Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: State of the game: What's wrong

keep it free to play

i prefer to spend 100$ chunk 3-4 times a year than 10$ a month

the current model allows anyone to play, with the benefits of plat being enough of an incentive to buy plat and keep the game alive

class balance does need worked on, as do skills for all the classes
pigman, with the fury of the pigs and the mind of a man
level 210+ rogue
Morrigan
Avalon
put your pants on, we're going out

I agree w all yer points Marco except the first one- this game is actually free to play so let it stay like that.
Ya it is nice, but I think it causes more problems than it fixes. Like I said, one idea is those who don't have money can pay in gold, or if they aren't able to make payments, they could play a fun mini game (that should be open to all anyway) to make gold to get back in the game.

I actually think it would be exciting.
I immediately see an issue with this: if earning gold in-game to pay for playtime takes "a commitment", playing becomes a 'job' and I'm not going to work to play a game. If it only takes 30-45 minutes a month then it's too easy and few people will pay the $5 a month. I'm sure there's a balance somewhere, but I personally don't know where that line is. I actually think the plat store is pretty well laid out. It's Luxury items that are breaking the dynamic.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
I'm happy to help give input about what would make the game more enjoyable.
Here's some specific fixes I believe would greatly improve Celtic Heroes in the future:
1) Leave the existing content mostly alone. You'll imbalance it more than it is now.
--If you change anything, starting in Shalemont (and beyond) increase enemy armor values by 10%, lower magic resists by 5-10%. Create a comparative 15-20% boost to magic user effectiveness. Leave 5/6/7 star mobs unchanged.

New content:
1) Make alternate areas to train in. There needs to be more examples of the Early Shalemont/Catacombs divergence.
2) Make all new zones big. Like Otherworld big. Spread players out. Make leystones logically placed.
3) Implement the above mentioned relative enemy strength to all new mobs.
4) Increase enemy density. Think 4-6 druid pits, or faerie farms, per zone; not one.
5) curb the inflation of Lux items. I saw a post proposing a +100 regen amulet...that's so game breaking it's ludicrous, at any price. It's barely feasible with a required minimum level of 175.

There's alot of stuff that needs minor/moderate re-working, and a long-term vision. All in all, I still really enjoy the game, so please don't think it's all negative.

OK, had to double check to make sure I was reading the poster name correctly lol, as I thought you were Marco.

Pt#1: How exactly do you fix this, and again I ask, what is a "level playing field"? I come from a monthly/subscription model MMO back ground. Even with Absolutely No RMTs, there is still no level playing field. Someone who plays 60-80 hours a week will simply be more powerful than someone who plays 6-8 hours a week; and IMO as it should be.
In short: you can't fix Lux. It is what it is. But the ability of new/low level players with a couple of iTunes giftcards to by 1600 plat and turn it into half a million gold in a day and still factors heavily into the state of the game.
Pt#2: I will hazard a guess at this point that you haven't been a low level/new player in a while. Either that, or the magnitude of change you're talking about is Much bigger than what I'm thinking. Without a friend who loaned me 70K to help by my first lux (heroic ammy), and a great clan that geared me with most of the Warden stuff, those eyes in OW would have been Much Much harder for my ranger (first one to get there) than it is for my mage (2nd), who now has the "backing" of said ranger. If it's an issue of magnitude, then I go back to the issue of "not what's wrong with the game, but of a totally different game". I simply don't believe CH, as it is without a Major revision, cannot support a more group centric play style. I shudder to think of the hours wasted shouting just to get in a group just so I can level. Can't do that if I'm logging on for 20 mins for a quick play.
I don't think the magnitude of change needed is nearly as large as you think I think we need. I'm actually advocating only a subtle shift in difficulty to bring killing pace in line with DPS druids and mages. I'm talking long term rates like mobs per hour, not per kill. It's pretty frustrating to be grinding away killing a mob with my low DPS, and a rogue/DPS war/Ranger runs by and kills 3 of the same mob in the time it took me to kill one, then tap recup and first aid, and be back in business in 30 secs. Where's his incentive to do anything but solo, or if he does, he finds another DPS? Caster classes may have great burst DPS, but after a few kills, they gotta rest and refill that huge energy pool. This slows their overall mobs per hour rate. I just don't see the equivalent in the physical attack based classes. They just keep banging away.
I too, played the original EQ, and while I loved how hard it was then, as a college freshmen, in 1999, I don't want a group-only mentality now. I like being able to play for 15 or 20 minutes and make some progress. But in 20 minutes, some people will kill 6 mobs, and some will kill 30. And it all comes back to the triad: melee-based lux, low enemy difficulty, and low enemy volume.
Alot of people are going to scream that I want a nerf to DPS classes. I don't. I DON'T. I just want to feel like I'm not being punished because I chose a support class that doesn't shine until level 120. That's a long, lonely road. Ask any Druid.

In a nutshell, I bang my head against a wall, painfully grinding out solo exp because any DPS class in decent gear can sustainability kill mobs, at 3x my pace, with only the skills they have. Add in some lux gear and they lay waste to large swaths of an area. They don't need my help to maintain a killing pace. Support classes are unneeded in typical training groups. Lux items are invaluable for boss fights, but a Scavenger Lux caster offhand doesn't increase my mobs per hour like a golden blade of Ice does for a warrior.
The irony is that unless your clan is supportive and actively invites the mages and druids to ride the group exp wave, you have a pile of level 140 warriors and rogues, standing around a boss wondering why all the supports are lvl 100 (or lower! or switched to DPS classes!)

As far as level playing field, I mean that in a pay-to-play game, you can't 'buy your way to the top'. Here, there is an ever-widening in-game economic gap, buying enough plat to become a superstar is well within the realm of possibility. These are the "Haves". Those people buy say 1600 plat ($50), turn it into 400k+ gold selling elixers and idols, buy Lux items and dominate the whole area to the detriment of those that could probably afford to spend $5 a month on a game, but won't wait nearly a year until they have $50 set aside for a stupid video game. These are the 'Have-Nots' and they'll never succeed to the degree of the Haves, because they simply don't have as much fun money. I'm not advocating the everybody wins mentality either. I'm simply saying that Lux items create a snow-ball effect that those without have great difficulty overcoming. That's not fun.

Whew.
Sorry, on iPad now; can't manipulate keyboard as much.

Your first point, re discrepancy on kill per hour. This is the nature of the beast, and not something otm/ch can do anything about, again short of doing a major major over haul of the game. The only mmo I ever played that did ot have this issue, also did not have a class system. In Asheron's Call, everyone can heal, everyone can dps, at the same time, lol.

I have to disagree on the second point, re lux and great difficulty of overcoming it,on two fronts. One is that it's not that hard. Speaking from experience, I've been able to Slowly work on getting lux through "hard work". That said, and this is second front, it doesn't mean I am on equal footing with somene who paid RL money to get lux. But, does it matter? This is not a pvp game, and any conflict for the most part are avoided so l because players for the most part prefer to cooperate with each other rather than fight for each and every boss.

Sorry to say this, but for the most part, the only people I've encountered who didnt find it fun trying to compete with others wo have more... Are those who feel that they Need to compete for some reason. And cry foul usually after realizing that hey need to put thesame effort, in money or time, to get to that point.
World: Rhiannon

Please keep it free to play.
I've actually spent more on this game with it being free to play than I ever would have if it was a subscription. I'm not so sure I would have ever even tried it out had it been pay to play. I never tried O&C for that very reason.
I bought a play station over an x box using the same frame of thinking.

It's just my opinion, but please keep it free!

IMO

Keep it free to play

New classes
Class/or buffs , that increase stats 50+ STR for 2 mins

Class/skills, balances will aways be problem OTM needs to be on top of them

More perminit zones atm the game not in the stage to keep up with events and new perminit contents

Have mobs viraities like more tanker mobs or slower walking mobs not just diffrent skills using mobs

More zones in huge zones like 3 inside one to keep players in diffrent areas ,not just one way to hit lvl 140

Fixing bug ,no matter how small they are they make the game not enjoyable to play ,when on rug and your auto is on then you get hit you try run but frozen in auto mode ,or inventory there many more just these from top my head

Class flexibility ,warriors more tanking skills if he wants to be dps more dmg skills more skills for what ever role he goes ,same for all classes
16 boxer!! All Seeing One
Owner of 6 camos,2 broom of dooms,white carpet , 2011 HP pendant
First to take Necro down!!!

I agree w all yer points Marco except the first one- this game is actually free to play so let it stay like that.
Ya it is nice, but I think it causes more problems than it fixes. Like I said, one idea is those who don't have money can pay in gold, or if they aren't able to make payments, they could play a fun mini game (that should be open to all anyway) to make gold to get back in the game.

I actually think it would be exciting.
Ya like. Others say, it might be good it might be bad. Because it would make more people leave if we have to pay, but the paying gold thing is sorta interesting and different.

Positive side to this is dramatic drop in annoying noobs, scammers, and A-holes(:

So really both ways have their own positives and negatives.

I like your persoective on this i didn't realize it would really lessen scammers and such.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a class where skills cost more than other classes for same damage?
Why play a class with no auto attack?
Why play a class with 1/3 the armor?
Why play a caster?

Copy this sig! :)

Wiki: http://www.wisdomunderground.com/wiki

Please keep it free to play.
I've actually spent more on this game with it being free to play than I ever would have if it was a subscription. I'm not so sure I would have ever even tried it out had it been pay to play.
Ya but what you said is a fact for many many players as seen on my "how much have you spent" topic.

The problem is for the majority of us this almost uncontrolled spending leads to burnout. So instead of a steady predictable build-able amount of profit, there are spurts and binges and quitting.

And free to play seems to have backfired in this game for even the non-spenders since most quit by lvl 90 if they ever make it that far since the game favors the spenders so heavily. So even the people it benefits by f2p it looses.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a class where skills cost more than other classes for same damage?
Why play a class with no auto attack?
Why play a class with 1/3 the armor?
Why play a caster?

Copy this sig! :)

Wiki: http://www.wisdomunderground.com/wiki