Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#41
Hison wrote:
Meck wrote:
Hison wrote:I believe that what VR did was an amazing decision. Sure, it’s unfair for some people but I been a beta tester since early 2012 and been in all major areas that came out. Closed beta is far more different than open. That’s why I hate the idea of open beta because it makes you feel like you just playing the same game. Last beta was horrible as pointed out because everyone was just opening chests instead of testing. Sadly a lot of people join for the experience instead of actual help and improvement to the game. But we all don’t have to agree on this. It was a smart thing to do by VR because a lot of big games keep it closed off from the public until the release because selecting people often lead to leaks.

Every beta test done will have leaks no matter who they choose, if I know someone in a beta test no matter the world I can gain that information quickly as I know the stats and gear which will be dropped from the new "celestial" type boss, also I wouldnt call it an amazing decision, theyre going with people that are active on the forums and are high ranked on the forums along with those they know/have talked to in game and know on line etc and from how you are speaking im sure youre in the closed beta which is why youre calling it an "amazing decision" just an extra biased comment. I can agree that some people join for the experience but there are also people who join to contribute and put in the effort, dont see why they should get screwed over bc of the others that did nothing in the last beta as im sure theres some people in the current beta who arent putting in the work also.


Actually I am not in the current beta. I used to be in all betas whenever OTM was ruling the Lands. But whenever OTM clan was damaged I kinda dropped my weopons and focused on life because of the type of connection I had with them. While I sure been in all the betas Since VR took over I can promise that no I am not in the current closed beta. I just believe that we as players shouldn’t be telling a company how to do their job because we don’t see the long term vision of the game. We only see what they tell us and in this case what someone told you guys whenever they shouldn’t have. Cheers,

I mean thats understandable and I wouldnt say that in my pov id be telling VR how to run their company or their betas but im sure that with you being an old player and being in the betas it would feel a bit trashy not having the opportunity to get into the current beta when in the past otm allowed people to apply and by all means when I say apply to a closed beta they could make those who want to join to write out the reason why they want to join and wjst they will do when theyre in there, if VR see ppl doing nothing and not logging they could cancel their inv to the beta. With me coming back to the game around 3months or so ago I dont really know VR or anyone in their team so I am still wary of them and wonder if they can get the job done but thats just bc im a die hard gamer at heart and have played this game sibce it started and dont want to see it fall, plus I knew a lot of the otm staff and had a good connection with them so sucks to see things change in that perspective but if VR can do a better job then thats what matters.
Ps i wasnt gere for otms last year in charge but i saw that the events dried up, new content dried up etc which was the reason for my break so I know it went downhill.
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Rogue - Creativity Level 210
Warrior - Private Level 215
Ranger - Level 180+
Worlds - Mabon, Epona and rhiannon

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#42
I'm not sure how the current beta and selection process will be any better or worse than prior ones. I just don't think VR is adjusting the right variable with their beta tester selection process.

In the end it's all about the development and management teams and what they do with the product and the beta feedback that relates to it.

The last beta was, IMO, a failure. Not so much because a bunch of testers spent time diddling with chests instead of testing, but because so many obvious and reported bugs made it into production.

Why? Because VR released to a date, not a quality threshold and the product, and players, suffered for a month or more because of that.

If VR decides to hold the update until they are sure that almost all bugs are squashed, server and app performance is acceptable, previously fixed bugs aren't somehow reintroduced, etc. then who cares who tested what?

Right now there are still zones you can't trade in, still numerous spots you can fall through the world, there are any number of glitched items that don't work as intended, the login server is still flaky, there is still lots of lag - especially during big raids, visual glitches abound.

TLDR: Release to quality, not to a deadline and all will be good...

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#43
Meck wrote:I mean thats understandable and I wouldnt say that in my pov id be telling VR how to run their company or their betas but im sure that with you being an old player and being in the betas it would feel a bit trashy not having the opportunity to get into the current beta when in the past otm allowed people to apply and by all means when I say apply to a closed beta they could make those who want to join to write out the reason why they want to join and wjst they will do when theyre in there, if VR see ppl doing nothing and not logging they could cancel their inv to the beta.

