Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Would you press charges?

Ok so Friday night I head to Nyc in a rush due to my bf I forgot my ipod 5 in the dorm. I stayed the weekend in Nyc but when I got back ipod was missing. Also a 200 necklace I got as a gift in my jewelry box in my drawer. As it turns out today I found out it was a friend of my roommates who stole the ipod. Claims didn't take necklace.

The young lady.....was crying saying very sorry once i filed a police report to try to get my items back...
Would you press charges?
PurpleRain 226+ Mage
Vanity 227+ Druid
I can't make the World Purple when it's Gray
Beta Android Tester

Re: Would you press charges?

Don't bother - you recovered your iPod and expensive necklace. It was a horrible experience no doubt, but in the end you didn't lose anything.

You're wondering if you should press charges to stop anyone else's belongings from being stolen by the perpetrator.

-If we assume that this was the first time she had attempted to steal your stuff - it went wrong and anyone else would be shaken from an encounter with the police. If she came from a decent home, her family will give her some serious grief and we can hope she won't do it again.

-If this was one of many attempted small thefts, then pressing charges (which as you say will almost certainly not result in any litigious action), won't change her behaviour - you will have just wasted your own time.

Personally I don't think there is, in general, a right or wrong answer - every situation is different.

If I were you, I'd just let it go. Let us not condemn and be swift to judge her, but perhaps strive to show her the evil in her actions and steer her towards the better path. I know that with your beautiful personality and constant good mood, you would most probably succeed and make NYC a better place.

Cheers

Don't bother - you recovered your iPod and expensive necklace. It was a horrible experience no doubt, but in the end you didn't lose anything.

You're wondering if you should press charges to stop anyone else's belongings from being stolen by the perpetrator.

-If we assume that this was the first time she had attempted to steal your stuff - it went wrong and anyone else would be shaken from an encounter with the police. If she came from a decent home, her family will give her some serious grief and we can hope she won't do it again.

-If this was one of many attempted small thefts, then pressing charges (which as you say will almost certainly not result in any litigious action), won't change her behaviour - you will have just wasted your own time.

Personally I don't think there is, in general, a right or wrong answer - every situation is different.

If I were you, I'd just let it go. Let us not condemn and be swift to judge her, but perhaps strive to show her the evil in her actions and steer her towards the better path. I know that with your beautiful personality and constant good mood, you would most probably succeed and make NYC a better place.

Cheers
Well this is a nice response if I ever heard one. Sadly the necklace was not recovered but did give up the ipod. Also this isn't her first of stealing. Even though some feel it's a minor thing I do feel violated someone going through my belongings. The necklace thank goodness wasn't the one my mother gave me little before passing. That's something that cannot be replaced.

PS she claims to not have taken the necklace and I keep thinking what if that part is true. It does have me looking at everybody sideways including my roommate. I know no one is crazy enough to wear it and will prob try to sell or pawn it.
PurpleRain 226+ Mage
Vanity 227+ Druid
Beta Android Tester

You do what you feel is right. Im sure you will make the right choice Purple :)

As was spoken before every situation is different
-Who the items were stolen from(Some people would press charges without a second thought and some wouldnt out of sympathy to the thief, all depends on the view of the victim)
-What was stolen(something thats important would lean towards pressed charges)
-How important is the item(If its important then absolutely, this could go along with teaching a lesson. Even if it isnt important and you dont press charges you may make the thief think that he/she will be able to get away with it, which could lead to serious trouble in the future)
-Pressing charges could teach a lesson(Cause the thief to think that this kind of action will lead to trouble and quit or make them rethink telling you if they truly stole the item that they previously said they didn't have)
-etc

It's probably best. It's not like thieves stop and think "well this could be important to them, maybe I shouldn't steal it." they just care about what's in there best interest. Not thinking about if It may hurt the other person. I say go ahead and do it.
So true, I'm still bummed on the necklace. Glad I recovered the ipod. That ipod I would have to wait a long time to purchase again. Which would've meant no celtic! Picking it up tomorrow.
PurpleRain 226+ Mage
Vanity 227+ Druid
Beta Android Tester

While I know this may not be applicable here, I'd like to share a moral story with you that may make you rethink rebranding thieves as doing things for their personal interest (based off the Heinz Dilemna):

A woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. The drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to produce. He paid $200 for the radium and charged $2,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money, but he could only get together about $ 1,000, which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said, "No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it." So Heinz got desperate and broke into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.

Some people steal to feed other members of their family. Others do it because they have been taught to do so, be it for survival or personal gains. Still others do it on the spur of the moment, even though they may be kind at heart.

Just food for thought.