Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Content Creators in Small games

#1
I was probably one of the biggest content creators for Celtic Heroes at one point, I think I had around 40-50k total views, sadly for smaller indie games like CH there really isn't much room to grow as a content creator and get big on youtube.

It is sad because it both prevents the game from getting bigger while ensuring it won't get bigger.
It doesn't attract bigger influences because there are no views in it, and it won't create big influencers to promote the game. An example would be Fortnite which got so big that a bunch of content creators have a symbiotic relationship with the game, they both feed off it (making a bunch of new and big creators think : Ninja, tfue, Daequan, myth etc) and keep it relevant by attracting already big content creators.

There isn't really a point to this post it is just a sad thought that crossed my mind, my two biggest videos in the game were a guide to starting the game (10k views) and a guide to making money in the game (13k views) and I think that is probably around the cap for views in this game.

Lets say CH had a lot of money and could pay a couple big variety streamers like Summit1g and shroud or Ninja (more of an mmo guy) to play, that might bump the numbers up because they set trends which brings other streamers and content creators over and their viewers.

It is interesting how influencers can affect games.
Chaotic of Nuada
Clan: Chaos

Frid(suffix)

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#2
This game would be destroyed if more people play it simply because the loot distribution is not in relation to the amount of people playing the game.
Maybe some servers have already stacked warden/met/frozen items to compensate a big increase in new players but as soon as they hit dl level most of them would quit due to the lack of loot.
Name Lvl Clan
1insane1 221 TheIlluminati General
1Maniac1 220
Brainless 190
Strudel 220
FireMcFire 217
Unelanunhi 227
Pocahontas 200

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#3
I agree with Insane that the game can’t really handle a large amount of players. Also, the game moves really slowly...VR wouldn’t be able to pay people to play it, simply because it would take weeks for a player to get anywhere interesting. The bigger streamers you mentioned would charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a new game, especially one as boring as a mobile MMORPG. Not that CH is always boring, it’s just that it is more of a slow paced game, and their fanbase is people interested in esports and FPS games and the like. I also think the fact that no one else has really tried streaming CH shows that it wouldn’t work very well.

There’s also two different topics here, streaming and making videos. While streaming may not work very well, like you said - other content creation is possible, 10k views isn’t bad. The problem is that there aren’t too many things you can record for the game that will attract a lot of interest. Guides to the game are awesome, but you can’t do many of them - eventually you run out of unique content, and then it’s just a cycle of uploading boss fights or random events.


I just don’t think that CH is equipped to handle a lot of interest, and because it’s a smaller mmo - there really isn’t enough content to be able to grow as a content creator while only using CH.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
A few others
SoldiersofJah - Sulis

Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Schwing wrote:You’re hired.

Celtic Heroes Item Database #WorldSkillsUSA

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#4
Eragon123 wrote:I agree with Insane that the game can’t really handle a large amount of players. Also, the game moves really slowly...VR wouldn’t be able to pay people to play it, simply because it would take weeks for a player to get anywhere interesting. The bigger streamers you mentioned would charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a new game, especially one as boring as a mobile MMORPG. Not that CH is always boring, it’s just that it is more of a slow paced game, and their fanbase is people interested in esports and FPS games and the like. I also think the fact that no one else has really tried streaming CH shows that it wouldn’t work very well.

Most people tune in for the streamer rather than the game. Doesn't matter what they play. Some streamers do nothing but chat with a facecam and still get thousands of viewers.
Yes, I am not suggesting VR actually buy those streamers lol. Just saying without them the game will never really be viable for content creators.

Eragon123 wrote:There’s also two different topics here, streaming and making videos. While streaming may not work very well, like you said - other content creation is possible, 10k views isn’t bad. The problem is that there aren’t too many things you can record for the game that will attract a lot of interest. Guides to the game are awesome, but you can’t do many of them - eventually you run out of unique content, and then it’s just a cycle of uploading boss fights or random events.

For a small channel it isn't bad as a start at all but there isn't any room for growth beyond that and that is the problem.


Eragon123 wrote:I just don’t think that CH is equipped to handle a lot of interest, and because it’s a smaller mmo - there really isn’t enough content to be able to grow as a content creator while only using CH.
The more interest they get, the more money they make and the more interest they can handle, because they can upgrade servers.
Chaotic of Nuada
Clan: Chaos

Frid(suffix)

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#5
Chaotic wrote:
Eragon123 wrote:I agree with Insane that the game can’t really handle a large amount of players. Also, the game moves really slowly...VR wouldn’t be able to pay people to play it, simply because it would take weeks for a player to get anywhere interesting. The bigger streamers you mentioned would charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a new game, especially one as boring as a mobile MMORPG. Not that CH is always boring, it’s just that it is more of a slow paced game, and their fanbase is people interested in esports and FPS games and the like. I also think the fact that no one else has really tried streaming CH shows that it wouldn’t work very well.

Most people tune in for the streamer rather than the game. Doesn't matter what they play. Some streamers do nothing but chat with a facecam and still get thousands of viewers.
Yes, I am not suggesting VR actually buy those streamers lol. Just saying without them the game will never really be viable for content creators.

I do realize that most people tune in for the streamer...I watch most streams/YT videos for that reason alone, I could care less about the game most of the time! I was talking more about the streamers you mentioned - who built their fanbase around fast paced action games.


