Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Why are scammers not banned

On the server i play there are many accounts that have been known to scam by the server also accounts that have been sold for irl money yet none of these accounts are banned. its frustrating knowing reporting scammers isnt even doing anything all they do is take a 1 month break on the account and reappear then scam again. Ive seen people who have scammed gear from others still have the scammed items showing celtic heroes doesnt even help the victims rather they help the scammers. i am 100% that probably 40% of the people that play on my server are scammers on hidden accounts which is frustrating to know that a person your playing with is a scammer device ban the people or are you scared youll lose alot of people from playing the game which is the reason why scammers are never banned.

i dont bother reporting people any more becuase i have to go through the hassle of gathering screen shots and evidence and send it by email making me do your job

and then they dont even get banned when all you have to do is read there chat history look through trade history and you can see stolen items or scammers.
----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

Re: Why are scammers not banned

The issue is that all trades are final, otherwise a “scam” could be considered a multitude of things from a bad deal (or a good deal if you are a mercher), a gift, or a multitude of other things.
Scammers are bad for the game though so they try and keep them out but it usually takes a while for enough evidence and occupancies to happen before they are able to be satisfied that it’s not just a bad transaction or someone crying scammer but that it’s someone who is actively taking advantage of game metrics to better themselves at the expense of the community.

I’m sorry you have to deal with scammers, but thankfully VR and OTM as well take their due time. I was scammed pretty bad in a world xfer as a kid/noob, and it sucks, but I think the game would be worse off if everyone who got reported got banned without due observation.
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at

Full disclosure: I (and pretty much every other player out there) know practically nothing about how Support does their job and investigates accounts. This is just my guesswork based on what makes the most sense for Support.

It takes time to investigate accusations. Support also needs definitive proof before banning accounts....and even then, they most likely won't perma-ban an account (let alone a device) for first or possibly even second time offenses (don't quote me on that).

The other question at hand is: how did the scammer scam the victim? Most of the time, when someone is scammed, the majority of the blame falls on the victim (in my view).

Maybe the victim made an agreement with another player, that the other player didn't uphold (i.e. I'll give you 10k now for the item, then the other 10k in a couple days when I can get the gold...but the gold is never given).
Or perhaps the victim didn't pay enough attention to a trade...they may have been rushed to go to a boss and didn't see the other person swap out an item.
Or maybe the victim lent an item to someone else, then never got it back.

In a lot of those cases, Support might be limited on what they can do...from a technical standpoint, the person didn't really do anything wrong. In a trade, you have full access to see what is being traded...anything that may be traded in the future doesn't count. If you hit accept, then you accept that trade in front of you...and you are relying on the other person's word that they will uphold their part of the deal at a later date. It's not VR's fault if the player doesn't follow through. The sad part about scams is that it's usually the victim's fault for being too trusting.

As for non-trade interactions like server transfers...that's not an officially supported game mechanic from VR, so any results from that are unfortunately on your shoulders. That's why it's important to be careful who you interact with...the best ones are the people with a lot to lose.

On the topic of account selling...I'm not sure how hard that is for Support to prove. I really do hope that Support bans anyone who sells their account or freely shares it with others to affect the game (such as highly-geared characters for bosses when the account owner is unable to log).
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Scammers do get banned, I've been the victim of a few and they all eventually got permabans (Mwahahaha :D)

This may or may not be off-topic, but it occurred to me the other day and is kinda relevant:
I've been scammed before (gullibility isn't bannable thankfully), and have had the obvious retaliatory thought "why don't they just have an algorithm that flags obviously unfair trades?" Then it hit me; this would make banks accounts of any kind impossible to manage, much less gear borrowing, drop distributing etc. (this is probably intuitive to most people, but I just now put it into words for myself :P)

Edit: yeah, all the times I got scammed it was mostly my own fault for being to generous/trusting/lazy.

Pegasus Lugh Signature & Profile artwork by Angmar Reid
Mindreader ♥ Lethal Ninja (Doge Dandolo/Photon/Shazaam/Staboteur)
AH Dupe Glitch, Community Discord, Database, Bitey's Guide

Support isn't on forums; email issues to support@onethumbmobile.com

Scammers do get banned, I've been the victim of a few and they all eventually got permabans (Mwahahaha :D)

This may or may not be off-topic, but it occurred to me the other day and is kinda relevant:
I've been scammed before (gullibility isn't bannable thankfully), and have had the obvious retaliatory thought "why don't they just have an algorithm that flags obviously unfair trades?" Then it hit me; this would make banks accounts of any kind impossible to manage, much less gear borrowing, drop distributing etc. (this is probably intuitive to most people, but I just now put it into words for myself :P)

Edit: yeah, all the times I got scammed it was mostly my own fault for being to generous/trusting/lazy.
It’s the unfortunate truth that when people get behind a keyboard they assume they can do whatever they want because it isn’t real life...
While some become better versions of themselves online the opposite is just as true... if not more true :/

My philosophy over the years has come that I don’t lend out what I wouldn’t care to lose anymore.
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at