Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: A Discussion About Religion: The [Threequel]

Theres propoganda that isnt noticable, but influences thoughts. Invisible propaganda ftw
Such as...?
I believe he is referring to subliminal messaging, the act of appealing to the sub conscious instead of the present conscious, in an attempt to influence thoughts without the targets permission

Theres propoganda that isnt noticable, but influences thoughts. Invisible propaganda ftw
Such as...?
I believe he is referring to subliminal messaging, the act of appealing to the sub conscious instead of the present conscious, in an attempt to influence thoughts without the targets permission
Ok, but I would like an example of the medium and the message.

I don't understand why everyone looks to the past about religion. We are in 2014, where the mindset for absolutely everything has changed.

Almost all your ancestors lived and did evil things just as Christians did back in the medieval times. They were dark ages, and people looked to religion for hope. I bet you 99% of the people who were Christians at the time just did it for hope, practiced none of the customs. Other religions however, have not changed since then. Some Islamic root religions still believe in killing other people to have a good place in heaven, which is pretty awful.

The modern Christian is a much more different kind of person. Just because some people did some things in the past, it does not mean we agree with them. If we had agreed with them, don't you think we would still be burning "witches" ?

Christians at the time had a completely wrong idea, but the human race as a whole evolved, and Christianity with it. So please do not tell me about things that happened generations ago that people of whatever religion today have nothing to do with.

Calling a persons ideas is in fact offensive. A person consists of his/her values and ideals, we are nothing without them. Telling me that abortion makes the world have to pay less for one person is a fact, but does that mean that whatever other opinion is stupid and retarded?

The factual answer isn't always the morally right one.
Regarding the '99% of Christians believed just for hope': Theres a big difference between "hope" and "faith". Faith: believing something you can't see, or, feel.
Hope: wishing something or wanting something to happen.
Just thought I might point that out.
A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. - Einstein
God is subtle but he is not malicious. - Einstein

If god is good how come he committed 2 genosides when the devil only killed 2 people, honestly satanism seems more moral than Christianity, just saying.
Well, for one, the flood I know of.
If you know ABOUT the flood happening but not the actual REASON, well then, I'll let you find out yourself.
A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. - Einstein
God is subtle but he is not malicious. - Einstein

I don't understand why everyone looks to the past about religion. We are in 2014, where the mindset for absolutely everything has changed.

Almost all your ancestors lived and did evil things just as Christians did back in the medieval times. They were dark ages, and people looked to religion for hope. I bet you 99% of the people who were Christians at the time just did it for hope, practiced none of the customs. Other religions however, have not changed since then. Some Islamic root religions still believe in killing other people to have a good place in heaven, which is pretty awful.

The modern Christian is a much more different kind of person. Just because some people did some things in the past, it does not mean we agree with them. If we had agreed with them, don't you think we would still be burning "witches" ?

Christians at the time had a completely wrong idea, but the human race as a whole evolved, and Christianity with it. So please do not tell me about things that happened generations ago that people of whatever religion today have nothing to do with.

Calling a persons ideas is in fact offensive. A person consists of his/her values and ideals, we are nothing without them. Telling me that abortion makes the world have to pay less for one person is a fact, but does that mean that whatever other opinion is stupid and retarded?

The factual answer isn't always the morally right one.
Regarding the '99% of Christians believed just for hope': Theres a big difference between "hope" and "faith". Faith: believing something you can't see, or, feel.
Hope: wishing something or wanting something to happen.
Just thought I might point that out.
Right, they just used religion for forgiveness and for good fortune.

I am torn between Christian and Atheist beliefs tbh.
Rogue 166 - Ghostbro
Ranger 126 - Acebow
Warrior 85 - Ghostwar

Soldiersofjah
SULIS

I have noticed that some posts are mocking, and are verging away from a discussion.

To discuss, you can provide a rebuttal and put forward your argument without having to mimic, mock or put someone down.

