Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Target Lock Myth

Did anyone really know how this worked?

For the last 4 years since it was introduced, the CH community believed it was within 20 levels with no penalty, with a 15% minimum damage required to get lock. Lock penalty starts at 21 levels over with +0.5% required damage per level after.

http://www.celtic-heroes.com/forum/view ... hp?t=64016
http://www.celtic-heroes.com/forum/view ... 63#p385546
http://www.celtic-heroes.com/forum/view ... =4&t=33603

Even Bitey's guide which has been reviewed and critiqued more than any other wiki site shows that's how it was:

http://www.celticheroes.info/2015/08/ta ... guide.html

For the most part, I think all of the above were true. Even if OTM admin spread some misinformation:
I would like to start dispelling some of these target lock myths.
Someone 25 levels below you will need only about 1.5 percent less damage than you to get the lock, but you will be doing more damage, so overall this won't make it harder for you to get the event kills than for that person, in fact there's a good chance you will get it more easily as you will be doing more than 1.5 percent extra damage and you will be more likely to get the lock.
Adding more players to the group whatever the level will always help that group get a lock, there is no way to hinder or hurt a group by adding more players.
Both false statements.

However, now from the looks of it, Target Lock has changed to +/- 10 levels only with a minimum of 10% damage required. This means that your level 210 rogues at Mordris are screwed.
I asked OTM, and this is the response I got:
It has always been 10% for up to 10 levels above and this has not changed.
Anyone else believe this? I think OTM Design no longer has anyone from 2013 and I suspect it has been changed recently, like during the December 2016 update when we started noticing this early locks.
I know during beta, and in many older forum discussions, the "10%" was never brought up, I think everyone agreed it was too low, even admin said the initial value was 20%-25%.
We were looking at around 20-25% initially, but this can be refined during beta with feedback from the beta players.
Rockhide used to be at least a 15-20 second battle. Now it locks instantly especially with critical skills in the picture. 10% is just too trivial.

But it amazes me that everyone in the community has been wrong for the past 4 years. I just find that far too difficult to believe. I know OTM doesn't like to give out numbers but thousands of players can't be wrong for so long.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

Re: Target Lock Myth

Tbh I thought everyone always knew it was 10%, at least that's what everyone knew on Sulis. As for the level different, I believe everyone thought it's +20 levels before a penalty... there really isn't a way to get exact numbers and OTM won't release them...
“Brevity is the soul of wit.”

"If you are within 10 levels above or below the mob, including the 10th there is no penalty and you lock at 10% damage. For each level beyond that you get a 0.5% penalty so if you are 40 levels over the boss it's 10% plus 30x05 or 15% so you need 25% to lock. Group lock is calculated as follows: Each player has a % locked value for damage dealt. This is 100% when you would lock solo so its 100% locked at 10% damaged within 10 levels-+ and 100% locked at 25% damage for 40 level over. You add up your whole group % locked and when the group total equals 100% your group locks the boss. Therefore in groups there is no penalty for a high level in a low level party, they just don't add as much to the % locked directly. The % the boss locks at will always be between the lowest  and the highest % group members would lock solo, the exact number based on when the % locked hits 100% and lock occurs."

So this is maybe correct description?
(I edited numbers in goodies guide)
YouTube: MrScar Celtic Heroes

MrScar
Incendo
Surculus
Scariino

Concordiia, Donn - 25th aug, 2015
Concruiit 25th april, 2017
------------------------------------------------

Tbh I thought everyone always knew it was 10%, at least that's what everyone knew on Sulis. As for the level different, I believe everyone thought it's +20 levels before a penalty... there really isn't a way to get exact numbers and OTM won't release them...
This is a quote from Admin on May 27, 2013:
The lock percentage is the same for everyone within +- 20 levels of the enemy, so the above groups will have had an exactly even chance same as pre-expansion. After that it reduces very very gradually until +- 200 levels, so overall a high level will still have an advantage since they do more damage, the lock is just a small factor to give people who genuinely need a drop *some* chance to get the loot if they got to the boss first.
Even he says it's the same for those within 20 levels. But apparently that's not what OTM is saying now.

Perhaps OTM thought u cant find old posts. Nonetheless, I highly believe it was 20 lvls and 15% before and has changed to 10 lvls but havent checked if its 10% (makes sense tho).
#NerfMages #AvoidBalance #WhyPlayARogue #MeatShieldOnly #HealingSlavesOnly

OP dps warrior on Belenus, hot af melee druid on Nuada. #Elementals #Apex

This is a quote from Admin on May 27, 2013:
The lock percentage is the same for everyone within +- 20 levels of the enemy, so the above groups will have had an exactly even chance same as pre-expansion. After that it reduces very very gradually until +- 200 levels, so overall a high level will still have an advantage since they do more damage, the lock is just a small factor to give people who genuinely need a drop *some* chance to get the loot if they got to the boss first.
I'd much prefer this over the current lock. It's a more rational approach.
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)

We were looking at around 20-25% initially, but this can be refined during beta with feedback from the beta players.
After reviewing the topic with Eochaid, our longest standing member of Design (Who has been here since the game was made). He confirmed that since 2014 the values of Target Lock have not been adjusted.

We have also checked the database from Pre Destiny Update and the target lock values match that of the current database.

However we are taking this topic under consideration for further discussion later on.

A lot of people were against target lock. But when it was apparent it was going to get implemented, pretty confident majority of the beta testers did not opt for a short and quick lock battle and chose 10% over 20-25%. Or even would select 10 level difference over 20. That's a pretty huge difference. I was in Update 4 beta and lock didnt occur at 10%. Even beta testers posted it was around 15-20%. You guys need to check with someone who worked on Update 4: Dragonfire, released May 6, 2013. Maybe even ask Richard.

The quote from Admin about the 20 level cutoff is from May 27, 2013. 2 weeks after Update 4 was released. You're telling us he was lying the whole time?

Eochaid has been here since Update 4 and prior, we have also examined a 4 year old database providing the 10 level figure.

In all likelihood he quoted incorrect values by accident or was referring to values when Target Lock was still being adjusted.

This was over 4 years ago at this point.

I suppose Bitey's Guide had it wrong all these years. Not to mention player experience between 2013-2016.

It's really quite baffling the initial 20-25% was changed to 10%. No time in Beta 4 that it was ever brought up that "mobs took too long to lock". In fact quite the opposite, I wish we still has access to old beta posts.