Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Delve into the depths of your minds - Zeno's Paradox

So, I've come across this paradox recently, and I have not been able to figure it out, although I'll include my best answer. I would like to see what you guys think! Here goes:
So, Achilles is having a race with a tortoise, Achilles is obviously much faster, so the tortoise is given a 100 unit head start. Achilles quickly sprints to where the tortoise was, moving 100 units forward, while the tortoise has moved 10 units in the same time. In the next segment of the race (occurring in a tenth of the times), Achilles sprints 10 units forward while the tortoise has moved 1 unit. The paradox occurs when you repeat this process and conclude that the tortoise will always be in front, even though Achilles in 10x faster.
My best answer:
The sequence is being interpreted as a geometric(?) progression in which the tortoise will always win, though in reality it is arithmetic, meaning that the tortoise's movement is geometrically independent from that of Achilles, and vice versa. According to this, Achilles will not move 10x the speed of the tortoise, but at a pace of 100 units / segment, while the tortoise moves at a speed of 10 units / segment + 100 units. From this I can gather that Achilles will surpass the tortoise as an indeterminable distance of X from the point of origin if X is used in the inequality 110<X<112., X being infinitely close to 112 units from the origin of the race. (Or, X=111.111...). This statement also states that if, as posed by Zeno's paradox, Achilles never surpasses the hare, the race will have to end at a point before X. This, however cannot be true, since the race is an infinite distance and the racers are infinitely traveling geometric points.
I am a Moderator Need any help? Private message me here or send me a mail in-game, Liviticus on every world.

Re: Delve into the depths of your minds - Zeno's Paradox

The tortoise will always be ahead as long as the distance of the race is less than 111.1111111111....
but what if you factor in the elements. the paradox forgot to factor in the elements and surroundings. for example, if the path they take turns sharply, or if its on a hill.
any ideas to where you factor this in and will it effect it overall? (or am I just overthinking it.)
Hogana (Retired)
I creep around the forums.

The tortoise will always be ahead as long as the distance of the race is less than 111.1111111111....
but what if you factor in the elements. the paradox forgot to factor in the elements and surroundings. for example, if the path they take turns sharply, or if its on a hill.
any ideas to where you factor this in and will it effect it overall? (or am I just overthinking it.)
Ok then post it 4 times

Ok then post it 4 times
sorry for the past few weeks the forums for me has gone bonkers. this is the first time i was able to log on in over 2 weeks. it was really odd.
Hogana (Retired)
I creep around the forums.