I'm saying this as someone who played the game since the month after release. How long you played the game should have no effect on your chance to get into beta, unless there was a specific beta related need for it. It would simply be unfair to do so, because that would be permanent favoritism.
World - Lugh
Furyion - 190 Ice Mage
Lavalord - 60 PvP Warrior
Keepin' it old school.
Do you like Celtic Heroes? Join the Official Unofficial Discord today!
https://discord.gg/ecQbSXV

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#44
Shrike wrote:I'm not sure how the current beta and selection process will be any better or worse than prior ones. I just don't think VR is adjusting the right variable with their beta tester selection process.

In the end it's all about the development and management teams and what they do with the product and the beta feedback that relates to it.

The last beta was, IMO, a failure. Not so much because a bunch of testers spent time diddling with chests instead of testing, but because so many obvious and reported bugs made it into production.

Why? Because VR released to a date, not a quality threshold and the product, and players, suffered for a month or more because of that.

If VR decides to hold the update until they are sure that almost all bugs are squashed, server and app performance is acceptable, previously fixed bugs aren't somehow reintroduced, etc. then who cares who tested what?

Right now there are still zones you can't trade in, still numerous spots you can fall through the world, there are any number of glitched items that don't work as intended, the login server is still flaky, there is still lots of lag - especially during big raids, visual glitches abound.

TLDR: Release to quality, not to a deadline and all will be good...


Well said!

I hope they will listen feedback from those selected noobs :) .

I don't care who tested. I want a good result.

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#45
Furyion wrote:
Meck wrote:I mean thats understandable and I wouldnt say that in my pov id be telling VR how to run their company or their betas but im sure that with you being an old player and being in the betas it would feel a bit trashy not having the opportunity to get into the current beta when in the past otm allowed people to apply and by all means when I say apply to a closed beta they could make those who want to join to write out the reason why they want to join and wjst they will do when theyre in there, if VR see ppl doing nothing and not logging they could cancel their inv to the beta.

I'm saying this as someone who played the game since the month after release. How long you played the game should have no effect on your chance to get into beta, unless there was a specific beta related need for it. It would simply be unfair to do so, because that would be permanent favoritism.

Agreed, but that's not to be disputed with experience which does come with time playing in the appropriate areas.

(edit: also, they did do a huge amount of bug fixes with CG at every stage lol)
Bearer of the Elephant Hammer
Premier Glitter Artillerist and Explarklives Operative.
Image

#PrayForSongz
Lugh: Pegasus
Mindreader - W
Doge Dandolo - D
CH on discord
CH database
Bitey's Guide
Glitter Mortar for Sale
Ya know what really gets my goat? La Chupacabra

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#46
Having “experience” shouldn’t be your ticket into beta... beta testers need to be testing as much as they possibly can. It shouldn’t be a luxury or something used just to see content early. Beta testers should be those most loyal to the company and most certainly would never leak content within closed beta which seems to be a recurring issue every closed beta. It’s quite a shame to see people leak out content and abusing their position in beta. A hard working tester beats out a normal player with more experience any day of the week. Yes having experience with the game is helpful in some scenarios, but that shouldn’t be the only thing that gets you in

A good tester tests everything possible in the beta and gives strong feedback/suggestions/bug reports, not small sections of it and then calling it a day. During open beta show VR that you are a loyal and hard working tester and they may just bring you in for a closed beta. Think of open beta as a job interview
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#47
Zkills wrote:Having “experience” shouldn’t be your ticket into beta... beta testers need to be testing as much as they possibly can. It shouldn’t be a luxury or something used just to see content early. Beta testers should be those most loyal to the company and most certainly would never leak content within closed beta which seems to be a recurring issue every closed beta. It’s quite a shame to see people leak out content and abusing their position in beta. A hard working tester beats out a normal player with more experience any day of the week. Yes having experience with the game is helpful in some scenarios, but that shouldn’t be the only thing that gets you in

A good tester tests everything possible in the beta and gives strong feedback/suggestions/bug reports, not small sections of it and then calling it a day. During open beta show VR that you are a loyal and hard working tester and they may just bring you in for a closed beta. Think of open beta as a job interview

Wrong all over I’m sorry to say. Anyone can run into a burning building but if you have no experience or expertise on what to do your just going to get in the way of the operation.
With regards to beta bug testing and running around is just a small part of it but doing the technical aspect is often more important.

