Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Ruminations on Competition

Ruminations on the origins and perpetuation of competition, gameplay and emotional impact..

game
gām/
noun
noun: game; plural noun: games
a form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

synonyms:
pastime, diversion, entertainment, amusement, distraction, divertissement, recreation, sport, activity Mores

Old English: Gamen - Amusement, Fun

At what point does competiton lead to anger, rivalries, dislike...?
"Healthy competition encourages everyone involved to push themselves harder than they would have without competition, and as a result they achieve more personal or professional growth whether they won or lost. Healthy competition expands the boundaries of what you believed was possible for yourself. And it encourages you to admit to others that you’re ambitious.

Unhealthy competition is when your reaction to others’ success is negative, rather than inspiring and motivating to you. Unhealthy competition is where you hope others have limitations because you are afraid your limitations will cause you to lose unless they are somehow held back. Unhealthy competition is where you associate shame with losing rather than see your own nobility for trying." - Ivory Madison
Why does there seem to be so much negative competition in CH? Does it originate from the player base? Is it the game setup due to the limited nature of gear and amount of players vying for it?

Beyond negative competition, I see so much hatred and anger vented towards others perpetuated by the competitive environment. It bothers me personally, because at times I feel myself being dragged into this spiral of frustration, whether personal frustration or from being a listening ear to the frustration of others.

I feel this analogy goes far to explain why there are so many tensions...
"Water conflict is a term describing a conflict between countries, states, or groups over an access to water resources. The United Nations recognizes that water disputes result from opposing interests of water users, public or private.
A wide range of water conflicts appear throughout history, though rarely are traditional wars waged over water alone. Instead, water has historically been a source of tension and a factor in conflicts that start for other reasons. However, water conflicts arise for several reasons, including territorial disputes, a fight for resources, and strategic advantage.
These conflicts occur over both freshwater and saltwater, and between international boundaries. However, conflicts occur mostly over freshwater; because freshwater resources are necessary, yet limited, they are the center of water disputes arising out of need for potable water. As freshwater is a vital, yet unevenly distributed natural resource, its availability often impacts the living and economic conditions of a country or region. The lack of cost-effective water desalination techniques in areas like the Middle East, among other elements of water crises can put severe pressures on all water users, whether corporate, government, or individual, leading to tension, and possibly aggression." - Wikipedia
Celtic Heroes' clans, groups and alliances are like their own little countries, some are self sustaining, others rely on outside sources to supplement them in times of need. Each have their own distinct identities and characteristics...policies for immigration/emigration. Meant to emulate Celtic clans, they have their own politics and rivalries.

Items, drops and resources in game are like freshwater. Everyone needs them, but suppies are limited and take a long time to recover when they are used up especially the more specialized 'supplies' you need. Whether this be dragonlord, killain, event bosses, you name it. Clans fight over necessary resources causing tension, sometimes even war. There becomes pressure, stress, planning, coordination, competition.

When does that competition become unhealthy? This is a game (refer back to above definition) they were originally meant to be fun. Fun does not mean there is a lack of competition, but when competition leads to the same stress and tension that has caused warfare over limited resources in reality, where is the fun? While it remains a game, there is an air of visciousness, distrust and greed that perpetuates it. Many people who could be friends, with friendly competition otherwise are forced to pit themselves against each other. The true challege becomes who can stand the anxiety of the mistrust and anger long enough that the others leave these 'resources' alone.

Within these communities, clans, there are different environments. Some caring, some indifferent, some powerhungry. The 'good' ones, that truly look out for their members' interests, tend to be drawn into this cycle. In order to take care of their friends and clanmates, they must at some point get a hold of resources that another not within their circle will need as well. There is the inherent basis of competition.

Other posts
http://celtic-heroes.com/forum/viewtopi ... 45&t=51789
have calculated the time it would take, under ideal circumstances, for everyone who has spent time hunting for these 'resources' to gain what they have set out for. Considering some people become impatient waiting for a red stop light to turn green, or for a slow driver to make a turn, imagine the anger that comes when people play a game (remember definition) only to have it turn into a twisted version of tensions and tendencies present in people's lives.

Polarization.

As people are forced to take sides in order to realistically meet goals, polarization occurs. Tensions mentioned above are magnified the longer people see the same people over and over doing the same things, to no end. Grudges become long lasting, and people influence others with these grudges and options furthering said polarization.

Perhaps I'm overexaggerating the issue, but the more negativity I see and read, the more evident it becomes that this is occuring at least on a minor scale if not major. While it may not cover every incident, and I've seen many acts of generosity, it seems people are constantly fighting this pull even in those instances.

I myself have no solution to this, even though I see it in action. It upsets me at times, and I wish I could settle these 'resource disputes' to the happiness of all involved. Competition is fun, and even exciting, but anger causes anxiety and hurt.

This is not a plea to end all competition and rivalry, merely an expression of my state of mind and feelings on this issue at hand. Nor has it been edited or reviewed. To all who have read this, adieu.
World: Epona

Alyssandra Ranger Lvl 221
Atropos Druid Lvl 225
Nyssa Rogue Lvl 215
Briar Rose Mage Lvl 215

Lasciel Rogue Lvl 217
Owl Ranger Lvl 190
Lenore Druid Lvl 191

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Re: Ruminations on Competition

Have many hobbies, a job and a life...simply a perspective from someone who is frustrated with many things people have said but not put into words in this way. You can agree or disagree, make judgements on me from what I've said, but it simply is what it is.
World: Epona

Alyssandra Ranger Lvl 221
Atropos Druid Lvl 225
Nyssa Rogue Lvl 215
Briar Rose Mage Lvl 215

Lasciel Rogue Lvl 217
Owl Ranger Lvl 190
Lenore Druid Lvl 191

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

All we need is one developer who actually plays the game as other players do, and would realize how a lot of aspects in this game are broken. I wonder if anyone of them can actually level to 190, get in a clan and get full dragonlord in a year. They only need to play like 2-3 hours a day, like the average player probably does, and see how "wonderful and friendly" their game is.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

All we need is one developer who actually plays the game as other players do, and would realize how a lot of aspects in this game are broken. I wonder if anyone of them can actually level to 190, get in a clan and get full dragonlord in a year. They only need to play like 2-3 hours a day, like the average player probably does, and see how "wonderful and friendly" their game is.
I found you a job.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Ranger since Winter Event 2011
222 in Danu