Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Question to admins about Beta

Just a quick question to the admins about closed beta, what qualifys someone to get into the closed beta? Can understand if it was said that its based on people from the first open beta tests or from people they know who are active on forums. Only reason I ask is due to not knowing about any type of closed beta for the next pvp boss arena update although I have been part of multiple open and closed beta tests while otm was in charge back in the day and getting no reply from diffinitus about the closed beta and how I could apply myself around a month ago. So was just wondering if when it comes to closed beta will this be decided on who are in the current closed beta or will they allow other people to join future closed betas?
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Rogue - Creativity Level 210
Warrior - Private Level 215
Ranger - Level 180+
Worlds - Mabon, Epona and rhiannon

Re: Question to admins about Beta

Just a quick question to the admins about closed beta, what qualifys someone to get into the closed beta?
+1
YouTube: MrScar Celtic Heroes

MrScar
Incendo
Surculus
Scariino

Concordiia, Donn - 25th aug, 2015
Concruiit 25th april, 2017
------------------------------------------------

As far as I know, there is no current closed beta going on. I'm also not sure what you mean by "next pvp boss arena update"...

In order to apply to be part of an upcoming beta, you will need to fill out and submit a form that is provided by VR before the beta begins. That form is usually included in the initial beta announcement. There has not been an announcement of an upcoming beta yet, so as of the time I'm writing this, there is no way to apply for a beta.

In the past, for closed betas, a limited number of players were selected from the list of people who submitted the initial beta registration form. I'm not 100% sure how they decide who is invited to the closed beta, but I'm guessing that they will prioritize some of the players who were helpful in previous betas. VR has all the old beta forums saved, so they can look back and see who was good about reporting bugs and constructive feedback.

That being said, they don't only pick previous testers, I'd guess that they probably have a list of 1-2 dozen players who they know will give good feedback, then after that it's probably just random selection to fill it out.

If VR plans to do a beta for this upcoming update, I would guess that it would probably start in the next week or two...so keep an eye on the forums and social media for an official announcement!
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

As far as I know, there is no current closed beta going on. I'm also not sure what you mean by "next pvp boss arena update"...

In order to apply to be part of an upcoming beta, you will need to fill out and submit a form that is provided by VR before the beta begins. That form is usually included in the initial beta announcement. There has not been an announcement of an upcoming beta yet, so as of the time I'm writing this, there is no way to apply for a beta.

In the past, for closed betas, a limited number of players were selected from the list of people who submitted the initial beta registration form. I'm not 100% sure how they decide who is invited to the closed beta, but I'm guessing that they will prioritize some of the players who were helpful in previous betas. VR has all the old beta forums saved, so they can look back and see who was good about reporting bugs and constructive feedback.

That being said, they don't only pick previous testers, I'd guess that they probably have a list of 1-2 dozen players who they know will give good feedback, then after that it's probably just random selection to fill it out.

If VR plans to do a beta for this upcoming update, I would guess that it would probably start in the next week or two...so keep an eye on the forums and social media for an official announcement!
Theres currently a closed beta going on, maybe not open currently but I know people who are in the beta and have the beta application downloaded, as there is no anouncement for this it must be a closed beta as the admins have only invited those they trust I guess instead of allowing people to apply for the closed beta (I know they allow people to apply to open betas also)
not trying to start anything also with my post was just curious because ive been playing since 2011 and have been in quite a few betas in the past and would love to be in future open and closed betas helping out as I do have the lvl reqs along with the knowledge down. Plus who wouldnt love to test new content.
Also thats what i was wondering with the beta, as I know people who are in the beta currently and when it comes to past closed betas like you did say there would usually be an application process but thats something that i havent seen this time around which was making me wonder if VR were hand picking their applicants from people they know well or know are active on forums, as i know 2 people who talk to some admins often got in.
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Ranger - Level 180+

I suppose it's possible that VR is doing an extremely limited closed beta, I suppose it would make sense at this time, if the release is still planned for late April...just to quickly get some last content tweaks and bug fixes in before release.

Regardless of whether there is a currently running beta or not, if VR wants you involved, they will ask you...whether it's via a PM specifically to you, or just a general announcement with a form to fill out.

If there is a closed beta going on right now, the players who are in it are probably not supposed to be discussing it with others, so we probably shouldn't discuss it either. My suggestion is to just keep an eye out for official announcements!

I spoke with one of the people in closed beta, they informed me that VR messaged a few players asking them to participate, from there VR added people that the ones they picked suggested. Essentially, it was a huge cliquey "whoever we like most" thing.

I spoke with one of the people in closed beta, they informed me that VR messaged a few players asking them to participate, from there VR added people that the ones they picked suggested. Essentially, it was a huge cliquey "whoever we like most" thing.
Basically how I saw it, it seemed pretty biased as a few people I know who are in currently are in the beta due to having the admins on line and knowing them well as friends, id prefer the admins to make choices on a players knowledge of the game and those who have been around for a long time/being included in old beta tests and finding bugs etc to do these beta tests (closed betas to atleast have an application process, open betas open to everyone)
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Ranger - Level 180+

Basically how I saw it, it seemed pretty biased as a few people I know who are in currently are in the beta due to having the admins on line and knowing them well as friends, id prefer the admins to make choices on a players knowledge of the game and those who have been around for a long time/being included in old beta tests and finding bugs etc to do these beta tests (closed betas to atleast have an application process, open betas open to everyone)
Tbh, idrc about all that as long as I get the same prize(if there is any) for participating in open beta cuz that's just cold to hand-select people then let them pick the rest and give them all a special prize that's available to nobody else

In my opinion, it depends on what VR wants tested. If they just want to test the general user experience, or test for bugs, there isn't really a need for players with vast amounts of game knowledge or experience with prior betas. You would want someone with a very close attention to detail, who can spend large amounts of time repeating the same things multiple times trying to break it. Beta testing is actually one of the most boring things to do in game development...it tends to be highly repetitive, doing the same thing a hundred different times to try and see if anything breaks. The downside of open betas (and even closed betas occasionally) is that most people don't do that...they use it as a chance to see the new stuff before everyone else...which is completely understandable, but that's not the point of betas.

The fact that VR only picked certain people seems like a pretty smart choice to me. The last beta for the recent engine update turned into a "cliquey" gathering pretty quickly, with a lot of testers spending more time in the castle/arena than out looking for bugs and testing the new content.

Tbh, idrc about all that as long as I get the same prize(if there is any) for participating in open beta cuz that's just cold to hand-select people then let them pick the rest and give them all a special prize that's available to nobody else
I think this thought process is the main problem. Players want to participate in betas because of the reward, not because they want to contribute to the game. That's why I think there shouldn't be any reward, or at least severely limit it to only the players who contributed greatly - I liked that VR had requirements for the rewards in the last beta, I just hope that they are going to be strict in following them.

If players only participate in the beta to get the reward, they will almost always only do the absolute minimum required, because their focus is on what they get out of it, rather than what the company gets out of it. It makes way more sense to pick a selective group of players who VR knows will have good feedback and will be thorough in testing everything they are asked to.

I’d like to know how many people in closed beta are 220+. And why people under 220 were chosen since the new boss will be 220 and that will presumably be the jewel in the crown of the update. I appreciate the efforts VR are making to get us new and different content but the closed beta selection seems to be who talks a lot on the forum regardless of level, raid experience, closed beta experience or even how much they actually play.

The Closed beta crew for Gardens were brilliant.. invested in the best possible update, really active in the beta and able to make great suggestions based on their in-depth experience of the game at all levels. The reason being those people applied and had to explain what they could offer, their level etc and availability before being accepted.
MrsDredd - 223 Rogue
Penny Dreadful - 220 Tank Warrior
NurseDredd - 220 Druid
DreadOnFire - 220 Fire Mage
Dreadshot - 220 Ranger
Dreadlocks - 190 Locker

Pegasus, Lugh
Celtic Heroes noob since September 2017