Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Changing Names

#1
So this is a topic that has been quite active recently in our clan on Epona, an update that allowed players to change their name whenever, maybe like a Barbour token etc. However, many problems would be presented- name scamming would be even more of an issue, there would have to be a different way to identify players (a unique code or something).
Any thoughts from the wise minds of the forums?
JDDT lvl 216 ranger
Rogue10 lvl 100+ rogue

----------
Epona
----------

Evil Clowns are always laughing, haha.

Re: Changing Names

#3
Lifehacks wrote:So this is a topic that has been quite active recently in our clan on Epona, an update that allowed players to change their name whenever, maybe like a Barbour token etc. However, many problems would be presented- name scamming would be even more of an issue, there would have to be a different way to identify players (a unique code or something).
Any thoughts from the wise minds of the forums?


Well, there already is a unique code to identify players, that doesn’t change and is extremely visible....their name :?

I think allowing players to change their name is a bad idea. Celtic Heroes is an extremely social name...everyone is familiar with everyone else’s name, and associates that name with the player...even across multiple characters. Allowing players to change their name means that it will throw off a lot of people....and of course the scamming part of it as well. If I change my rangers name from Eragon123 to something else, anyone else could then change their name to Eragon123 and pretend to be me and whatnot.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: Changing Names

#4
Scammers hiding is the big problem, agreed. Only time I’ve wanted a name change is to change the surname on a couple toons to match the rest of mine.

I made a couple toons to be low-key at times but now I’m regretting it. I wanna make it obvious they’re me, but someone would give the “he got a name change, why not me?” B**chfest argument regardless of the details
http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

Rosmerta - Forever and Proud
222Rogue
114Druid
180+ lock Rogue
180+Mage
110+ ranger
Image

Re: Changing Names

#5
Morganlefay wrote:Scammers hiding is the big problem, agreed. Only time I’ve wanted a name change is to change the surname on a couple toons to match the rest of mine.

I made a couple toons to be low-key at times but now I’m regretting it. I wanna make it obvious they’re me, but someone would give the “he got a name change, why not me?” B**chfest argument regardless of the details

Well my first toon on CH was Warsong back in August 2011. I use that name on like every game I've ever played. I had to move to Songz when I wanted to start a rogue and make that my main in late 2011. I still have Warsong. I kept it just in case there was ever a chance of me doing a name change. It's been almost 8 years of me keeping that random toon for a name change. If we could change it, I'd be all for it.

Problem would be how. The leg work to do all that seems like a lot.
Songz
My song is what you hear before you die. :D
#FixGeleWepSkills
#Getridofspeedcap
#MakeDoTstack

Roll Coal wrote: Your servers amazing and you’re the best person to walk the earth.

Re: Changing Names

#6
Warsong wrote:
Morganlefay wrote:Scammers hiding is the big problem, agreed. Only time I’ve wanted a name change is to change the surname on a couple toons to match the rest of mine.

I made a couple toons to be low-key at times but now I’m regretting it. I wanna make it obvious they’re me, but someone would give the “he got a name change, why not me?” B**chfest argument regardless of the details

Well my first toon on CH was Warsong back in August 2011. I use that name on like every game I've ever played. I had to move to Songz when I wanted to start a rogue and make that my main in late 2011. I still have Warsong. I kept it just in case there was ever a chance of me doing a name change. It's been almost 8 years of me keeping that random toon for a name change. If we could change it, I'd be all for it.

Problem would be how. The leg work to do all that seems like a lot.


Simply changing names is pretty easy I'd guess, it's just text that's associated with the account. Support already does it on occasion...usually if someone puts inappropriate text in their name, Support will change their name to one of the auto generating ones.

I think the whole name-changing suggestion is pretty similar to server transfers....it wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint, but simply is not something that VR wants to do at the moment, possibly because of ways it could be misused and abused.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: Changing Names

#7
Eragon123 wrote:
Warsong wrote:
Morganlefay wrote:Scammers hiding is the big problem, agreed. Only time I’ve wanted a name change is to change the surname on a couple toons to match the rest of mine.

I made a couple toons to be low-key at times but now I’m regretting it. I wanna make it obvious they’re me, but someone would give the “he got a name change, why not me?” B**chfest argument regardless of the details

Well my first toon on CH was Warsong back in August 2011. I use that name on like every game I've ever played. I had to move to Songz when I wanted to start a rogue and make that my main in late 2011. I still have Warsong. I kept it just in case there was ever a chance of me doing a name change. It's been almost 8 years of me keeping that random toon for a name change. If we could change it, I'd be all for it.

Problem would be how. The leg work to do all that seems like a lot.


Simply changing names is pretty easy I'd guess, it's just text that's associated with the account. Support already does it on occasion...usually if someone puts inappropriate text in their name, Support will change their name to one of the auto generating ones.

I think the whole name-changing suggestion is pretty similar to server transfers....it wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint, but simply is not something that VR wants to do at the moment, possibly because of ways it could be misused and abused.

Yeah but it's another big thing that the community has been wanting but VR ignores for stupid content like Spectral mounts lmfao :lol:
Songz
My song is what you hear before you die. :D
#FixGeleWepSkills
#Getridofspeedcap
#MakeDoTstack

Roll Coal wrote: Your servers amazing and you’re the best person to walk the earth.

Re: Changing Names

#8
helpme123 wrote:Well my pops always use to call me a negro until I grew up and one day I asked him why he kept saying it (I’m black mind you) and he said it’s easy to identify you to this day my black uncle still calls me a negro

Beautiful life story
Zkills level 111 warrior, Proud general/last active member of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus.

Zkills, new mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

Re: Changing Names

#9
Warsong wrote:Yeah but it's another big thing that the community has been wanting but VR ignores for stupid content like Spectral mounts lmfao :lol:


VR isn't ignoring it, it's practically impossible to ignore big things that the playerbase is constantly asking for. I can guarantee you that VR is very much aware of what players want, regardless of whether it is loot changes, spawn rate changes, player name changes, server transfers, etc.

However, just because some players think it's a good idea, doesn't mean that VR agrees or wants to do it at the time. Players are free to ask repeatedly for the same things over and over, and just because VR doesn't reply to each and every thread, or the fact that the feature/change is not acted on, doesn't mean the players are being ignored. Most of the time it's simply because VR has already given their standpoint on a specific feature/change, and they don't see the need to reiterate it over and over again.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: Changing Names

#10
helpme123 wrote:Well my pops always use to call me a negro until I grew up and one day I asked him why he kept saying it (I’m black mind you) and he said it’s easy to identify you to this day my black uncle still calls me a negro


Thanks for letting us know
Rogue Level 229+
Playing Since 2011 Yule

"Lol" -Unknown

Clansman of Seed
Turquoise collector ;)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests