Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Question to admins about Beta

It would be helpful if this time VR allowed the android servers to test all the same aspects of the update as the iOS servers.
The chests were not supposed to be tested at the start of the last beta. That was a mistake on VR’s part when setting up the beta, not intentional. It was also not relevant, there was nothing to test in the chests. That just shows how many people mess around during betas and don’t actually test what they are supposed to.

I hope they selected players from all servers?
This doesn’t matter. Server choice has no impact on someone’s ability to run around and test things.

The android BT Gardens open beta was not much interesting since (to my knowledge) we only had enough to attempt faction bosses.

Hope for this area you include toons from all worlds and both Android/IoS so all can learn more about the mechanics and test the new functionalities.
There was a lot more to test in the gardens beta than just the bosses. IOS tested the bosses, so Android didn’t need to, thus allowing Android testers to focus on other parts of the beta. Betas are run so that things can be tested before full release...not so that all players can test everything. VR doesn’t care whether Android or IOS tests something, as long as bugs are found.

Betas are not run so that players can learn any new mechanics in advance, they are there so that the company can find bugs and mistakes. As such, it doesn’t really matter what server or clan the testers are from. Device choice does matter, because there could be issues that are device specific. It’s just unfortunate that not quite as many people play on Android, making that beta a lot smaller.

The point of a beta is to help the company, not the player
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

It would be helpful if this time VR allowed the android servers to test all the same aspects of the update as the iOS servers.
The chests were not supposed to be tested at the start of the last beta. That was a mistake on VR’s part when setting up the beta, not intentional. It was also not relevant, there was nothing to test in the chests. That just shows how many people mess around during betas and don’t actually test what they are supposed to.

This doesn’t matter. Server choice has no impact on someone’s ability to run around and test things.

The android BT Gardens open beta was not much interesting since (to my knowledge) we only had enough to attempt faction bosses.

Hope for this area you include toons from all worlds and both Android/IoS so all can learn more about the mechanics and test the new functionalities.
There was a lot more to test in the gardens beta than just the bosses. IOS tested the bosses, so Android didn’t need to, thus allowing Android testers to focus on other parts of the beta. Betas are run so that things can be tested before full release...not so that all players can test everything. VR doesn’t care whether Android or IOS tests something, as long as bugs are found.

Betas are not run so that players can learn any new mechanics in advance, they are there so that the company can find bugs and mistakes. As such, it doesn’t really matter what server or clan the testers are from. Device choice does matter, because there could be issues that are device specific. It’s just unfortunate that not quite as many people play on Android, making that beta a lot smaller.

I agree about the point of beta. It isn't true, though, that it doesn't matter if only iOS or Android tested and reported bugs. There have been many, many times that there were bugs and glitches on one platform and not the same, or even not at all on the other.

I agree about the point of beta. It isn't true, though, that it doesn't matter if only iOS or Android tested and reported bugs. There have been many, many times that there were bugs and glitches on one platform and not the same, or even not at all on the other.
You're right, and that's why I pointed out that device choice does matter.

The only time I said it wouldn't matter iOS vs Android is when it comes to raid encounters. That being said, I suppose it could be possible that there would be device specific bugs in a raid scenario, though I think it's quite unlikely. I'd guess that any bugs that are found in a raid would be server-side, and therefore the same on any device (e.g. bugged boss skills or mechanics).

Either way, I don't recall there being many actual bugs with raid encounters in past updates. I could very well be wrong though, it has been a while and there's no way to look back at what was reported with past betas.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

I’d like to know how many people in closed beta are 220+. And why people under 220 were chosen since the new boss will be 220 and that will presumably be the jewel in the crown of the update. I appreciate the efforts VR are making to get us new and different content but the closed beta selection seems to be who talks a lot on the forum regardless of level, raid experience, closed beta experience or even how much they actually play.

The Closed beta crew for Gardens were brilliant.. invested in the best possible update, really active in the beta and able to make great suggestions based on their in-depth experience of the game at all levels. The reason being those people applied and had to explain what they could offer, their level etc and availability before being accepted.
I'd say the beta for cg was a massive failure. We still have bugs from that update. Imo the best thing vr could do was tell all the old beta testers thanks but no thanks

I’d like to know how many people in closed beta are 220+. And why people under 220 were chosen since the new boss will be 220 and that will presumably be the jewel in the crown of the update. I appreciate the efforts VR are making to get us new and different content but the closed beta selection seems to be who talks a lot on the forum regardless of level, raid experience, closed beta experience or even how much they actually play.

The Closed beta crew for Gardens were brilliant.. invested in the best possible update, really active in the beta and able to make great suggestions based on their in-depth experience of the game at all levels. The reason being those people applied and had to explain what they could offer, their level etc and availability before being accepted.
I'd say the beta for cg was a massive failure. We still have bugs from that update. Imo the best thing vr could do was tell all the old beta testers thanks but no thanks
People get so fixated on the boss that they don’t test for bugs. I heard plenty of bad stories from the CG beta, and a lot of new faces have been brought in that I know of.
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

I guess you missed the comment saying "test the new functionalities"

And yes people from all worlds should be invited imcl android users.
Different servers might provide different feedback on the changes.

VR may have decided to follow a different way on this Beta. They are also human and can make mistakes. If they hand picked players to test new boss and things, it's because they trust those who were picked. I'm sure they have picked players who are experienced and can give a good feed back.

Important thing is here how they will react after they get feedback from testers. As long as they listen to them and make changes (if it is needed) I will be happy. At the end we all want a good, balanced update.

Hi, as a beta tester, there have been all kinds of players picked. Not necessarily the players that have them on Line and are end-game experienced and such. There are lower lvl players as well.

