Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Tired of your keyboard disappearing? Try this!

Hello there, friends!
This issue with my keyboard disappearing was making me mad. So I personally hand-picked and tested about 17 keyboards (obscure ones too) that I could find on Play Store. But before I tell you which one is best for me, I think I should explain why is this happening in first place.

For starters, I'm using Acer Iconia One 7 (B1-730HD to be exact) which has 1GB RAM and Dual Core Intel processor.

I was running the game on max specs with only the draw distance set at medium and it was running fine outside the Farcrag Castle, which is the busiest area in the game. But when I tried to reply or simply say something, anything, my keyboard either popped up and then immediately closed or it wouldn't appear at all. By making matters worse, the busier the area got (more players on screen or in Farcrag Courtyard) the game crashed because the RAM couldn't handle the load. So, you pretty much guessed it - the problem is not in the game, per se, but in your free RAM and the keyboard you're using.

So, let's see how much RAM the most popular keyboard on Android takes up - gBoard a.k.a Google's own keyboard: after the latest update it takes up around 130 MB of RAM! The Fleksy keyboard uses 88 MB, while the TouchPal and SwiftKey both use around 76-80 MB RAM.
For some reason, the in-game option "Hide Chat Input" doesn't work for me and I'm stuck with using my keyboard and that takes up a lot of RAM when typing (even on min. specs). So, to make this post as useful and short as possible, I won't list all of the keyboards I tested - you just have to trust me on this one.

CM Keyboard (28 MB RAM) and Multiling O Keyboard + (16 MB RAM) are the most RAM-friendly.
Personally, I'm using the CM Keyboard because of uncluttered UI and more modern look overall. It's multilingual and supports predictions, which is all I need.
Both of them are totally free by the way.

So, in order to get the keyboard work properly in game you need to replace the one you're using now by my suggested examples and see if that works for you.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to tone down your graphics settings, at least when you're in Farcrag Castle, to prevent crashes and keyboard issues.

And that's it! Hope this little post helps someone.
Let me know what you think in the comments below ( maybe I missed some other lightweight keyboards).
Thanks for reading! ;)
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Re: Tired of your keyboard disappearing? Try this!

Thanks Vikki,

Multiling is usually the keyboard I suggest in similar circumstances do to the very low RAM usage when compared to other keyboards.

Also if you ever encounter any input issues on so of the UI screens you can try turning off the 'Hide Chat Input' option in the in-game option menu and that should help.

Cheers,

Esq
"It was like that when I got here"