Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Human cost (and gain!) of Celtic Heroes

There's a real human gain and a real human cost to a wholehearted and true relationship with an MMO game, especially such an engaging one as Celtic Heroes.

As I only play Rosmerta, let me talk of what I know.

The clan war on Rosmerta means every boss is killed on spawn without exception. We used to schedule raids so they'd be at convenient times; we used to put in raids for European hours, US (sometimes early for Atlantic, sometimes later for Pacific) and Apac.

Now we log around the clock. People stop their cars, step out of the office, wake to alarms in the small hours of the morning, and put real life aside to serve their clans. And they do so gladly! Because it's not just a game. It's a community. For some a home. For many, Rosmerta is a big part of their lives.

And there's one thing that unites us, across the clan divide

Picture the scene...

Emergency reset! Band, line, pal, roar into life. Phones ring urgently, texts ping. Champion boxers (*) around the world put their lives down to answer the call. Lock groups are built. Forces assessed. Targets determined. Inspiring speeches given. And ... it's cancelled.

For those who have lost a night's sleep, or took long coffee breaks and annoyed their boss, put another dent in the marriage or walked off a trading floor for two hours in what turned out to be a very expensive break, there's only one thing to do. Reach out to your opponents, shake hands and unite in the one thing that we share, that brings us together! A deep sincere and genuine frustration at cancelled resets.

Good luck tomorrow all who play.

Rosmerta Forever!

(*) "boxer" is Rosmerta dialect for someone who logs multiple devices - typically 3-5 or more - concurrently.

Re: Human cost (and gain!) of Celtic Heroes

That is a pretty accurate account of the life of an endgame CH player. I do wish OTM takes their customers more seriously and with respect.
What does your signature mean? Those who crave closure...... ? wat is it :thinking:
He didn't finish what the second type is. So if you are wondering who the second type of people are you are one of those who crave closure.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

For those who have lost a night's sleep, or took long coffee breaks and annoyed their boss, put another dent in the marriage or walked off a trading floor for two hours in what turned out to be a very expensive break, there's only one thing to do.
Lost sleep - check
Dented marriage - check
Walked off the trading floor - ??!?

That last one is oddly specific. If some floor trader walked off for two hours to raid a boss something is wrong lol. I like CH, make small sacrifices, but walking off a professional job for 2 hours; that's something they probably need to see a therapist about.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

Having been there and done most of those, there's a number of those I regret and won't do anymore. I remember faking being sick at a festival so I could hide out in my car to attend a mord raid. I don't remember what dropped but I remember lying to my family and ending up ruining their afternoon. And other cancellations that resulted in the disappointment of friends and family. And it's not worth it.

What I won't do anymore is cancel family plans for a video game. I won't cancel or put off sporting events or competitions I'm involved in for a video game. When my children want to go out and fly a kite or get on the swings, video games go off. I won't wake up in the middle of the night if I have to be at work the next day for a video game. I will not skip going to the gym for a video game...i will get my reps in, necto can wait. And etc

If you're willing to cause your spouse stress or inconsideration because of a video game then your priorities are way off. If you're willing to get reprimanded at work or take a chance on getting fired or written up over a video game then your priorities are way off.
Zyz 220 Druid
Noah Fences 220 Rogue

Pretty much spot on.

However if you are married, and doubly so happen to have a wife, you are going to have some stress and "inconsiderate" behavior no matter what you do. That's a typical healthy marriage. The key is to not overdo it for a video game.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

Having been there and done most of those, there's a number of those I regret and won't do anymore. I remember faking being sick at a festival so I could hide out in my car to attend a mord raid. I don't remember what dropped but I remember lying to my family and ending up ruining their afternoon. And other cancellations that resulted in the disappointment of friends and family. And it's not worth it.

What I won't do anymore is cancel family plans for a video game. I won't cancel or put off sporting events or competitions I'm involved in for a video game. When my children want to go out and fly a kite or get on the swings, video games go off. I won't wake up in the middle of the night if I have to be at work the next day for a video game. I will not skip going to the gym for a video game...i will get my reps in, necto can wait. And etc

If you're willing to cause your spouse stress or inconsideration because of a video game then your priorities are way off. If you're willing to get reprimanded at work or take a chance on getting fired or written up over a video game then your priorities are way off.
Very GOOD points Zyz!

In the end CH is just a video game and the way OTM designs the game it has a negative impact on family, friends and work.

I feel bad for not being there 100% of the time for my clan because of the requirements of end game in CH. It takes away from the good aspects this game has to offer.

Other threads have offered many suggestions for changes. Here is me hoping things get better :)
A n e x a n d e r
Ranger of Avalon
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid.