Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Name Scamming

A key tip: NEVER TRADE WITH A LEVEL 1. Pay attention to who the trade is with. Yes, it's little more effort, but the information is there.
+1 this takes only a second and saves so much grief.
Also there are only 2 reasons you will ever see a level 1 in the castle: if it’s someones bank (generally named such (guilty ;) ), or they’re a scammer who saved 2 minutes by running past the quest-line to get to the castle.
Seriously, (banks aside) there is almost no reason for a player to get to castle under level 5 (or very close).)
However, even if there does happen to be an inexperienced player who does make it to the castle, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will randomly start asking end/mid game players for the most expensive piece of gear they can see that they own... :D
Edit: clarity.
Last edited by Mind on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus Lugh Signature & Profile artwork by Angmar Reid
Mindreader ♥ Lethal Ninja (Doge Dandolo/Photon/Shazaam/Staboteur)
AH Dupe Glitch, Community Discord, Database, Bitey's Guide

Support isn't on forums; email issues to support@onethumbmobile.com

A key tip: NEVER TRADE WITH A LEVEL 1. Pay attention to who the trade is with. Yes, it's little more effort, but the information is there.
Also there are only 2 reasons you will ever see a level 1 in the castle: if it’s someones bank (generally named such), or they’re a scammer who saved 2 minutes by running past the quest-line to get to the castle.
Seriously, (banks aside) there is almost no reason for an honest player to get to castle under level 5 (or very close).)
However, even if there does happen to be an inexperienced player who does make it to the castle, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will randomly start asking end/mid game players for the most expensive piece of gear they can see that they own...
You're 100% right in what you're saying, but you're not getting the point of the post.

This isn't "random lvl 1A" asking for free swag. This is someone hiding in castle out of site whispering someone while using the name of someone who is known. You're not seeing a non geared, basic fash toon that you will instantly recognize as a lvl 1 scammer. You're just seeing a familiar name.

When someone you know in game whispers you is your first reaction to check the area for their level? No, you see the name so you assume it is who they want you to think they are.

What's the difference between MichaeI Artisan and Michael Artisan and which is which? And yes, they are both spelled differently.

Even when you go to trade your first instinct is generally to see the familiar name, not really to check the level. And no I didn't get scammed, but it really bothers me that someone can use my name and rep to purposely scam others and OTM basically does nothing about it.
Michael Artisan - Warrior, Blake Artisan - Rogue, Ren Artisan - Ranger, Gabriel Artisan - Mage, Yaray (until VR let's me add Artisan to the name) - Druid

Guardian Deity of Danu

Buying White Lanrik Pants on Danu!!!!

Also there are only 2 reasons you will ever see a level 1 in the castle: if it’s someones bank (generally named such), or they’re a scammer who saved 2 minutes by running past the quest-line to get to the castle.
Seriously, (banks aside) there is almost no reason for an honest player to get to castle under level 5 (or very close).)
However, even if there does happen to be an inexperienced player who does make it to the castle, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will randomly start asking end/mid game players for the most expensive piece of gear they can see that they own...
You're 100% right in what you're saying, but you're not getting the point of the post.

This isn't "random lvl 1A" asking for free swag. This is someone hiding in castle out of site whispering someone while using the name of someone who is known. You're not seeing a non geared, basic fash toon that you will instantly recognize as a lvl 1 scammer. You're just seeing a familiar name.

When someone you know in game whispers you is your first reaction to check the area for their level? No, you see the name so you assume it is who they want you to think they are.

What's the difference between MichaeI Artisan and Michael Artisan and which is which? And yes, they are both spelled differently.

Even when you go to trade your first instinct is generally to see the familiar name, not really to check the level. And no I didn't get scammed, but it really bothers me that someone can use my name and rep to purposely scam others and OTM basically does nothing about it.
We ban users that are found to be doing this. We are also working on putting in more restrictions for trade to help prevent this such as level restrictions. To say we're doing nothing is incorrect. We are probably going to inherit ALL TRADES ARE FINAL with the extremely rare exception once we can have an internal meeting to review all points.

...you're not getting the point of the post.
...unless the thread is exclusively about the developer's role in solving this issue, there was nothing out of place with affirming a specific example of player awareness.
Yes, actually, that is my first instinct... This is a habit that I try to adhere to and highly recommend.
...what is the difference? :lol:
On the trade window it lists the level...
While I recognize this isn't as blatant a warning as it could be, I will again reiterate the methodology of above: make these habits as they don't take that much time and are much better than the alternative.
I'm not saying this to be a goody-2-shoes, I'm saying this because someone might care enough to pay attention next time, and that definitely is the point of this post...

