Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

OnePlus One overheating

I've been running a OnePlus One for almost a year now. I got it to replace my Samsung S3 after Samsung pushed out the OTA updates to the bootloader and radio that effectively killed the S3, but this isn't a discussion regarding THAT so I will refrain from elaborating further. I was completely blown away by the One, not only in terms of it's price, but also its performance, stability, and, most importantly, its battery life. I've never had an issue with it, period.

However, Celtic Heroes is really heating this up pretty significantly; so much so that I'll get about 15-30 minutes of consistent game time before my phone reboots itself. Normally, I just play for a few, log out, and do something else for a few minutes before coming back. This DOES limit my ability to group with others, but that's beside the point. I do often get too immersed that I forget to take a break, at which point, my phone promptly reminds me that it does not have sweat glands! Haha!

I've lowered the settings in game, reduced transparencies to 16-bit, and even turned down the max CPU speed from 2.5 to 1.5 GHz. I haven't messes with the governor at all, so that is still set to Interactive. Still, I have not had any success preventing overheating.

Has anyone else experienced heat issues with this, or any other phone? I may consider rooting and under clocking my GPU, but I'm not sure if that would yield any significant benefits. Plus, I am against self-crippling my phone just on sheer principle.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Aside from cutting a hole on the back of the case and strapping a 120 mm fan to it! LOL!

Re: OnePlus One overheating

UPDATE:

Since there are no responses, I can only assume that I am the only person experiencing this issue. Surely, I can't be the only person trying to play on a OPO (don't call me Shirley...)

Usually, the reboots happen after 15-20 minutes of game time. At that point, the phone is usually pretty hot. However, I did have one reboot occur when the phone was barely warm, so at this point I am inclined to think that perhaps it's not necessarily the heat that is causing the issue, moreso, something coincidental yet unrelated.

I will continue to do further testing and, if I do determine the cause, will post an update in case others run into the same issue.

Perhaps it's a feature, to force me to get back to work, not get fired, and thus indirectly keep me playing CH. Hmmm.. The pondering has commenced.

The game runs fine on my OPO.

I have found that when I play any graphics intensive game, after about 15 minutes the phone (particularly in the back camera region) gets pretty hot, but for the year I have had it, I have never gotten it to where the phone actually turns off.

By the way, hi. You are the first person I have found to also have a opo. Sorry for the super late reply. Havent been checking the ask for help forums too actively.
PM me and I will do my best to help you with whatever you need.

I've been running a OnePlus One for almost a year now. I got it to replace my Samsung S3 after Samsung pushed out the OTA updates to the bootloader and radio that effectively killed the S3, but this isn't a discussion regarding THAT so I will refrain from elaborating further. I was completely blown away by the One, not only in terms of it's price, but also its performance, stability, and, most importantly, its battery life. I've never had an issue with it, period.

However, Celtic Heroes is really heating this up pretty significantly; so much so that I'll get about 15-30 minutes of consistent game time before my phone reboots itself. Normally, I just play for a few, log out, and do something else for a few minutes before coming back. This DOES limit my ability to group with others, but that's beside the point. I do often get too immersed that I forget to take a break, at which point, my phone promptly reminds me that it does not have sweat glands! Haha!

I've lowered the settings in game, reduced transparencies to 16-bit, and even turned down the max CPU speed from 2.5 to 1.5 GHz. I haven't messes with the governor at all, so that is still set to Interactive. Still, I have not had any success preventing overheating.

Has anyone else experienced heat issues with this, or any other phone? I may consider rooting and under clocking my GPU, but I'm not sure if that would yield any significant benefits. Plus, I am against self-crippling my phone just on sheer principle.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Aside from cutting a hole on the back of the case and strapping a 120 mm fan to it! LOL!
Hi Zhamshir,

The over-heating issue sounds very much like the same issue that was experienced by a number of HTC and Samsung Note devices.

In those situations it turned out to be having the game stored on an SD apple that was causing the problem. The amount of constant data transfer appeared to be the cause of the heating.

I do not remember specifically if it was an issue with not storing the game on the internal memory or if it only caused an issue if the game was stored on certain types of SD apple but the suggestion to move the game to internal memory seemed to fix the issue for most people that reported it.

Check Celtic Heroes in the Application menu of your device and see if it possible to move to internal memory.

Cheers,
Esq
"It was like that when I got here"