Since this is the third thread created on this topic, I will lock the thread and ensure that no further threads are created should this behaviour continue. I don't want to lock the thread because discussion is healthy and it is evidently a popular topic, but please respect each other's beliefs. This doesn't mean you have to agree, but respect that some people might be sensitive to what you think is harmless. :)

Forum Rules | Avoid Naming and Shaming | The Important Stuff
Want me to read your post? Quote me!

I have noticed that some posts are mocking, and are verging away from a discussion.

To discuss, you can provide a rebuttal and put forward your argument without having to mimic, mock or put someone down.

Since this is the third thread created on this topic, I will lock the thread and ensure that no further threads are created should this behaviour continue. I don't want to lock the thread because discussion is healthy and it is evidently a popular topic, but please respect each other's beliefs. This doesn't mean you have to agree, but respect that some people might be sensitive to what you think is harmless. :)
I would like to point out yet again facts are not opinions. If a person denies facts, based on no evidence, then that is a literal dictionary definition of ignorance. We should be able to point out factual flaws with plain language.

Furthermore if you have been following this thread there have been racist, misogynistic, homophobic, etc opinions. Even posting them is against the TOS of this forum if you take a literal interpretation. Thus when comments like those are posted I am not going to respect that persons "opinion". No one else should in good conscience either.

If locking this post results then perhaps it is better off that way.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

I would like to point out yet again facts are not opinions. If a person denies facts, based on no evidence, then that is a literal dictionary definition of ignorance. We should be able to point out factual flaws with plain language.

Furthermore if you have been following this thread there have been racist, misogynistic, homophobic, etc opinions. Even posting them is against the TOS of this forum if you take a literal interpretation. Thus when comments like those are posted I am not going to respect that persons "opinion". No one else should in good conscience either.

Well, there is a difference between mocking and being reasonable.

Homophobic: doesnt homophobic mean that you are scared of homosexuals? Because if it does, then I am certainly not a homophobe. Also, I do not hate homosexuals. Do I believe that it is a sin? You better believe it! Do I believe it is genetic? Well, I personnaly do not, but you say there is evidence that it is, and I believe that others have found evidence that it isn't. Also it doesn't really make sense that all of a sudden there are more people whose genes are telling them to be homosexuals than there were a couple hundred years ago(or even 50 years ago) when people believe the Bible. Also, even if it was genetic, there are plenty of former homosexuals that have become Christians and turned away from that life. I would also guess that there are many who have turned away from that life who certainly would not have said that they were bi-sexual(pls forgive if thats not the right word, but I believe it is). Also I think it is interesting to note that many cultures in which homosexuality(or other things that the Bible said were wrong) had become popular either ended or are a shadow of their former selves.

Racist: ???

Misogynistic: I believe this word means prejudiced between men and women(correct me if I am wrong).

Lets start with facts: are there differences between men and women? Duh.
Are women better at some things than men? Duh.
Are men better at some things than women? Duh.
Are some women better at things that men are usually better at and vice versa? Duh.
Are some women smarter than men and vice versa? Duh.

Now, you like to take what the Bible says are the women's responsibility in the home and say "ah-ha! There is evidence that Christians are sexist!" Well you kinda missed the part where Paul talked about the mans duty in the home. They both have different responsibilities. And when you look at it logically, instead of getting all huffy, in most cases the man is better suited to do what the Bible said a man should do and a woman is better suited for what the Bible says the woman is to do. If you look at the divorce rate from 50-100 years before now, you will find that it was less(or if this isn't true it is only because many people now don't even bother getting married). Also more people followe the Bible then. Coincidence? I think not.

Vraelen, I believe you said earlier that if I followed the Bibles way of doin things in a relationship, then good luck with that relationship. Well, my brothers and their wives, when they followed the Bible, have had good marriages. My parents as well. Ask many old couples and I would bet that they would tell you that what they did was similar to what the Bible says.

