Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: The Dark Portal Trilogy: Book 1 - The Gathering Storm

Davian kept to the shadows at the edge of the room, carefully picking his way over bleached femurs and stray humeri. Although the piles of bones offered ample hiding spots to creep into the room, it was difficult to proceed without snapping an errant bone underfoot and alerting the guards. It was unnerving the way they stood motionless, barely seeming to breathe. Thankfully, Davian could see Jowan’s chest rising and falling as he sagged limply in his seat, bound to a rickety wooden chair. Davian gauged the distance from his position to the guards, as he pulled a small vial of poison from his belt and unstopped it with his teeth. Davian never took his eyes off the captors as he applied the poison to his dagger, for fear that they might discover his hiding spot. The poison, harvested from the spiders of Carrowmore, would slowly sap the life from whomever is afflicted by its affects. Davian was hoping that this would be his edge in defeating the hulking monsters in black robes that flanked his friend.

Silently, Davian lept from the shadows to quickly strike his opponent. To the untrained eye, Davian seemed to appear out of nowhere at his targets side. A slash to the guard's back was enough to apply the poison, but not enough to subdue him. As the second guard drew his sword to attack, Davian threw a smoke bomb at him. Blinded, the second guard staggered through the smoke, leaving Davian to deal with his original target.

The wounded monster of a man charged at him bellowing with fury. Davian tumbled to the right, out of the way of the sudden attack, his dagger clattering to the floor. Falling through the air, Davian sprawled onto a pile of ancient bones with an audible crunch. "Ahhh!" Davian yelled as he hastily scrambled away from the grinning skull that was inches from his face. Seated on the cave floor he turned to see his adversary slowly advance on him with a fanged grin. The midnight black robes filled Davian's vision, except for one thing.

Davian's fall dislodged the broken shaft of a spear. Davian grasped it and sprung to his feet, the spearhead leveled at his target and glinting softly in the torchlight. The guard slashed savagely at Davian, and he turned the blow away with the shaft of his spear. Another attack came quickly, and Davain barely avoided this blow. But he now had is opening. With a lunge, Davain thrust his spear at his attacker. The blow tore through his robes, skewering him, and pinning him to the floor. Unable to move, the guard roared in anger, as the other guard continued to stagger about the cave. There wasnt much time left.

Davian collected his dagger from the floor, and rushed to his friend's side to sever the bonds that held him.
"It's you! I knew you would come!" Jowan rejoiced as he rubbed his wrists from where the rope had been biting his flesh.

"No time for reunions now. We have to get out of here!"

"You can say that again.." How an pointed to the two guards. The smoke had worn off and the second guard was approaching. The first guard violently snapped the spear shaft that pinned his robe to the floor. Both advanced with obsidian blades drawn.

"Lets get out of here!" Shouted Davian, as he turne to escape the cavern. But the passage was blocked. The ensuing battle must have alerted others, for there were now ten blackstone guards crowded in the entrance to the cave, and banging slowly to flank them and form a ring around the two Wardens.

"Umm... Do you have a plan B?" Asked Jowan nervously.

"That was plan B!" Replied Davian frantically.

The ring of Blackstone guards closed around the two Wardens, sealing their fate. "It was good knowing you buddy," Jowan said with a resigned tone. He closed his eyes.
When he opened them, he was outside of the room, far into the cave's passageway with Davian at his side. "What just happened?"

"Well.." Said a voice behind them, and the Wardens both turned to see Falgren. " I saw you were in trouble, and i needed t' rescue you. I closed my eyes and thought of you being over here and not in th' room. Next thing i knew, you were rescued!"
Davian's mouth was agape. He had never heard of anyone possessing power to do what Falgren just did. "That's great but i think they are starting to realize what happened," Jowan exclaimed pointing at the guards who were once again alerted to their presence.

"Lets get out of here! Follow me!" Davian turned and ran back the way he had come, with Jowan following close behind and Falgren trailing with the torch. The glowing stones left by the Morrigan continued to shine the way to the exit, as the trio sprinted by them. Gutteral yells and howls hounded them as the Blackstone guards chased them to the exit. The tunnels twisted and turned in seemingly impossible angles. Davian placed his trust in the Morrigan's stones, that they would lead him and his friends safely back to the Tavern exit. They scrambled around the next turn, and rejoiced as they reached the exit. Davain hauled open the massive slabs of oak as they clambered through to safety. Jowan and Davian shoved the doors closed as the guards rounded the corner with a shout of alarm. The doors closed with a boom, and Falgren secured the chain with the lock just as they heard fists hammering on the other side of the door. Suddenly, the pounding stopped and all went silent.

"We're safe," gasped Davian finally catching his breath. "They won't touch us here. Not in a place as public as the tavern."

"We've won!" Shouted Falgren.

"For now we have. Come, we need to inform the Council of what just happened. Lets get upstairs and into the sunlight. I dont think ill be going into the dark any time soon."
Last edited by Bitey on Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YouTube | Mystery Chest Simulator | Cooking Guide | Legacy Boss Guide

Re: The Dark Portal Trilogy: Book 1 - The Gathering Storm

"...and we closed the door to the tunnels, and came directly to see you." Davian finished.

The entire Council of all six Wardens stayed silent. Warm daylight streamed in through the white stone windows of the Temple of Belenus, contrasting the icy reception of the news by the Council. Warden Gawain stared at Davian over tented fingers, Warden Madoc’s eyes shifted back and forth as if to gauge his companion’s reactions.

Warden Aramiss stood and spoke first. "So because the Council recommended patience and chose to evaluate the situation, you thought it wise to rush off and not only endanger your life and the life of a fellow Warden, but to endanger the life of a child as well?"

"No... That’s not what I meant to do..." stammered Davian.

"And in the process of risking these innocent lives, you led the Blackstone Cabal directly to our doorstep in Lir’s Reach?"

"Well... Actually..."

"And I suppose you obtained no information about this 'Marwolaeth' ?”

Davian went silent, as Jowan and Falgren stood by looking uncomfortable at the exchange taking place in front of them.

"Enough!" thundered Aramiss. "You have acted rashly and have directly defied the Council of Wardens. You have brought irreparable harm to us with this stunt. You are dismissed to your quarters until your punishment is decided."

"As you wish… Your grace," Davian said icily through gritted teeth, as he turned on his heel and stormed out of the council chamber.

"That boy lacks patience.” Aramiss shook his head. “I hope his training has not been a failure," Aramiss lamented. "Warden Jowan, step forward. How fare you?"

"I’m a bit weary sir. The last few days have been hard."

"That is understandable, given all that has taken place. I will not delay you any further. Please accompany Warden Galwyn to the healers.” Aramiss nodded toward the exit.” Our druids there will tend to your wounds."

"Thank you sir," said Jowan wearily as he slowly made his way to join the Warden waiting for him at the temple door.

"Falgren," stated Warden Aramiss as he rose from his seat. Falgren scuffed his feet apprehensively as he awaited his fate. "You are to accompany Warden Madoc to properly complete your assessment. You will also attempt to reproduce this 'Rescue' spell that you have found. "

Warden Madoc rose from his seat, and strode to the boy's side. Madoc put a hand on Falgren's shoulder, as the pair walked into the blinding sunlight streaming through the doorway. "Come, my boy. I anticipate great things in your future." The door closed behind them.
Last edited by Bitey on Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YouTube | Mystery Chest Simulator | Cooking Guide | Legacy Boss Guide