Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Purpose of our class...

Hello all rangers and non ranger visitors. This is a neat topic of discussion currently in the rant forums section and I would like yalls opinion on this question: What is the purpose of the ranger class?
A ranger's main role is support. Don't like it? Try another class.
Longshot,Sharpshot,Double shot,Explosive arrow are support skills?
Notice I said main. Dps is secondary. A ranger shouldn't be able to root, bolas, and entangle bosses and buff teammates with dmg and heal without having low dps.
So... If we are support (and ill be ...not happy... if my ranger will be just support) Then what about druids? Hmmmm? Are they just support?

Here I will answer for you: No they are not and some druids can outdps all other classes on bosses. Including the 'dps classes' (rogue and mage and warrior, apparently not ranger though idk why we would ever put any points in str or dex, minds well just put all our stat points in vit and foc to do something decent......................).

If even DRUIDS ...THE... Support class of all SUPPORT CLASSES can out dps rangers then im sorry but we have a ...really big problem... Also I would like to point out a couple things:

Rangers don't root, we can only bolas and root is superior to bolas in all ways as it is recastable without a cd reduction skull.
We have no heal buffs.
We do have a very nice heal that can be at times comparable to druids heal but that is only if we are skill based or have lots of rings for it.

The only 2 things we can do that other classes cannot DIRECTLY do is entangle and adding dmg (sharpen and defensive spikes).

Druids can INDIRECTLY slow any mob/boss's auto attacks through using howling wind, which with enough defense can be MUCH more effective than entangle.

Mages can INDIRECTLY increase other players dmg, and much more efficiently than rangers do, through using their amazing lures.
Warriors can INDIRECTLY increase other players dmg too through shatter, though this too is relatively not quite as effective as lures.
Rogues can INDIRECTLY increase other players dmg through no less than 3 different skills: Expose weakness, Smoke Bomb, and Poison weapon, the poison is however the one skill not as good as the one we have, sharpen. Ill give you that. However you might counter that with the fact that the dmg is MOSTLY IRRESISTABLE.

Onto defensive spikes comparisons:
Mages can cast FIRE CLOAK which beats defensive spikes any time, any day, any week, any month, any year, any mob, and any boss.
You can buy ITEMS that do better and more consistent dmg than OUR defensive spikes skill complete with dex buff and maxed!

So without flying off the handle completely... WHAT IS OUR PURPOSE?! Every SINGLE class has skills that are more than comparable to our skills, and in 99.9% of the case MUCH BETTER than our own. As I am pretty done as far as this goes with trying to define the ranger class, and thus coming up with all the above facts I am pretty done trying to define us as a class.

OTM, design team etc why don't you help rangers out telling us what the ... we were originally designed for? Ill even accept other players at this point. :3 Would prefer an OTM response though as between yakat and myself I think we have figured out there is no real purpose to our class yes?
Belenus
Napstrike- 88+ DPS Rogue- Ninja Pirates
Napol- Ranger

Morrigan
Napol- 130+ Hybrid Ranger
Napol2- 83 DPS Rogue

Re: Purpose of our class...

You are just complaining and not looking at the positive aspects. Yes, I am a dps druid and I can easily beat rangers on kills. But how much harder was it for me to get to this level? How much more money did i put into sigils? Rangers have the massive benefit of being cheap to level. Most of your skills work to mitigate damage received and you require much fewer idols, sigils, etc at a high level. What other class can easily solo level with very little to no lux items? Druid dps skill energy costs require either an energy elix and spamming restos at every boss or buying thousands of sigils. Your comment about roots vs bolas is blatantly wrong. "recastable"? Only if you kill a level 185 boss and want to sacrifice a better mainhand weapon. But if you're in a clan capable of that already, you probably don't need to be using roots. Root also has the major drawback of getting every nonranged character wiped. If the "job" of a druid is to be a support, that isn't a very good skill then, don't you think? Bolas can avoid once and still have enough time to recast before it expires. Why don't you try solo leveling a druid to 180 and I'll do the same with a ranger. See who wins, and whose wallet is lighter after? Rangers can do everything reasonably well, and that is their attractive aspect. A full support druid has no dps. A full dps druid gets killed every 30 seconds on a boss with paper thin armor. Rangers can heal well, take agro all fight without dying with bolas, and still dps reasonably well. All with the same build
Level 220 mage- InnerCircle of Rhiannon
Necro, proteus, unox kills :D
http://www.celticheroes.net/profile.php?hero=runvs

