Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: What's OTM's policy on guessing passwords?

I thought everybody else uses
Username: admin
Password: Password
Thats how I even secure my banking.....oh shi....
LMAO my mom always used "password" as her password. for everthing. PC, Email, everything. Then I saw that and I'm like "MOM! NO! YOU CANT DO THAT!" She was like "why not? its easier this way!" Then I made her change all her passwords. THEN she had a bunch of different ones, and couldnt remember em so(get this) she put a post-it-note on her computer with all her passwords. to everthing. yeah.

:roll: old people :roll:
May I suggest a different colour for your posts? Green is pretty annoying to read:L
:/ looks fine on my computer
Nighthawk - Lvl 130 ranger
Morrigan
no longer playing. Miss you guys.

LMAO my mom always used "password" as her password. for everthing. PC, Email, everything. Then I saw that and I'm like "MOM! NO! YOU CANT DO THAT!" She was like "why not? its easier this way!" Then I made her change all her passwords. THEN she had a bunch of different ones, and couldnt remember em so(get this) she put a post-it-note on her computer with all her passwords. to everthing. yeah.

:roll: old people :roll:
May I suggest a different colour for your posts? Green is pretty annoying to read:L
It's readable, but when it's a paragraph it makes me... not want to read it... Lol. It's just annoying and kind of an eyesore:/ Sorry!

@Teaweasel, I understand that you have a certain style of getting your point across, but calling people stupid and naive can offend. I've left it because it's the OP's friend and not the OP, but please try to reword what you attempt to say in the future. If the OP states that they are offended or that it will/has offended their friend, then I may edit your post. :)

Regarding the comments since I posted, I agree that people should make secure passwords, but you can't control what everyone does. This means that if it is possible to implement some sort of system, then there's nothing to lose really.
I never get offended my Mr Weasle.

I think what I am saying is that, as Fromen said, they should maybe implement a 3 attempt policy on passwords. After 3 attempts the account is suspended and you get emailed to tell you.
And the stuff I lost is easily replaceable with a bit of cash and I know the lost items are my own fault for the lending policy

But we need to stop the aability to guess 1,000,000 times a password
D0nk0 Lvl143 warrior
D1nk1 lvl90 druid (retired)
D2nk2 lvl70 ranger (retired)
D3nk3 lvl128 druid (dual log)
D4nk4 Lvl142 ranger (tri log)
D6nk6 lvl80 mage (retired)

General of PRIME
Proud owner of 2 full darkflame sets

D5nk5 lvl85 rogue (arawn)

I think what I am saying is that, as Fromen said, they should maybe implement a 3 attempt policy on passwords. After 3 attempts the account is suspended and you get emailed to tell you.
I think that is a bad idea, because most people have there character name the same as there username, and I know I wouldn't want to reset my password everytime some noob decides to guess my password..
just as they have all said before, just make a hard password and keep your account info to yourself
and 3 attemps is not enough because sometimes I use different passwords for all of my accounts

t(-.-t)
Barrack Hussein Obama t(-.-t) Barrack Hussein Obama t(-.-t)

You do know there is an option to reset your password to a random one, then change it yourself afterwards.
You can do this if you forget.

Also if i find that a username is already taken, I have unlimited guesses at your password and could probably hook my ipad up to a computer program and let it imputation unlimited guesses for me.
D0nk0 Lvl143 warrior
D1nk1 lvl90 druid (retired)
D2nk2 lvl70 ranger (retired)
D3nk3 lvl128 druid (dual log)
D4nk4 Lvl142 ranger (tri log)
D6nk6 lvl80 mage (retired)

General of PRIME
Proud owner of 2 full darkflame sets

D5nk5 lvl85 rogue (arawn)

Yes as it stands you can use a computer program called a brute forcer to "guess" passwords for you. As long as you know the user name almost anyone can be hacked. Some older (naive) players probably have their username the same as their mains name or close and it would not be hard from then to brute force their password as long as it is either a common one, a name, a proper noun, or something found in the dictionary. If your current password is any of those, change it now.

Now, I don't know too many people who have the capability of using a brute forcer designed to guess CH passwords utilizing a iPod/iPhone screen viewer who would even care enough to target CH accounts, but it is possible.

Also remember to keep your email secure in the same manor! People do not realize how important an email account can be, but if they know your email account password than they can pretty much reset most of your passwords using your email via the "I forgot my password" feature in so many different things. Imagine something like your *** account being recovered in this manor, especially if *** is linked to your bank account. This can be serious stuff and truly shows how dangerous an easier password can be to have.

My suggestion if you have a hard time remembering passwords so use the same one on everything is to use a root password and add extra for each website.

For example, if your password is XBCH6270 and that is all you remember, for facebook use FAXBCH6270 for ebay EBXBCH6270, for gmail GMXBCH6270, or something similar, ending with last two or three letters of website name etc, lots of different things you can do.

Good luck, stay safe.
Petition to Eliminate "No Shaming" Rule from World Forums!

This is why OTM don't get a red alert for hacks. There are softwares that work outside of the game to hack any kind of unwanted activity, in this case generate a password if a username is predicted, which plays very well into hackers apples if someone's user is their players class name.

That's why I believe the option to keep your accout registered with as many desired accounts as you want should be implemented.