I also believe it is important to note that Israel, which the Bible says is Gods chosen nation, is, i believe, the only nation in the world that fell completely apart and then, although the odds were so much against them that no Las Vegas gambler would hve backed them, came back together and formed a nation.
Psalm 46:10 He says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Solumbum-200
WeldenS-36
BlodgarmS-35
EragonS-27

Junior Journalist of the Dal Riata Daily Enquirer

Proud Clansman of Divergent

Well, there is a difference between mocking and being reasonable.

Homophobic: doesnt homophobic mean that you are scared of homosexuals? Because if it does, then I am certainly not a homophobe. Also, I do not hate homosexuals. Do I believe that it is a sin? You better believe it! Do I believe it is genetic? Well, I personnaly do not, but you say there is evidence that it is, and I believe that others have found evidence that it isn't. Also it doesn't really make sense that all of a sudden there are more people whose genes are telling them to be homosexuals than there were a couple hundred years ago(or even 50 years ago) when people believe the Bible. Also, even if it was genetic, there are plenty of former homosexuals that have become Christians and turned away from that life. I would also guess that there are many who have turned away from that life who certainly would not have said that they were bi-sexual(pls forgive if thats not the right word, but I believe it is). Also I think it is interesting to note that many cultures in which homosexuality(or other things that the Bible said were wrong) had become popular either ended or are a shadow of their former selves.
homophobia is the hatered or fear of homosexuals. Congrats at being part of the same religion that creates the majority of the hate against gay people in the united states. Christians also fund by far and away the majority of hate funding designed to make anti gay laws as well. Good job in making them feel bad about themselves even though "god" made them that way. Of course there are more gays today then 50 years ago - same as the fact there are no gays in Iran - they murdered the last one on Tuesday. Good to know places where it is no big deal like china are just a shadow of thier former selves. Was worried china was a super power to challenge even the united states. Lmao.

Racist: ???

Misogynistic: I believe this word means prejudiced between men and women(correct me if I am wrong).

Lets start with facts: are there differences between men and women? Duh.
Are women better at some things than men? Duh.
Are men better at some things than women? Duh.
Are some women better at things that men are usually better at and vice versa? Duh.
Are some women smarter than men and vice versa? Duh.

Now, you like to take what the Bible says are the women's responsibility in the home and say "ah-ha! There is evidence that Christians are sexist!" Well you kinda missed the part where Paul talked about the mans duty in the home. They both have different responsibilities. And when you look at it logically, instead of getting all huffy, in most cases the man is better suited to do what the Bible said a man should do and a woman is better suited for what the Bible says the woman is to do. If you look at the divorce rate from 50-100 years before now, you will find that it was less(or if this isn't true it is only because many people now don't even bother getting married). Also more people followe the Bible then. Coincidence? I think not.
yes if you mean beating the woman into submission while denying them basic rights like owning property (so they have no where to go) denying them jobs (so they can't take care of themsleves) and the right to vote (so they can't create change) then yes they cowered like cornered animals in fear but didn't get a divorce. Now that we have moved past this stone age morality that was the norm in biblical times we have a much healthier population. Coincidence? I think not.

Also I brought this up primarily because a certain person said that attractive women were asking to be raped, that the woman was to blame if a friend or family member raped them, and that it was primarily caused by women drinking. All pretty bad and the sad part was they didn't even realize they were being highly sexist.

Vraelen, I believe you said earlier that if I followed the Bibles way of doin things in a relationship, then good luck with that relationship. Well, my brothers and their wives, when they followed the Bible, have had good marriages. My parents as well. Ask many old couples and I would bet that they would tell you that what they did was similar to what the Bible says.

I also believe it is important to note that Israel, which the Bible says is Gods chosen nation, is, i believe, the only nation in the world that fell completely apart and then, although the odds were so much against them that no Las Vegas gambler would hve backed them, came back together and formed a nation.
Lmafo what? Do you not know history? The united states backed israel and used the might of the army and millitary technology to form and hold the country against its neighbors. To this day in fact. Literally dozens of nations fall apart and then reform. We are watching this right now in eastern europe. You are either being obtuse or lack a grade school level understanding of world history.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|