Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Farewell September But Hello October 2018

With VR holding the reigns of power currently grappling with a unity update many are left to ponder what direction CH will choose to go in this upcoming holiday season.

Let’s be honest, we all want a Halloween seasonal event back with a Bloodmoon over Lirs, and a winter wonderland come Christmas time. That said, what will we actually get? I along with a great many others hope VR has the ability to recycle these aforementioned cherished older events and implement them in CH in time for the holidays in 2018. However, it all rides on a unity update.

Looking past a unity update as we head into 2019 what should active CH players be looking for? In my opinion along with many others who I speak with in game it always comes down to more content and expanding the world of CH by adding new and exciting zones.

Cooking and fishing for example are great added features that will need to be addressed by VR moving forward as many players have hit a glass ceiling after being maxed out level wise and desperately awaiting the next update.

Fishing in my opinion is amazing but I possess the rod of all rods in the rod of nodens and still can’t seem to land a godly ring of fishing power which keeps the fishing fun and worth investing time into. ultimately, I want level 220 plus fishing with unique drops only available to anglers who can fish end game waters which will greatly enhance the value of fishing. Cooking I’m less invested in but still enjoy novelty recipes like gingerbread men and chocolate Mordis only available if you paid for holiday spice which are now gone. Please bring holiday spice back !

New zones are something I’m not holding my breath for but I certainly hope a water zone is added to the game with a swim function, or a floating land in the sky with a flight ability option. In effect this would result in greatly opening up the game in ways that would revolutionize this well polished mobile mmorpg. That’s my brief vision for what direction I’d like to see this game go in anyways.

I encourage the community to briefly express their expectations or desires as we head into 2019.

Re: Farewell September But Hello October 2018

To try and circle this thread back on topic...

I have no idea where in the update process VR is currently at right now, so I have no idea whether it will be ready for release in the next few months. Also, VR would have to have enough time to plan out, design, and build an event in that time period as well. I think having some sort of seasonal event this year yet may be pushing it, but we might be able to get a couple new recipes and fishing items.

Personally, I would love to see more crafting related mechanics released. Fishing was pretty cool, then cooking came out, which did a great job of tying fishing in, while letting cooking also be it’s own thing. I would love to see other options, like potion making, gear crafting/customization, and fashion creation.

Another really big deal would be to have mob drops be redone. We need more viable gear in the game, and instead of letting all the decent gear drop from bosses (or be in the questline), I would love to see actually decent gear be dropped by mobs. None of the stinkin tiered stuff, just honest to goodness decent gear. It shouldn’t necessarily be better than lux or endgame boss drops, but viable options for people who might not have the questline gear or shop armor. I really liked the dusk/dark/spiritshadow armors when they came out. They were a cool new armor type with a really nice idea behind the included skill (the more armor pieces you have, the stronger the skill is). Give us more stuff like this, preferably just semi-rare mob drops instead of quests. With a rarity that if someone is farming mobs their level for an hour or so, they could get 1-3 pieces or so. Enough that player prices won’t be insane, but just another type of gear drop that people can sell for normal prices, like rings currently are.

I would also like to see the endgame bosses tweaked so that there is more of an emphasis on divine/chaos, and less on other damage types. Even going so far as to make the main questline gear be a viable option for non endgame bosses, but not the most powerful option. Let bosses be super resistent to most damage forms, but incredibly weak to divine damage. Do a lot of chaos damage, but less regular damage.

Obviously these would take way more thought than my tired imagination can provide at the moment.

As for longer term future ideas, it’s hard to say. New zones would be nice, but the main question to answer is why? Why should there be new zones? What would be their point? What level would these zones be geared for? If they were geared for low-mid levels, then there is going to be a lot of backlash (on the forums at least) from people complaining that VR is ignoring the endgame percentage of players. Whereas if the new area was more for endgame players, it would likely turn into another gardens format (plus then VR would be pandering to endgame players :lol: )

Also, would new zones be similar to the gardens, where it’s just another neat area in the game with another big boss or 2, and a few other quests? Or would these zones be designed as leveling options?

Then to bounce off your comments about the flying and swimming mechanics...those would be insanely large steps for VR to take. Flying will likely never happen....it’s way easier to stick with an X Y axis, rather then throwing Z in there too.

Swimming may be a possibility....but it depends what you mean by swimming. Swimming as a mode of travel would be cool to see...but just think about how it fits with the current logistics of the game. If there was swimming, all current mounts and speed boost items wouldn’t really work, VR would have to design a bunch of new player animations for entering the water, exiting the water, swimming, etc. plus the biggest issue....players already dislike travelling in the game. The most likely outcome would be that VR would put months and months into designing a cool new area with swimming, then players would just fast travel all over, rendering most of the design work unseen except for newer players trying to find the leystones.

Don’t take misunderstand me. I would absolutely love to see exciting new content in the game, with amazing new mechanics, and now that the entire dev team got replaced, maybe we will. It would just be a big risk, a lot of work, and a loooong wait (with players asking for percentage of completion every other week lol).

I’m realizing now how long this post has gotten.
Tl;dr: I would love to see new game mechanics, but I’m not sure how possible they are with how the game is currently set up. I think a better option would be to update and redo some parts of the current game experience.

Celtic Heroes should be designed to keep players interested from level 1all the way 220, and feel like they are enjoying it the entire way, rather than feeling like they can’t really be much use until they hit endgame.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

I think expansion of mmorpgs specifically new CH zones is very important to retaining active players and growing the player base. I would hope new zones would stem from corrupt gardens, arcane sanctum, or the sewers. I do believe a new zone should be developed for end game players which would add incentive for new players to grind more this stimulating the in game economy while satisfying the most hardcore fraction of the CH community. Simply put, crank up the difficultly in new zone 220 plus and up only can enter, and rake them across the coals with little or no mercy adding things like xp penalties for dying, a couple brutal end game bosses that will end in viral rage vents after wipes on YouTube, and mobs that can’t be taken down without tremendous resources or effort.

I greatly approve and agree with incorporating mob drops that would include rare armor sets and weapons especially in a zone like the one I just mentioned. Expansions keep mmorpg games feeling fresh and progressive for me at least.

Those actually would be pretty neat to see.

The other part that VR needs to majorly expand content for is mid level players. They shouldn’t focus on just endgame content. Because that middle gap is so big and takes so much time to fill, there should be more content keeping players engaged. Otherwise, people start quitting. New quests would be great, an expanded storyline, new zone(s), etc. Preferably stuff that can stay relevant for a large portion of the game, rather than only being specific to a select level range.

I would really love to see the seasonal events back, they were really creative and fun. I have high hopes for VR, they are very communicative and seem to actually give the players what they want.
I’d like to see seasonal events too, just not the rinse and repeat ones that we used to have. I’d prefer more imaginative ones, with more cool zone effects (night time in lirs for samhain was amazing), or cool boss encounters where the bosses drop really impressive fun content, not regular gear. One of my favorite items in the game is the fireworks, and I’ve really liked all the different consumable effect items that have come out over the years. Especially with the Unity update, which hopefully can expand the graphical potential of the game, some permanent effect items would be amazing.

I’m picturing boss loot like “Orange Necklace of Flames” where, once equipped, your character will emit orange flames (through normal fashion and armor). Different colors of course, perhaps different tiers....lower tier might have small flames over your head, mid tier have larger particle effects (more of a good blaze), with max tier being an all consuming fire that totally covers the character. Maybe the boss will drop one permanent effect item, as well as a bunch of consumables that do similar effects, enough that all players will get a dozen or so.

Of course these could be expanded to be any number of other effects...the bats were really cool, snowflakes are awesome, there have been a dozen other sparkle effects that could be brought back. And that’s just personal effects.....maybe VR could figure out how to do effects that stay in one place. Stuff like lighting campfires that sit there and look pretty (or turn that into mobile cooking!). Or something like fireworks, where it has more of a visual range. Heck, even throw some kind of new seasonal styled fashion in the loot table.

These bosses wouldn’t need to be new raid bosses, there are already too many of those. I’m picturing smaller boss encounters that can be done by maybe 4-8 players. Perhaps more like the old pitchfork/reaper bosses from a few years ago, or the huntsman bosses (that dropped those skill boosting rings).

I’ve said before that one of the reasons I didn’t like seasonal events was because it took so much time away from permanent content. The reason I suggest this stuff, is because I’d hope it wouldn’t take as much time to design/build as the old events. This actually kinda got away from my main point, my imagination ran wild lol.

Basically, there are so many ways that VR could do fun content, without doing the (absolutely horrible) method of releasing op (overpowered/overpriced) lux, and redesigned boss loot that pervaded all the previous events. Also, seasonal events don’t necessarily need to be massive deals. Even small things like a new season themed fashion set (not in chests) or simply a sky change would be really neat.

I think expansion of mmorpgs specifically new CH zones is very important to retaining active players and growing the player base. I would hope new zones would stem from corrupt gardens, arcane sanctum, or the sewers. I do believe a new zone should be developed for end game players which would add incentive for new players to grind more this stimulating the in game economy while satisfying the most hardcore fraction of the CH community. Simply put, crank up the difficultly in new zone 220 plus and up only can enter, and rake them across the coals with little or no mercy adding things like xp penalties for dying, a couple brutal end game bosses that will end in viral rage vents after wipes on YouTube, and mobs that can’t be taken down without tremendous resources or effort.

I greatly approve and agree with incorporating mob drops that would include rare armor sets and weapons especially in a zone like the one I just mentioned. Expansions keep mmorpg games feeling fresh and progressive for me at least.
By hard I hope you mean well developed wipe mechanics that revolve around strategy and active players rather than just having a crap ton of players to hack and slash at a boss with insane damage output and massive aoe damage to massacre DPS.
Herne:
Wardon- 220 Warrior
Cryptic- 220 Rogue

Epona:
Yeeticus- 220 Ranger