Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Skill cast time and its affect on autos - A discussion

Wanted to start a discussion regarding skill cast times. Firstly, how these cast times affect auto attacks, and secondarily, what the specific cast times are.
As none of the cast times are specifically listed in skill descriptions (as far as i know), i am curious if anyone has done any controlled testing to try to determine these.

For the purposes of discussion, I included some known information to prevent the need for others to point this information out in the course of the discussion.

Known information
  • Terms:
    Skill cast time: The time it takes to cast a skill (I'm insulting your intelligence, I know)
    Weapon delay: This is listed as "weapon speed" in the mainhand weapon description

Other known information: Some skills are instant-cast, such as quickstrike and shadowstrike (at least virtually).
Unknown information

Q1: Is it true that a skill's cast time interrupts auto attacks?
  • If so, is this true of all skills with a cast time, or are there any known exceptions?
    I know someone that is convinced that Double Attack does not interrupt any auto attacks. He says he has tested this with a timer.
Q2: What are the cast times of Sneaky Attack, Double Attack, and other skills that are not instant-cast?
  • Maybe someone has already done some careful testing to try to determine this information for different skills.

As an example. . .
    Sneaky Attack cast time = [Equipped Weapon Delay] + X
    X = ?

The description for Sneaky Attack says it adds the dmg and delay of the equipped weapon, so clearly the cast time is at least equal to the listed weapon speed (weapon delay). But I am not sure if additional time is added.
Kril - Chief Editor, The Dal Riata Enquirer
lev 228 Rogue - Gwydion

Clan Relentless

Give a man a flame, you warm him for a day.
Set a man aflame, you warm him for the rest of his life.

Re: Skill cast time and its affect on autos - A discussion

Also interests me. We know quickstrike is completely free dmg, but unsure of ss. What about instant casts that ARENT dmg skills or direct dmg skills? Riposte, warcry, shield wall and so on. Also, when a skill is casted (when it says for example Sneaky Attack succeeded), does it restart the timer of an auto? If I casted it mid auto attack, and it interrupted it, does the auto timer restart and it takes the same speed u have to land another auto attack? Or is the time between a skill being casted and another auto is different?
If visually there is a delay, how does it effect the dmg done? And so on.

Great discussion, cast time is more important than it seems, its the main reason (along with horrible fluctuation towards minimum dmg) I hate Giant Swing.
#NerfMages #AvoidBalance #WhyPlayARogue #MeatShieldOnly #HealingSlavesOnly

OP dps warrior on Belenus, hot af melee druid on Nuada. #Elementals #Apex

Also, when a skill is casted (when it says for example Sneaky Attack succeeded), does it restart the timer of an auto? If I casted it mid auto attack, and it interrupted it, does the auto timer restart and it takes the same speed u have to land another auto attack? Or is the time between a skill being casted and another auto is different?
I am curious about this also. I am hoping some people have already done some testing to try to discover the answer to these questions.
If not, maybe this thread can at least discuss how to effectively test these things.
Kril - Chief Editor, The Dal Riata Enquirer
lev 228 Rogue - Gwydion

Clan Relentless

Give a man a flame, you warm him for a day.
Set a man aflame, you warm him for the rest of his life.

Also, when a skill is casted (when it says for example Sneaky Attack succeeded), does it restart the timer of an auto? If I casted it mid auto attack, and it interrupted it, does the auto timer restart and it takes the same speed u have to land another auto attack? Or is the time between a skill being casted and another auto is different?
I am curious about this also. I am hoping some people have already done some testing to try to discover the answer to these questions.
If not, maybe this thread can at least discuss how to effectively test these things.
When you cast a skill it counts as a attack, making you wait the weapons speed time before attacking again. The timer starts as soon as you see the skill succeeded in text. I've tested this with ymir weapons before, its the easiest to see with them.
World - Lugh
Furyion - 192 Ice Mage
Stonelord - 100 PvP Warrior
Lavalord - 60 PvP Warrior
Keepin' it old school.
Do you like Celtic Heroes? Join the Official Unofficial Discord today!
https://discord.gg/mPHnzmr

Awesome question! Most of the hypotheticals you present sound rogue related. Im a ranger myself and i have notice that after a dbl shot an auto dmg number will materialize above the mob as though it was instantaneous. So i can see how your friend swears by it, because that is my experience a well. However, im never certain because idk if im lagging or something of the like. I look forward to hearing ppls responses, i for one have always hated the whole bolas longshot entangle graphic issues. While it is a different topic, i think they relate in that its be hard to know for sure as what actually happening and what is on screen can be different

I have tested this over and over and I find the autos are not interrupted. It has been hard to test until tower update and the practice dummies in tower are the test subjects. SS, QS, Dbl, Sneak none of them I have found to interrupt auto. It appears as though it may be missed as the graphic delay throws it off and the auto is seen immediately following the skill dmg. It's only a graphic delay and the dmg still happens in the correct timing as watching with the next auto.
Measuring autos in a metronome beat u will see; auto...auto... Skill, auto... Auto
The autos are all still in beat with exception to the one attached with the skill, the auto still happens and is not missed, you just don't see it till after the skill graphic. The skill graphic actually stops and prevents you from seeing any dmg till its done. It is especially noticeable when u kill using a skill like assassinate an the auto comes immediately after as the graphic death happens before the dmg shows.
I do have snaps of the skill,auto if want to see Line me, will try to get the ss of them posted later, or run the tests yourself. Remember this test is vulnerable to latency, and also to your attack being to low... My attack for the testing was 4.2k to 5.2k, using mordi spear, and frost iron dagger. Also tested ranger test was with bow of despoiler and no hastes. I still need to complete testing with hastes, but been impossible to catch for screen shot.
I am old and Cranky, Don’t mess with me

Mr Drak
Draknocht 223 rogue
Drakolas 223 ranger
Halefire 222 mage
Bombshell Betty 223 warrior
Lelelia 173 druid
And many many more

Two important things to note:

1)A skill has a cast time and a cool down time. The animations often dont line up well. It's likely only the cast time that matters.

2)animations are notoriously bad and do not reflect actual gameplay mechanics. What counts is the numbers above the mob or boss head. Those numbers can be displaced in time when you view them - none may appear then a burst of 3-4.

Between these two it's very hard to determine based on one skill and a few autos. Lag plays a big factor.

Also for some skills you won't see the damage, for example i don't see the explosive arrow damage on mobs my ranger does. Only the ranger sees it. So watching someone else is even harder as much of the damage may be unreported.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|