Steady Aim, Sharpen Weapons (pretty much all ranger skills) base their damage off of Dex, so if you want to rely on more damage from those skills, put points in Dex.
On the other hand, if you want more damage from your auto attacks, then put more points in Strength - that will also have the benefit of increasing your damage from Longshot and Double Shot as well (because their damage is based off of your auto attack damage).

Generally, a Dexterity build is built more for survivability (most dex rangers use Light Heal, which gets a nice boost from dex), and skill damage, plus the defense bonus can be helpful.
Strength builds are more for people who want to squeeze out every little bit of auto attack damage that they can - they usually have direct stat boosting gear rather than skill rings.
Most rangers tend to do a mix of both, with just a slight lean in one direction or the other. My ranger currently has more strength than dex, though most of my gear is a little more dex and survivability based.

Since you are soloing, and I'm assuming you may not have much gold starting out, I'd suggest a healthy mix of both dex and str. Dex is good since it will boost any skills you use, but you will still want enough auto damage to hurt the mob.
It also depends on what gear you can get your hands on as well - a skill build won't be much use if you don't have any energy regen.

Skills
I kind of covered this a little, but your skills will partially depend on what build you have.
If you have a mostly strength build, most of your skills won't be as strong as they could be. You can still use them, especially things like Steady Aim that will boost your auto attack damage - it just won't be as good as if you had more strength.

The only skills I would highly recommend you use are double shot (especially if you have a strength build), steady aim (even with only a few points in, it boosts your damage and attack), and possibly light heal - depending on whether you have a lot of resto potions or not.

Other than that...I personally really like Longshot as an opening attack - it's pretty high damage, and the pin gives you a few extra seconds before the mob starts hitting you, plus it works fairly well with either a Str or Dex build. Sharp Shot is also fairly good if you have a lot of dexterity. Bolas is pretty good for surviving vs 2-4 star melee mobs, but can be a pretty big energy drain, and is useless against any mobs with ranged attacks - so I wouldn't really recommend it for leveling.

Hope some of this helps ya out! The key thing to remember with a ranger is that there really isn't a magic build that works for everyone. The exact skill and stat choices mostly depends on what gear you have (armor, weapons, jewelry) as well as how much gold you have, where you are leveling, and whether you have access to premium consumables or large amounts of food.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Heya there!

The Ranger is one of the most versatile classes - they can be played in a lot of different ways, depending on what you want, and have. Someone with lots of gold will probably play with a different build than someone with very little gold - there isn't really a single right build for all occasions.

Stats
You can choose whether you want to focus on Str or Dex - neither is way better than the other, but they have different benefits depending on what skills you will use. Ranger skills like Longshot, Sharp Shot, Steady Aim, Sharpen Weapons (pretty much all ranger skills) base their damage off of Dex, so if you want to rely on more damage from those skills, put points in Dex.
On the other hand, if you want more damage from your auto attacks, then put more points in Strength - that will also have the benefit of increasing your damage from Longshot and Double Shot as well (because their damage is based off of your auto attack damage).

Generally, a Dexterity build is built more for survivability (most dex rangers use Light Heal, which gets a nice boost from dex), and skill damage, plus the defense bonus can be helpful.
Strength builds are more for people who want to squeeze out every little bit of auto attack damage that they can - they usually have direct stat boosting gear rather than skill rings.
Most rangers tend to do a mix of both, with just a slight lean in one direction or the other. My ranger currently has more strength than dex, though most of my gear is a little more dex and survivability based.

Since you are soloing, and I'm assuming you may not have much gold starting out, I'd suggest a healthy mix of both dex and str. Dex is good since it will boost any skills you use, but you will still want enough auto damage to hurt the mob.
It also depends on what gear you can get your hands on as well - a skill build won't be much use if you don't have any energy regen.

Skills
I kind of covered this a little, but your skills will partially depend on what build you have.
If you have a mostly strength build, most of your skills won't be as strong as they could be. You can still use them, especially things like Steady Aim that will boost your auto attack damage - it just won't be as good as if you had more strength.

The only skills I would highly recommend you use are double shot (especially if you have a strength build), steady aim (even with only a few points in, it boosts your damage and attack), and possibly light heal - depending on whether you have a lot of resto potions or not.

Other than that...I personally really like Longshot as an opening attack - it's pretty high damage, and the pin gives you a few extra seconds before the mob starts hitting you, plus it works fairly well with either a Str or Dex build. Sharp Shot is also fairly good if you have a lot of dexterity. Bolas is pretty good for surviving vs 2-4 star melee mobs, but can be a pretty big energy drain, and is useless against any mobs with ranged attacks - so I wouldn't really recommend it for leveling.

Hope some of this helps ya out! The key thing to remember with a ranger is that there really isn't a magic build that works for everyone. The exact skill and stat choices mostly depends on what gear you have (armor, weapons, jewelry) as well as how much gold you have, where you are leveling, and whether you have access to premium consumables or large amounts of food.
what about str. it's past. str only increases the auto attack and the same in this game as I understood lead skills because auto attacks constantly miss and miss. I have 800K gold.I played a warrior before, 88 level - well this class I strongly do not like.

what about str. it's past. str only increases the auto attack and the same in this game as I understood lead skills because auto attacks constantly miss and miss. I have 800K gold.I played a warrior before, 88 level - well this class I strongly do not like.
Yes, Strength does pretty much only increase auto attacks. Autos do tend to miss often (especially with low Attack), though skills don't always land either.

The Attack stat will increase your chances of landing auto attacks, and each point of Dexterity adds 2 to your Attack. The game is designed fairly well (especially pre-endgame) for a mostly balanced build...which is why I recommend a mix of Str and Dex. You don't want to go as a pure Strength build as any class, unless you have a lot of gear that increases your Attack - otherwise yes you will miss a lot of hits. You could of course go with a slight strength build - for example, a 3str to 2dex ratio (like 300 strength and 200 dex). Alternatively, you could go with a heavier strength build...maybe 400 strength and 100 dex. It's completely up to you, and what you want to focus on - plus what gear you have. The more strength you have, the more auto damage you do - but you need a decent amount of Attack as well, otherwise you will miss quite a few hits.

If you have 800k, that opens you up to quite a few possibilities - you will be able to get a good quiver, as well as possibly an energy regen amulet. Energy regen is pretty important, especially if you use a bunch of damage skills.

Rogues and Rangers actually tend to have very similar gear stats, the only difference is in skills and how you pick your points. Rangers do tend to have some more survival skills than Rogues do - Entangle and Bolas can be really helpful when soloing big mobs or bosses, Light Heal is a life saver - a fast semi-strong heal that rarely gets interrupted, just for some examples. On the other hand, Rogues tend to do more and faster damage (especially pre-endgame).
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!