Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Ethics Behind Locking Threads

I know we aren't allowed to talk about threads that have been locked, I'm not doing that. I am following the rules and asking why threads in general get locked.

Personally, I have never supported the locking of threads. Yes, threads can be derailed, and one might assume locking it is a good idea, but there is more to it then that. Someone can say something that is completely wrong, hypocritical, or just propaganda, and be completely invulnerable to any counterargument due to the current system. The problem is further amplified by not knowing when it will occur. On my discord, I let debates go until they die out(unless it turns into mindless insults). This lets the people say what they want to say, keeps the public informed on their stances, and if the topic derails it may produce another worthwhile one(because locking threads just kills them). I always wondered why we didn't have a similar system here. It could be something as simple as moving "locked" topics to the rants section but still allowing people to post. I believe the only things that should be actually locked are necroposts and spam(advertisement bots, etc).

Thoughts?
World - Lugh
Furyion - 190 Ice Mage
Lavalord - 60 PvP Warrior
Keepin' it old school.
Do you like Celtic Heroes? Join the Official Unofficial Discord today!
https://discord.gg/ecQbSXV

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

+1. The amount of good threads being locked is ridiculous. Even if it’s been derailed, there’s still good info and F&S. When a thread is locked obviously no one can reply, meaning it doesn’t get bumped and it gets lost in the sea of forgotten threads when people still have thoughts to share, forcing people to make a new thread which then gets locked because it’s discussing a locked topic... The moderation has no doubt gotten way out of hand with not only the locking of threads but the trigger happy bans. It’s never been this bad before. Stop being so trigger happy.

The rants section never gets looked at I’m sure so I prefer for good threads not to be moved there... instead clean up the derailed posts, don’t take the lazy route and simply lock the thread. If people continue to derail or toss around insults and what not after posts have been cleaned up and a thread warning has been given, give an account warning (don’t go straight to banning... whatever happened to 3 strikes and you’re out?). Let threads die on their own
Zkills level 111 warrior, Proud general/last active member of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus.

Zkills, new mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

+1

Certain mods should be reschooled on moderation
-Accounts-
(World - Username - Class - Level - Clan)
Sulis - Appfan3 - Rogue - 155+ - Evolution
Donn - Infectious - Ranger - 60+ - n/a (R)
Lugh - Secret account

Shivahh wrote:Not gonna happen, bloodthorn and certain stubborn players sums it up

Appfan3 wrote:+1

Certain mods should be reschooled on moderation

This is gonna get this thread locked....

Cant mention anything about how the mods mod the forums. Even if they're grossly wrong.
Michael Artisan - Warrior, Blake Artisan - Rogue, Ren Artisan - Ranger, Gabriel Artisan - Mage, Yaray (until VR let's me add Artisan to the name) - Druid

Guardian Deity of Danu

Buying White Lanrik Pants on Danu!!!!

Furyion wrote:I know we aren't allowed to talk about threads that have been locked, I'm not doing that. I am following the rules and asking why threads in general get locked.

Personally, I have never supported the locking of threads. Yes, threads can be derailed, and one might assume locking it is a good idea, but there is more to it then that. Someone can say something that is completely wrong, hypocritical, or just propaganda, and be completely invulnerable to any counterargument due to the current system. The problem is further amplified by not knowing when it will occur. On my discord, I let debates go until they die out(unless it turns into mindless insults). This lets the people say what they want to say, keeps the public informed on their stances, and if the topic derails it may produce another worthwhile one(because locking threads just kills them). I always wondered why we didn't have a similar system here. It could be something as simple as moving "locked" topics to the rants section but still allowing people to post. I believe the only things that should be actually locked are necroposts and spam(advertisement bots, etc).

Thoughts?

The problem is, when someone says something that is completely wrong, hypocritical, or just propaganda...it's the replies to those types of posts that tend to cause a thread to fall into the pit of insults and arguments that usually ends in locked posts. Those mindless insults seem to be unfortunately common (as are generally derogatory comments about other players, clans, and servers).

I agree that sometimes threads can derail into another good discussion, but I don't see those threads being locked as much. Sometimes they are, but usually because that initial derailment gets derailed again, and by then the thread is such a mish-mash of different subjects that it should be cut off before it gets even more confusing.

Zkills wrote:+1. The amount of good threads being locked is ridiculous. Even if it’s been derailed, there’s still good info and F&S. When a thread is locked obviously no one can reply, meaning it doesn’t get bumped and it gets lost in the sea of forgotten threads when people still have thoughts to share, forcing people to make a new thread which then gets locked because it’s discussing a locked topic... The moderation has no doubt gotten way out of hand with not only the locking of threads but the trigger happy bans. It’s never been this bad before. Stop being so trigger happy.

The rants section never gets looked at I’m sure so I prefer for good threads not to be moved there... instead clean up the derailed posts, don’t take the lazy route and simply lock the thread. If people continue to derail or toss around insults and what not after posts have been cleaned up and a thread warning has been given, give an account warning (don’t go straight to banning... whatever happened to 3 strikes and you’re out?). Let threads die on their own

Cleaning up derailed threads is (in my opinion) worse than locking it. That would only lead to confusion with players referencing posts that no longer exist, and the thread would only derail more as players complain about their earlier posts being removed, especially if the reply was a mix of on and off topic comments. That means that mods would have to either delete any post that goes off topic (even if it's a mix), or else edit posts to remove off topic bits- which would lead to more complaints about mods picking and choosing what stays on a thread. I can pretty much guarantee that having mods remove/edit posts will only make things more confusing and make players more frustrated.

Locking threads is unfortunate, though I'd say a large portion of the blame lies with the players themselves, not so much the moderators (in most cases, not all). There's only so much off-topic and bashing (server, clan or personal) that can go on before the thread just completely loses its purpose. When that happens, a thread rarely gets back on topic...players always feel the need to go back a page or two and start things back up again.

In my opinion, the worst part of this whole subject is that it usually ends up only being a couple players who feel like their pride obligates them to continue the arguments/insults and ruin the thread for all the other players.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Sulis
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!
Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator!

If discussions are so valuable and locking out of control threads is destructive, then isn’t this a two way street? Instead of getting annoyed that the mods are locking the threads filled with insults, why not instead direct this towards your fellow forum dwellers who create the chaos to begin with.

If there truly is value in a thread that happens to be locked, I personally have no issues with another topic being created assuming the discussion continues.

Saying “just delete the offending posts, don’t lock” is much easier said than done. Most of the time the insults and rebuttals are intertwined within posts that also have valuable opinions in them. Going through and deleting the correct parts, as well as all the quotes, etc is a head ache.

If a thread is locked, you can always PM the moderator responsible and I’m sure if presented with a reasonable user case, the thread may be reopened.

I won’t be locking this thread for now (won’t be speaking on behalf of the other mods/admins) as I understand this has been a point of contention for a while, and perhaps we could get something out of it.

A mage at heart... Fire mage that is.
Currently actively playing the game.

Armo wrote:Going through and deleting the correct parts, as well as all the quotes, etc is a head ache

Welcome to the job of a forum moderator... you guys have it easy when compared to other games’ forum mods. I remember seeing a video of what WoW forum mods had to go through and wow... just wow...

People just want the mods to do better at their jobs. Look at Voldemort’s mod work as a guide on how to moderate the forum correctly. If you guys find it to be a pain then drop the position, I don’t think anyone would feel like they’re at a loss lol.
Zkills level 111 warrior, Proud general/last active member of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus.

Zkills, new mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge