Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: No update until unity... OTM very poor show.

I think it's because loot boxes are addictive and some territories (including China) see them as a form of gambling.

With other randomized mediums, players can calculate the expected value of their purchase, with loot boxes there is no such mechanism -- it's like playing poker with a deck where some apples may be missing, and the dealer won't tell you which ones.

I personally think the adjustment is to keep Apple in China's good graces, but the underlying reason makes sense.
As we can see with mainstream gaming today, RNG loot boxes are ruining the experience for players and seem to have become a norm. A cancerous norm. It's something I wish never existed because now most games, especially mobile games, thrive off of RNG.

That being said, as long as the chests in Celtic stay as they've always been and don't ever become something that contains NECESSARY items to progress through the game then I'm fine with it.

Just release the odds and don't change the way chests function please, VR. Don't be like Blitz mode in Halo Wars 2 where you can't even enjoy it without buying RNG junk.
One could argue that the heroic elixirs that come from those chests are a necessity to progress at endgame with raids.
Herne:
Wardon- 220 Warrior
Cryptic- 220 Rogue

Epona:
Yeeticus- 220 Ranger

I think it's because loot boxes are addictive and some territories (including China) see them as a form of gambling.

With other randomized mediums, players can calculate the expected value of their purchase, with loot boxes there is no such mechanism -- it's like playing poker with a deck where some apples may be missing, and the dealer won't tell you which ones.

I personally think the adjustment is to keep Apple in China's good graces, but the underlying reason makes sense.
As we can see with mainstream gaming today, RNG loot boxes are ruining the experience for players and seem to have become a norm. A cancerous norm. It's something I wish never existed because now most games, especially mobile games, thrive off of RNG.

That being said, as long as the chests in Celtic stay as they've always been and don't ever become something that contains NECESSARY items to progress through the game then I'm fine with it.

Just release the odds and don't change the way chests function please, VR. Don't be like Blitz mode in Halo Wars 2 where you can't even enjoy it without buying RNG junk.
One could argue that the heroic elixirs that come from those chests are a necessity to progress at endgame with raids.
Plat items completely necessary on comp servers
Nee, Proud CHIEFTAIN of the beloved Aeon KodiakReavers of Belenus,
229 Druid

I think the whole problem here is that the chests DO drop necessary items. For example, think of everyone you know who has bought plat over the past several months. How many of them used it to buy xps/combos (or any consumables) direct from the store? Probably not very many...I'd guess that for the majority of the playerbase, once they have platinum, it goes straight to chests. Then they open the chests, get consumables, and that's how other people (who don't buy plat) can get them. If all necessary items were removed from chests, leaving only aeon items (like mounts etc) and fashion in them, less people would buy the chests, but of course there would be a LOT less people complaining about the chests...

Of course, VR is never going to do that. They are a company trying to make money, and chests are a great way to do that.

So anyways, imo at least the reason chests are so frustrating is because they contain necessary items (and people have completely forgotten that there are normal elixirs available for direct purchase in the store...).
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Bad News: Due to a change in iOS policy, we won't be able to update the game until we move to Unity 2018. I am truly sorry.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/submit/

To be honest this isn’t bad news at all, the game should have been updated a long time ago, CH make a lot of money from iOS players and should be giving something back like make it compatible with current devices. Frankly I am happy apple decided to do something that the players couldn’t do.
Finally OTM have to make the game work properly on all new devices.

Even the small games FTP and PTP have updated their apps to work on the newer devices there simply isn’t any excuse.
Amen, bout time. OTM lied to our faces for a year saying it was in the works... nice to see it’s finally happening...
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at

I think the whole problem here is that the chests DO drop necessary items. For example, think of everyone you know who has bought plat over the past several months. How many of them used it to buy xps/combos (or any consumables) direct from the store? Probably not very many...I'd guess that for the majority of the playerbase, once they have platinum, it goes straight to chests. Then they open the chests, get consumables, and that's how other people (who don't buy plat) can get them. If all necessary items were removed from chests, leaving only aeon items (like mounts etc) and fashion in them, less people would buy the chests, but of course there would be a LOT less people complaining about the chests...

Of course, VR is never going to do that. They are a company trying to make money, and chests are a great way to do that.

So anyways, imo at least the reason chests are so frustrating is because they contain necessary items (and people have completely forgotten that there are normal elixirs available for direct purchase in the store...).
You and the others are correct, and helped make my point about how horrible the need for RNG in games is nowadays.

Chests aren't "needed" seeing as you can, like you said, buy the elixirs direct from the store as well as level/raid without any of them or idols or sigils- your toon will just suck and be of no help.

It's that fine line of an argument where OTM, VR, and any other company like this will make saying that their game is completely free to play and progress to End Game without spending a penny. But then the fine print says but be prepared to have an awful time trying to do anything and actually enjoy the game.

When RNG dies I will be a very happy man.
Would you kindly?

You and the others are correct, and helped make my point about how horrible the need for RNG in games is nowadays.

Chests aren't "needed" seeing as you can, like you said, buy the elixirs direct from the store as well as level/raid without any of them or idols or sigils- your toon will just suck and be of no help.

It's that fine line of an argument where OTM, VR, and any other company like this will make saying that their game is completely free to play and progress to End Game without spending a penny. But then the fine print says but be prepared to have an awful time trying to do anything and actually enjoy the game.

When RNG dies I will be a very happy man.
Add heroic lixes for purchase and chests will no longer be bought by me.
Ascension

227+ Rogue
221+ Mage
200+ Warrior
220+ Mage
200 Rogue
210+ Druid

Perma banned from ch friends band for spamming no u ft. Rogue81 & W7CH

Rogue BT Kill 09/20/2019

39th Full Doch, 14th Rogue - Danu

Chests being tradeable, all their contents (except plat rewards) being tradeable, and the relative ease in which gold can be acquired (selling drops, gold bosses, etc) doesn't make purchasing plat necessary for the endgame... I actually really admire that OTM/VR (by that I believe Richard has been the primary force) hasn't focused CH too much on platinum, and haven't differentiated plat buyers/not with plat-only gear.
World Taranis

- Regenleif -
Rachmaninoff
Aedin Flameborn

Former Leader in theILLUMINATI, Aeon, and Taranis United

I am a Guide! If you need any tips/help/advice, Click Here to send me a message!

Chests being tradeable, all their contents (except plat rewards) being tradeable, and the relative ease in which gold can be acquired (selling drops, gold bosses, etc) doesn't make purchasing plat necessary for the endgame... I actually really admire that OTM/VR (by that I believe Richard has been the primary force) hasn't focused CH too much on platinum, and haven't differentiated plat buyers/not with plat-only gear.
Upload a vid of your server killing BT without lixs or idols den...
Sure anyone can get lixs SO LONG AS someone has bought the plat, but someone still had to buy it.
With all the raids in a day lixs from bounties and daily rewards would never be enough...

Plat is 100% a requirement for EG atm. The game is pay to win in that since. The game is free to play, but in the end if you want to be able to get he best possible end game gear, or to “win” someone somewhere has to pay for you to do it...
And with plat goods in high demand usually there is 1-3 high plat buyers in each clan that do the majority of the supplying.

So if plat is just an added boost, I’d love to see a no plat BT raid done
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at