Chaotic wrote:
Eragon123 wrote:There’s also two different topics here, streaming and making videos. While streaming may not work very well, like you said - other content creation is possible, 10k views isn’t bad. The problem is that there aren’t too many things you can record for the game that will attract a lot of interest. Guides to the game are awesome, but you can’t do many of them - eventually you run out of unique content, and then it’s just a cycle of uploading boss fights or random events.

For a small channel it isn't bad as a start at all but there isn't any room for growth beyond that and that is the problem.

No complaints here. That's why I've been pushing for more horizontal content...vertical content isn't really interesting. That's why I'm really hoping there's something interesting in the new update - a new EG boss is pretty boring, once the hype for the raid goes down in a couple months, it'll probably just be another chore - something else that has to be killed regularly in search of the super rare "good loot".


Chaotic wrote:
Eragon123 wrote:I just don’t think that CH is equipped to handle a lot of interest, and because it’s a smaller mmo - there really isn’t enough content to be able to grow as a content creator while only using CH.
The more interest they get, the more money they make and the more interest they can handle, because they can upgrade servers.

I wouldn't say that it's a server issue...more of a content issue. For one, like Insane said, loot drops way too slowly to be able to gear more players. If there was a large wave of new people coming in, there would be dozens of people trying to get geared. Yes, a lot of clans probably have stockpiles of at least the easier pieces, but the lines for frozen/dl/edl chests/weapons would get really long.

In addition to the loot aspect, there could be issues with leveling as well. Most areas in the game can really only handle a handful of players leveling at a time. Imagine if there was 30-40 new players joining a server over a couple days, depending on level of commitment and time zones, there's a fairly good chance that several would be staying at roughly the same level, possibly causing issues with fighting over mobs. Of course, everything depends on how much of an impact content creators/streamers would have on the game.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
A few others
SoldiersofJah - Sulis

Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Schwing wrote:You’re hired.

Celtic Heroes Item Database #WorldSkillsUSA

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#6
We’ve worked with streamers/content creators before in niche areas (both had around 200k subs on YouTube) and found that the benefits were very very short lived, boost in new players for a couple of days which quickly dropped with little retention. Now that may be different for a super big name but I doubt it without sustained coverage.
Image

#pray4songz

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#7
Paying streamers to play sounds like a really bad idea. If they aren't interested in the game, they will just play other games after a while and there goes your hard earned money as said people who joined the game to try it out leave to try another one. It would be best to focus on the people who are already creating content for the game, as it is known they actually care about it. So if you want to make a difference, help them grow.

Heres a list of some CH youtubers I know about:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2lHH ... gi5wykRWCA (me, can also use youtube.com/furyion)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMimYK ... 3N32_LSufQ (TC)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT0FP ... fH-XHxrwKw (JcTYT)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc6zY- ... 4RQaCDJs6A (MrScar)
World - Lugh
Furyion - 190 Ice Mage
Stonelord - 100 PvP Warrior
Lavalord - 60 PvP Warrior
Charcoal - 60 PvP Fire Auto-Mage
Keepin' it old school.

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#8
Schwing wrote:boost in new players for a couple of days which quickly dropped with little retention.


Maybe this is where VR should be focusing. Obviously the game is good enough to get people in, so why is there so little retention. Lack of substantial early to mid game content once the tutorial is finished. Maybe adding alternative Armour quests so that not everyone is stuck at the bottleneck of Frozen and DL Armour. New mid game bosses that drop gear that players can actually use for more than 25 levels and that they can actually attain before they’re 30 levels over the equip level.

More actual in game content can solve so much
Michael (Warrior), Blake (Rogue), Ren (Ranger), Gabriel (Mage), _________ (Druid)

Guardian Deity of Danu

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#9
Artisan wrote:
Schwing wrote:boost in new players for a couple of days which quickly dropped with little retention.


Maybe this is where VR should be focusing. Obviously the game is good enough to get people in, so why is there so little retention. Lack of substantial early to mid game content once the tutorial is finished. Maybe adding alternative Armour quests so that not everyone is stuck at the bottleneck of Frozen and DL Armour. New mid game bosses that drop gear that players can actually use for more than 25 levels and that they can actually attain before they’re 30 levels over the equip level.

More actual in game content can solve so much


I'd actually say it's the other way around, lack of mid-endgame content. Early game actually has a pretty good selection of content, but once you get to 110+ in the otherworld, you start to run out of things to do, and the level grind starts. That's why there usually seems to be a pretty good selection of <100 players throughout the game, but not many getting past that to go on to endgame. It also has to do with this being a mobile game, that requires huge amounts of time dedicated to progressing past midgame. I don't really have a problem with it (in theory) but a lot of people just starting the game may want something more casual....once it starts getting more hardcore, they move on to something more interesting then hours of lixing.


I don't think more bosses is the answer though. It's usually pretty hard to assemble a good bossing group at midgame levels. IMO the game should focus more on horizontal content that can be done solo...more like cooking and fishing. More bosses don't really count as horizontal content...all it does is bring in more loot choices for the top players on the server.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
A few others
SoldiersofJah - Sulis

Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Schwing wrote:You’re hired.

Celtic Heroes Item Database #WorldSkillsUSA

Re: Content Creators in Small games

#10
Not everyone wants to grind out levels all day, fishing or cooking are both nice breaks from slaughtering mobs but there needs to be more casual things to do, more crafts, maybe even player housing with house deco, clan halls etc... those things would put this game over the top, it's already a great mobile mmo.
Zindar Drake 155 Rogue -Nuada-

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dunkeelmeh, Froze and 11 guests