Ultimately the best beta teams should be a mixture between some players with extreme knowledge about their classes on the mathematical level as well as an understanding of raid mechanics and possible balancing techniques and then 1 or 2 or 3 of those who have the time and will to run around new zones looking for random bugs.
Gwydion - Guardian of Relentless
BobsYourUncle 224 Fire Mage

Stubborn 220 Warrior (Tank)

Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
boymclir wrote:Bob The God

Shadae wrote:This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?

CD Swapping since 2016

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#48
There is currently a beta test with a small focus group to test new features for the upcoming content update. Due to the scope of the test, we were not able to extend an invitation to everyone and reached out to some players based on criteria we felt best suited the current situation. There is no point in guessing what those variables are. If we didn't reach out to you, we may still contact you should we chose to increase the scope of the current or future tests.

If you are interested in increasing the likelihood of being selected for focus tests like these, then interacting with the community on the forums and having a positive influence with players in game is your best bet.

We hope to release the update ASAP, as we've gotten some really good feedback from our testers already. I'll be able to share more info once we're more confident with the changes.

Thanks for your understanding! :)
Image

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#49
Elfylolz wrote:
Eragon123 wrote:In my opinion, it depends on what VR wants tested. If they just want to test the general user experience, or test for bugs, there isn't really a need for players with vast amounts of game knowledge or experience with prior betas. You would want someone with a very close attention to detail, who can spend large amounts of time repeating the same things multiple times trying to break it. Beta testing is actually one of the most boring things to do in game development...it tends to be highly repetitive, doing the same thing a hundred different times to try and see if anything breaks. The downside of open betas (and even closed betas occasionally) is that most people don't do that...they use it as a chance to see the new stuff before everyone else...which is completely understandable, but that's not the point of betas.

The fact that VR only picked certain people seems like a pretty smart choice to me. The last beta for the recent engine update turned into a "cliquey" gathering pretty quickly, with a lot of testers spending more time in the castle/arena than out looking for bugs and testing the new content.


Elfylolz wrote:Tbh, idrc about all that as long as I get the same prize(if there is any) for participating in open beta cuz that's just cold to hand-select people then let them pick the rest and give them all a special prize that's available to nobody else


I think this thought process is the main problem. Players want to participate in betas because of the reward, not because they want to contribute to the game. That's why I think there shouldn't be any reward, or at least severely limit it to only the players who contributed greatly - I liked that VR had requirements for the rewards in the last beta, I just hope that they are going to be strict in following them.

If players only participate in the beta to get the reward, they will almost always only do the absolute minimum required, because their focus is on what they get out of it, rather than what the company gets out of it. It makes way more sense to pick a selective group of players who VR knows will have good feedback and will be thorough in testing everything they are asked to.

I've always done beta and helped with bugs even without rewards lol but if they get a prize for being picked by other players to be in beta and nobody else does then that will be pretty unfair IMO, no prize is fine by me but only if everyone gets no prize lol



They should just give participation trophies to everyone.
Zyz 220 Druid
Noah Fences 220 Rogue

Re: Question to admins about Beta

#50
Difinitus wrote:There is currently a beta test with a small focus group to test new features for the upcoming content update. Due to the scope of the test, we were not able to extend an invitation to everyone and reached out to some players based on criteria we felt best suited the current situation. There is no point in guessing what those variables are. If we didn't reach out to you, we may still contact you should we chose to increase the scope of the current or future tests.

If you are interested in increasing the likelihood of being selected for focus tests like these, then interacting with the community on the forums and having a positive influence with players in game is your best bet.

We hope to release the update ASAP, as we've gotten some really good feedback from our testers already. I'll be able to share more info once we're more confident with the changes.

Thanks for your understanding! :)

Understandable on that side but not everyone has time or would want to be active on the forums as there not a lot going on, most people contribute ingame to bossing constantly and testing stratergies to find the best one for their clans.
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Rogue - Creativity Level 210
Warrior - Private Level 215
Ranger - Level 180+
Worlds - Mabon, Epona and rhiannon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: W7ch and 25 guests