I believe the picking has been mainly done based on forums participation, and how well informed each player was. Being active is one thing, being a seasoned player who has very good grasp on the game is another. The non-eg players were mainly picked for non-eg testing.
The first rule of Closed Beta is you don’t talk about Closed Beta!
6B91F751-EF75-408B-93D3-090681EF70C2.png
(thats leaking btw :p)
As bitey showed, there is no leaking on the beta except what VR allows (like saying theres new boss, therefore ofc new gear). Im not entirely against handpicking players, as we have seen in most past betas the result was bad (bt, necro and gele all buffed/nerfed multiple times). So if so far the result of every beta was bad, I dont see why not try something new.

Would u be happier if u were in beta, even if ur not best fit (no one specific), or if u werent in beta but instead someone whos likely a more experienced player was in and the result would be much better? In other words, what makes u happier - the prestige of being beta tester, or a successful result of beta?
See thats the thing tbh, theres players like myself who would love to be in beta who are not active on the forums, for me that is mainly due to me being the type that prefers to play the game as best as i can along with doing what I can to be the best as ive showed in the past on my server. But for me when it comes to beta testing, ive played since 2011 not that it means a lot in regards to testing but ive played for a long period of time and have seen the game grow year by year, with the old days of runescape I have great memories of this game and to be in closed and open betas is a great feeling imo, not only because you get to see the new content but because youre part of the games progression and you get to help the developers of the game by testing thw new bosses, the new weapons, lux, whatever is added to the game, it may be tedious and boring at times but in the end those in the beta tests are helping solidify the content (stopping bugs glitches etc from getting through the cracks) for the current players.

I dont feel like I should be in every beta that there is but would just love the chance of being in closed beta tests even if im not active on the forums (not including the forum groups for beta testers to report feedback). Just having a closed beta form to fill in with reasons why the player should be in the beta tests as they do for open betas would be nice and im sure those who didnt get in and do put in the effort would agree with that.

Ps im not trying to slate or talk sh*t to anyone in the current closed beta as im sure theres a lot of great players in there, just annoyed at how it was brought together i guess
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Rogue - Creativity Level 210
Warrior - Private Level 215
Ranger - Level 180+
Worlds - Mabon, Epona and rhiannon

Hi, as a beta tester, there have been all kinds of players picked. Not necessarily the players that have them on Line and are end-game experienced and such. There are lower lvl players as well.

I believe the picking has been mainly done based on forums participation, and how well informed each player was. Being active is one thing, being a seasoned player who has very good grasp on the game is another. The non-eg players were mainly picked for non-eg testing.
The first rule of Closed Beta is you don’t talk about Closed Beta!
6B91F751-EF75-408B-93D3-090681EF70C2.png
(thats leaking btw :p)
As bitey showed, there is no leaking on the beta except what VR allows (like saying theres new boss, therefore ofc new gear). Im not entirely against handpicking players, as we have seen in most past betas the result was bad (bt, necro and gele all buffed/nerfed multiple times). So if so far the result of every beta was bad, I dont see why not try something new.

Would u be happier if u were in beta, even if ur not best fit (no one specific), or if u werent in beta but instead someone whos likely a more experienced player was in and the result would be much better? In other words, what makes u happier - the prestige of being beta tester, or a successful result of beta?
See thats the thing tbh, theres players like myself who would love to be in beta who are not active on the forums, for me that is mainly due to me being the type that prefers to play the game as best as i can along with doing what I can to be the best as ive showed in the past on my server. But for me when it comes to beta testing, ive played since 2011 not that it means a lot in regards to testing but ive played for a long period of time and have seen the game grow year by year, with the old days of runescape I have great memories of this game and to be in closed and open betas is a great feeling imo, not only because you get to see the new content but because youre part of the games progression and you get to help the developers of the game by testing thw new bosses, the new weapons, lux, whatever is added to the game, it may be tedious and boring at times but in the end those in the beta tests are helping solidify the content (stopping bugs glitches etc from getting through the cracks) for the current players.

I dont feel like I should be in every beta that there is but would just love the chance of being in closed beta tests even if im not active on the forums (not including the forum groups for beta testers to report feedback). Just having a closed beta form to fill in with reasons why the player should be in the beta tests as they do for open betas would be nice and im sure those who didnt get in and do put in the effort would agree with that.

Ps im not trying to slate or talk sh*t to anyone in the current closed beta as im sure theres a lot of great players in there, just annoyed at how it was brought together i guess
That is solely my guess, I cant really give u their reasoning as I dont know either, just a possible reason.
#NerfMages #AvoidBalance #WhyPlayARogue #MeatShieldOnly #HealingSlavesOnly

OP dps warrior on Belenus, hot af melee druid on Nuada. #Elementals #Apex

Beta testers can point out bugs but they don’t necessarily get fixed. Likewise stuff gets changed by devs between the beta and release. So to write off the whole CG closed team is short sighted. We also didn’t get a reward for it btw. Not saying every person was amazing but there was a core group testing for bugs, glitches (even visiting 200 room to see if the zombie imp was fixed). And having drops below Royal removed from bt loot and stopping puri pots coming off on death amongst other things.

Likewise I’m not writing off the whole selection for this beta but it seems it’s only been open to people who are very active on the forum, regardless if they’ve ever attended a raid higher than necro, or indeed ever leave the castle. And if the new raid isn’t the jewel in the crown why is the whole stickied teaser post about it...
MrsDredd - 223 Rogue
Penny Dreadful - 220 Tank Warrior
NurseDredd - 220 Druid
DreadOnFire - 220 Fire Mage
Dreadshot - 220 Ranger
Dreadlocks - 190 Locker

Pegasus, Lugh
Celtic Heroes noob since September 2017