As to OTM's "doing nothing about it": First, OTM is not at all obligated to arbitrate any trades, for any reason, ever; it is the player's responsibility to guarantee their own satisfaction on all trades (it does mention a few things along those lines in a few places...). Second, OTM has in many cases (with ample definite evidence from multiple, credible sources) restored items and banned offending accounts and this has server as a mild deterrent in of itself. Third, most of OTM's UK staff (sorry Tadaaah, but its a more precise answer :D) can fit into a single room, so give them a break if they don't get around to your problem; they've got to deal with a few thousand other people too...
Edit: not directed at any one individual, but there have been a series of similar complaints in the past bit (as in the past 6 years ;) )

(@Tadaaah, while I do recognize that this is a problem, I would like to note that many people who have level 1 banks (95% of all bank alts) would be very handicapped if a level-based trade restriction were added to the game. If this indeed is going to be implemented, might I suggest that level-1s would still be able to receive trades, if not initiate them. ;)
Also, as an idea for an additional deterrent for the future: Add the player's level to the trade accept/decline popup when they first ask to trade with you (Ex: "Mlndfake (3) wants to trade") This will certainly not eliminate this entirely, but should add another level of awareness to the general public.)
Last edited by Mind on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Even if you add our Thailand office, we still all fit in a single room. Lol!

Yes, nothing set in stone. We were discussing different ways. Adding the level pull to the code may not be too difficult or time-consuming. The bank accounts are something we have to take into consideration.

...unless the thread is exclusively about the developer's role in solving this issue
That's exactly what it's about actually....

Yes, actually, that is my first instinct... This is a habit that I try to adhere to and highly recommend.
Cool story bro. Makes perfect sense. But there are a lot of younger, trusting people playing. They see a "friend" ask for gear or to help them with something and they are eager to help. One person on the server actually said that's how they try to build friendships. Not everyone plays the game for the same reason.

Me: down bosses, get gear, kill time, repeat
Some others: make friends

An people who do this are taking advantage of others and it's messed up. It's not OTM's job to be the "trade police" (as they've obviously alluded to) but if there are people who are blatantly and purposely defrauding others then I would think that would violate some kind of terms of service. If not then its still not good for business to allow that to continue.
...what is the difference? :lol:
One is spelled with a lower case L and the other is spelled with an upper case i. But as a whisper or a shout they look exactly the same.
We ban users that are found to be doing this. We are also working on putting in more restrictions for trade to help prevent this such as level restrictions. To say we're doing nothing is incorrect. We are probably going to inherit ALL TRADES ARE FINAL with the extremely rare exception once we can have an internal meeting to review all points.
You ban the user. Ok. They've already transferred anything valuable to their main account and all the have to do is create another account mimicking a different name or finding a creative way of mimicking the same one. Long term that's equivalent to doing nothing.

Restrictions wint do much. But if I know that if I'm found scamming on a lvl 1 alt that I'll get an IP ban and won't get to benefit from my scammed goods on any of my other accounts....that's one heck of a deterrent.

The idea isn't that OTM is literally doing "nothing". The trade scam warning post is right at the top of forums. But doing something that's ineffective when more can be done is just about the same to someone whose affected.

And again, I didn't get scammed, buy my names being used. And I'm not trying to get confusing whispers from people asking me when they are getting back something they "loaned me".
Michael Artisan - Warrior, Blake Artisan - Rogue, Ren Artisan - Ranger, Gabriel Artisan - Mage, Yaray (until VR let's me add Artisan to the name) - Druid

Guardian Deity of Danu

...there are a lot of younger, trusting people playing. They see a "friend" ask for gear or to help them with something and they are eager to help. One person on the server actually said that's how they try to build friendships.
I get the player sentiment (kinda why I like spreading awareness when possible :) ). Unfortunately, these are the most vulnerable people.
Not everyone plays the game for the same reason.
An people who do this are taking advantage of others and it's messed up.
Agreed. However, it'll be hard to directly solve moral depravity on a large scale (especially from a developer's perspective; kinda hard to objectively incentivize honesty in a game :lol: )
It's not OTM's job to be the "trade police" (as they've obviously alluded to) but if there are people who are blatantly and purposely defrauding others then I would think that would violate some kind of terms of service. If not then its still not good for business to allow that to continue.
Agreed. However, I don't think a good fix will be easily implementable
Restrictions won't do much. But if I know that if I'm found scamming on a lvl 1 alt that I'll get an IP ban and won't get to benefit from my scammed goods on any of my other accounts....that's one heck of a deterrent.
This would be an effective deterrent. However, I think they keep this as a last resort kinda like an overkill step that they
hope to avoid.

(Agree that this is a larger problem than it ideally should be, and I hope that there is a/some solution(s) to this, but in the mean time, the best thing that the players can do is spread awareness about vulnerabilities and (potential) scammers. (insert McCarthyism reference :lol: )

Edit: Accuracy/Conciseness
Last edited by Mind on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

i once met a name impersonator, his name was NotShivah. i did some research to find out who he was and turns out drunk me had made that account on my second device
Ascension

227+ Rogue
221+ Mage
200+ Warrior
220+ Mage
200 Rogue
210+ Druid

Perma banned from ch friends band for spamming no u ft. Rogue81 & W7CH

Rogue BT Kill 09/20/2019

39th Full Doch, 14th Rogue - Danu

i once met a name impersonator, his name was NotShivah. i did some research to find out who he was and turns out drunk me had made that account on my second device
Uh...thanks for sharing....

Has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about lol. If he put 5hivah or Shlvah or Shivahh in an attempt to actually impersonate you then sure. But the "not" part kinda gives it away lol

Guardian Deity of Danu

You just made me giggle.

Yes, we legally can ban whatever accounts we deem fit to ban. Please review the Terms of Service.