@Blackmamma I personally find druids extremely easy to train in this version of the game. Maybe you're doing something wrong, I recommend taking a look at the druid section of the forums instead of the ranger section hmm. FYI bolas can NOT be avoided and recast before it wears off. Ranger dps is absolutely horrible while training. Trust me, any energy elixer you have to use to train is equivalent to a ranger haven't to use a haste elixer because our dps is TERRIBLE. Oh and ranger skills work together to mitigate damage? I'm sure you think that rangers run around bolasing mobs and healing themselves for every kill whilst training. If that was true I would still be training today because it would take twice as long to bolas every mob to take half of it's hp, run away, then bolas again and run away... considering now half of our skill points are keeping us alive we have even less to help us kill fast. Druid training is a breeze compared to ranger: root, vines, bees, strike, repeat. I've taken my druid to level 185 and ranger to 190 so I hope I would know a bit about how to play em. Oh, you have leveled a ranger to at least 180 right? Or are you speaking from a biased omniscient point of view in which your opinion is invalid to any experienced ranger.
Albericus of Herne
Lazydrunks founder
Ranger skills still broken...

You are just complaining and not looking at the positive aspects. Yes, I am a dps druid and I can easily beat rangers on kills. But how much harder was it for me to get to this level? How much more money did i put into sigils? Rangers have the massive benefit of being cheap to level. Most of your skills work to mitigate damage received and you require much fewer idols, sigils, etc at a high level. What other class can easily solo level with very little to no lux items? Druid dps skill energy costs require either an energy elix and spamming restos at every boss or buying thousands of sigils. Your comment about roots vs bolas is blatantly wrong. "recastable"? Only if you kill a level 185 boss and want to sacrifice a better mainhand weapon. But if you're in a clan capable of that already, you probably don't need to be using roots. Root also has the major drawback of getting every nonranged character wiped. If the "job" of a druid is to be a support, that isn't a very good skill then, don't you think? Bolas can avoid once and still have enough time to recast before it expires. Why don't you try solo leveling a druid to 180 and I'll do the same with a ranger. See who wins, and whose wallet is lighter after? Rangers can do everything reasonably well, and that is their attractive aspect. A full support druid has no dps. A full dps druid gets killed every 30 seconds on a boss with paper thin armor. Rangers can heal well, take agro all fight without dying with bolas, and still dps reasonably well. All with the same build
Buddy, the reason that we are cheap is cause we suck at pvp and sometimes pve. U say that bolas cn be casted 2 times, but, the energy it takes is insane. Druids have really good heals and good dps. Just get into a clan, druids get cheaper. Casters also have an advantage over other classes, they dont need strength or dex. If i didnt, my health would be 2k more than it is now. A lvl 102 mage ik has 2.2k health, and when I was that lvl, I had 1.5k. All because melee classes need str and dex. That may be a reason casters use a lot of energy, cause they have more stat points per stat( vit and foc). So stop complaining about druids being worse than rangers, u guys cn out dps, out heal and out live us anyday. All u need is a constant heal now and then

@Blackmamma I personally find druids extremely easy to train in this version of the game. Maybe you're doing something wrong, I recommend taking a look at the druid section of the forums instead of the ranger section hmm. FYI bolas can NOT be avoided and recast before it wears off. Ranger dps is absolutely horrible while training. Trust me, any energy elixer you have to use to train is equivalent to a ranger haven't to use a haste elixer because our dps is TERRIBLE. Oh and ranger skills work together to mitigate damage? I'm sure you think that rangers run around bolasing mobs and healing themselves for every kill whilst training. If that was true I would still be training today because it would take twice as long to bolas every mob to take half of it's hp, run away, then bolas again and run away... considering now half of our skill points are keeping us alive we have even less to help us kill fast. Druid training is a breeze compared to ranger: root, vines, bees, strike, repeat. I've taken my druid to level 185 and ranger to 190 so I hope I would know a bit about how to play em. Oh, you have leveled a ranger to at least 180 right? Or are you speaking from a biased omniscient point of view in which your opinion is invalid to any experienced ranger.
Now that is better. Opinion from an experienced person.

We have a great deal of trouble beating Mordis without our Rangers. The lower level rangers heal, 150s-170s perform utility services (spikes, sharpen, entangle) and the higher level rangers DPS like all get-out. When our 190+ rangers are MIA, it probably doesn't matter how many mages and rogues we have in attendance : P

Our primary role fluctuates greatly by situation. Keep some alt books on you!

In summary, I enjoy having whatever 'primary' role is needed for the situation.
Landarin
160+ Ranger
Member of ThePillars, Taranis

@Blackmamma I personally find druids extremely easy to train in this version of the game. Maybe you're doing something wrong, I recommend taking a look at the druid section of the forums instead of the ranger section hmm.
ooooh kill em... Shots fired