Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: So who likes getting scammed? Is it OK these days? Be informed!

Can guarantee that these people do (and have been) banned.

If you submit a ticket detailing the name of the scammer and the person they are impersonating, they (and any accounts linked to the account) will get perma-banned.
This! It's kinda just a leg race at some point. IP and Device bans are not the end-all-be-all solutions. I would wipe them all out if I could. They create a ton of work for us. Each scam is handled case-by-case and often no items are not returned. There are confirmation screens and other ways to tell this isn't the person. Just takes paying a bit of attention.
I have been scammed by a level 1 before, after which I made 104 characters to block future impersonations of my clannies. I strongly suggest you do the same.

The impersonation scam is a huge problem, I see several ways CH can address it:

1. Have an additional confirmation popup of "This player is under level 30, are you sure you wish to trade?". Players tend to be pretty solo until that level.

2. Add a close-name block when creating characters with names similar to level 200+ characters "This name is too similar to an existing high level character": use the number of differing characters and/or the number of "scam swapped" characters (L/i, L/1, i/1, O/0, any two adjacent characters swapped, etc) at the same position. For example "Regenleif" vs. "RegenIeif" (L/i) is 1 character different and has 1 scam swapped character; "Regenlief" is 2 character different and has 2 scam swapped (e and i) -- those are very good indications of a scam! I would say 2- characters different and 1+ scam swapped is sufficient to catch the vast majority of cases.

This would be beneficial in other ways too, legitimate new players trying to make, say, "Collosus" when such a player is already a high level may resort to "CoIIosus" (L/i), which will only cause great and permenent trouble for them, their clans, the original Collosus, and the server later on. This has occurred in several cases on Taranis.
We're going to combine 1 and 2 for a solution. We plan on adding a pop-up that says: "This person is not on your friend list. Are you sure you want to trade?" We'll also be highlighting the level in red and making the font bigger.

You'll still need to pay attention and not just click through the confirmations.

Re: So who likes getting scammed? Is it OK these days? Be informed!

I appreciate the level 1s are annoying, annoying for us to trust me. That said you do have to actively confirm trades twice whilst the name and level of the character you’re trading with is clearly displayed.

...Tadaaah beat me to it.
I'm not a shortcut to support, don't expect a reply to PMs asking about support issues.