Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: The Future of Celtic Heroes

I agree with most of these ideas and would like to see them in the game. I mentioned before about a forge, and I'd like to see that next update. One more idea I have to add is about Mage wands. I spend all my stat points on focus and vitality so my hit isn't strong. For me it's pointless to get new wands because it won't benefit me much. We need a Mage wand that can give more fire or ice to your skills instead of the wand attack.
World: Sulis- Class: Ranger

Xlegion and SirCappy bring up a lot of good points that I agree with entirely.

Stressing that CH is free to play is a brilliant way to attract new players. This should be one of the first things that a player sees when looking at the website and the iTunes page.

Also, first impressions are enormously important for both of these pages. Get rid of screenshots where a player is just standing there like a dolt and replace them with shots of a player/group doing something epic-looking. In the screenshots you should showcase the features that the game has to offer: clans, chat, classes, skills, variety of items, and so on. It won't hurt to add some text overlays to explain an image either. Change the app icon so that it's clean, eye-catching, and easy to remember, that drawing of the bearded guy is doing you no favors.

Another point I wanted to emphasize is scale. Castles should be bigger and more imposing on the landscape. The landscape should be vast and varied (rivers, mountains, lakes, swamps, pits, thick forests, etc.) Boss rooms should be enormous and overwhelm you with the theme of the Boss. Donn is the death god but his room is small and boring (or maybe it's just that I've been in there since June...). Give us some gigantic bosses to fight that require different strategies like a giant bird that flies and strikes at you with his claws. The point is that the scale of the environment and enemies needs to be overwhelming to really convey that the player's world is truly 'awesome' and 'epic.'

Edit: Probably the two biggest things that would set CH apart from other MMO apps would be Dynamic Events/Quests and Clan Wars. Each of these would make the game endlessly re-playable. Add moderate exp and loot rewards and players wouldn't feel as though they are just grinding away. New content from updates will always be a continuous demand, but giving players fun things to do in the meantime will keep the game from becoming just another big grindfest for levels and will keep players coming back for more.
Last edited by Vapor on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Actually there never were castles in Celtic times, or huge clans (I think).

Information from research:

sacred numbers (quite important): 3, heavy symbolic number. 17- days of the moon cycle- on 17th day, monumental happenings expected to take place. 27- 9 times 3 (tripled potency), number in war-bands and of the royal court. 33- royal or judiciary number, number in the court of the gods (including The king of gods himself)

Buildings: fortified farming villages and settlements. Ring forts very common, earthworks surrounding a single dwelling house.

Language: Ogham(later addition)

Armor: little real armor until 300 B.C.E when chain mail became very important. Indeed, chain mail was developed by the Celts. It was originally primarily worn by royalty figures, due to complex creation.

Much more information out there of course.

On Mage wands- it would be nice if you used the wands to cast spells, different wands enhance different spells. Mages just wouldn't have a melee attack, or if so maybe a very low variant of a fireball or energy ball type deal.

I agree with most of the things and that they are good. One stance I am going to take which may not be popular but probably makes sense is this. No PVP. The gameplay isn't really designed for dynamic good pvp. To take the Dev's time and effort from increasing the world, the storyline, the stuff that already exists in order to add a good pvp system is silly. To do an arena like that to have bets etc isn't a horrible idea but again too much work to make pvp truly good.
I posted in beta forums about giving players who eventually spend X real life dollars some cool stuff. Waiting to see the response I get in beta forums before I put anything on here about it.
Nasim

98 Warrior
Rosemerta
Epic

I love the idea of a clan having it's own territory but what should happen is that once a day there's clan battles and it happens for only 30 min and in that time clans defend there territory and you only have 1 life in this battle once u die ur done and you have to declare war on a clan so u can't just attack anyone and once the battle is over whoever is last alive wins and every territory you have you get better gold drops from eniemes?? Idk but that would be cool if this really happens

^Two words: Run-on Sentence xD

Anyway, after reading the 50 essays before me...

*Ahem*

Lots and lots of ideas have been mentioned here. The ones that I find important and easy to implement (not tha I know what's easy/not) are listed in order of importance as follows:

3) MARKET-
We really need somethin like this. Either where an NPC buys our goods and then offers them for sale at NPC prices, or a stand that we can put items for sale at our own prices (the latter being my preference). This location would be the Business stand for everyone. Where people would exchange goods whether by the system or not.

2) NON-AGGRESIVE ABILITIES-
These would let us do something more than killing bad guys and picking plants. A popular one that most have mentioned is Smithing/Crafting. Those are great! Why not Fishing? Or Cooking? Just things to level up that can be of some value or benefit. This one would require a bit more work by the fact that more Items/Animations/Terrain would need to be constructed too.

