Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

A Short Guide to Good performance on old devices

So, you have an old device like an IPad 2 or IPhone 4s? It lags and is almost unplayable while trying to run this game?

Then you should probably utilise some performance tweaks available via the Cydia app obtained through jaikbreaking. Please remember, jaikbreaking a device is fine and perfectly legal, however stealing content through it is not. It will also void your warranty if you take a jailbroken device to Apple.

So to start, download the jailbreak tool corresponding with your version of IOS. Follow the onscreen instructions to jailbreak the device which almost always happens flawlessly, however it doesn't hurt to back up your device which many of the programs automatically do anyway, including the only jailbreak for IOS 9.

Once you have jailbroken the device, go to the Cydia app and download the following tweaks:
Nitrous - this is the main one to speed up the device
FakeClockUp - this increases the speed of animations on the device, including the speed of the keyboard opening (A major problem on older devices)
ICleaner (Pro) - this frees up RAM on the device to enhance the game's performance. RAM is the main limitation of iOS devices running this game.

These 3 alone make the game's performance hugely improve, I went from not being able to open the keyboard with default characters on to turning the setting off an having no onscreen lag and improved framerates. In truth, tweaks through Cydia will improve the performance far more effectively than any patches that OTM will put out. There are many other tweaks available that will improve performance such as lower RAM usage keyboards!

Good luck to anyone who decides to jailbreak an old device! The performance benefits are insane!
“Brevity is the soul of wit.”

Re: A Short Guide to Good performance on old devices

I'd agree with not updating the iOS to the next version, I.e. from iOS 8 to iOS 9, as those contain optimizations for new hardware, but the updates to the same version, iOS 8.1.3 to 8.1.4 are fine as they contain patches, security updates, etc. and does not effect which hardware configuration the software was designed for.
This is quite correct. However the downside is those patches often include vulnerability patches so you can't jailbreak your device (or so that malware can't exploit them). So make sure you have an idea what you want to do, apple does their very best to stop you from downgrading your iOS.

I'll also add that the vast majority of malware (so far 100%) and personal information theft on idevices occurs through jailbroken iOS and software not found on iTunes. So its best to never enter any bank or other important usernames/passwords or credit apple info at any time for any reason.

Apple may use your personal info for marketing and profit but at least they wont wipe your bank account and max your apples out.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

Hey guys! iPad 2 user here! I have had this iPad for about 4-5 years now and just did what Robert suggested.

Before Jailbreak modifications:
- Default characters ON
- Fast Terrain ON (Mandatory as per device)
- Fast Graphics ON
- Very frame-y and laggy
- Pulling up chat keyboard takes about 2-3 seconds
- Loading game takes a while
- Traveling between leystones and zones takes a while.

After Jailbreak modifications:
- Default characters OFF
- Fast Terrain ON (Mandatory as per device)
- Fast Graphics OFF
- Runs smoothly
- Pulling up chat keyboard takes about 0.5-1 seconds
- Loading game takes medium time
- Traveling between leystones and zones is normal and quick.

Do these modifications turn your performance into that of an iPad Air 2 or an iPhone 6? No. HOWEVER, the help TREMENDOUSLY and grant a smooth gameplay experience without jeopardizing nice graphics.
I HIGHLY recommend this guide to ANYONE experiencing slow and laggy performance!

Side Notes:
- Jailbreak
A good jailbreak software to use is Pangu, you can find it here: http://en.pangu.io/
It is easy, safe (from my experience) and well working.

- Tweaks and sources
The three programs Robert names - known as tweaks - can only be obtained in any circumstance through the source: http://repo.insanelyi.com/
Go to the link to figure out how to add it to your cydia sources. Once you have added it, you may search for the 3 tweaks listed. Please make sure that as you search for the tweaks, you are installing the one from the insanelyi source and not the tweaks from other sources. You will be able to confirm you are installing the tweaks from the correct source by searching for the tweaks, CLICKING THE ACTUAL SEARCH BUTTON, and then referring to the source listed under the tweak!

I hope this works for you just as well as it worked for myself! Robert was very kind to provide me with help through this process. Now that I understand it completely, I offer my private inbox to anyone having issues with this process and I will do my best to help them.
Gwydion - Xei - Warrior - 215
Taranis - Iridescence - Rogue - 225

Just want to make the game better.

Mostly its a memory problem that OTM can address, but who knows when.

If you double tap the home button, close CH, then hold the top button down and swipe off your device, restart it after it shuts down and open ch again you can make your iPhone 4S or even your iPad air 2 run much better.

Doing this my iPhone 4S loads the game and maps medium fast and I can open up the chat in .5-1s. Framerates are very smooth and I can avoid crashing almost completely. Even my iPad air 2 crashes if i dont do this at least daily. You may want to try this first but it does get annoying restarting your device twice a day.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|