1) PvP-
I bring this up just like everyone else. I think people are getting far into it. Let's just have a set location-whether in the regular maps or set apart- where everyone and anyone can attack each other. Clans can figure out their own ways of handling clan wars now. And a betting system should be placed in, eventually. But for now quick and easy let's make a place to kill our peers.
Ghostman
Lvl 51
Ranger
World Herne
Chieftain of Infallible

Pvp would be good. I often get a desire to challenge and murder people I disagree with.

Along with pvp, of course, is add leaderboards to this. Pvp nobs are often obsessed with leaderboards to some extent. Make those who get obsessed feel like they are going somewhere. I could care less about pvp boards. In general though, I am a fan of statistics. Superficial- whatever. Is what it is.

But these leaderboards are already being implemented.

Maybe there could be added pvp type skills with abilities. Not sure what though..

One of the biggest problems I have seen complained about (mostly pocket legends) is the difficulty in balancing all classes across both pve and pvp without having two separate systems of playing. Maybe adding pvp specific skills (or skills only valuable in pvp) would be a way to balance out classes for pvp- with other skills catering to a balance in the pve arena.

The betting idea is something I think would be good too... Idk if you would have to raise the game rating though. If betting was implemented, lots of thought would need to go into making it very secure. Lots of checker windows and stuff. People complain a lot about that kind of thing. Betting gear too.

For pvp more:

At the end of every round refresh everything. Skills, health, mana.
Option of different pvp "win"s. Ex. Best of 3 rounds, 5 rounds, etc.
Tie rounds (everyone dead at end). Equal a cancelled round- rematch round.
End of a round is equal to all players of one side being dead.
Add some comically profane emotes for pvp (wagging butt around, jumping, whatever).
I personally hate cluttered pvp spaces, but having at different locations as has been suggested would be good. Some open spots in game.
Have dynamic group battles. Have "simulations" of battles between clans. Like one group has fewer members allowed but more defensive bonuses. Or you have to kill a certain leader who is given double armor, health points, etc but fewer defenders. Lots of options. Another one is land based. Infinite full respawns (full health and mana) for everyone, but you respawn at your "base camp" or clan hut. To win you have to capture all of the land (destroy outpost markers of some sort) and destroy the others base (like a big wall with a ton of health or something).

Lots of stuff you can do with pvp.

Also, find some way to attack a monetary payment to pvp. Pay to unlock areas, or obtain certain pvp skills. If you put a lot of effort into pvp, there needs to be some extra gain out of it or just a waste of developing time from an economical point of view. People are already paying for sigils and skill slots that correspond to regular pve playtime.

Don't forget some way to protect/educate new players (quest system) about pvp so big players don't scare them off by making pvp matches over in 2 seconds and impossible for them to get anywhere. Always discouraging for new players when they get frustrated cause biggies discourage them by making things difficult or not worth effort.

There are a few german speaking iphone/ipod/ipad pages that have allot readers. It might be a way to write a little promotion of the game and sent it too pages like that. Also gaming magazines might be a possible way to promote. Not shure how much this will cost to get a article of the game but i think devs could find out if its worth.
-Username: DeathDruid
-Retired Druid
-Druid on the server Danu

-Username: Similius
-Retired Rogue
-First lvl 60 on Server Danu

Am i the only one that has absolutely no desire for PVP? Here are my 2 major issues with PVP, the other ones are personal so i wont post them.
Issue 1. PVP has always taken away content away from PVE and development time.
Issue 2. Game balance has never worked, both sides will never be fully pleased, if i am wrong please correct me. No MMO has ever master PVE/PVP game balance.
Frank [Dead] | Gareldar [Dead]
Arawn since 2011

Am i the only one that has absolutely no desire for PVP?
Maybe, but I think there was someone else...
Issue 1. PVP has always taken away content away from PVE and development time.
The real draw for PvP is that it gives us something to do when we're tired of grinding. Those of us that have been sitting around in the Catacombs since June are bored out of our minds. The same restlessness is going to repeat over and over as players master the latest content. PvP would be a nice change of pace and a good way to pacify players while new content is being worked on. Honestly, I'm more interested in Clan Wars where teamwork and tactics will be the key to victory.
Issue 2. Game balance has never worked, both sides will never be fully pleased, if i am wrong please correct me. No MMO has ever master PVE/PVP game balance.
There are actually plenty of games that have great balance in PvP. As long as every class is weak to certain types of damage then it's relatively easy to create general balance. For example, warriors could be weak to magic, mages could be weak to piercing attacks, rangers could be weak to dagger attacks, rogues could be weak to nature magic, and druids could be weak to slash and crush. You see where I'm going?

Another thing, if you don't like PvP then you don't have to participate. I'm sure there's plenty of lonely mobs out there waiting for a good fight.